The Careers/Jobs thread

Tayls

2 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

In March I took on a fair bit more responsibility at work. Basically involved being in charge of the entire supply chain at one of our smaller sites. This is alongside my actual job, so I'm doing a LOT more.

At the time I didn't ask for a pay rise, but I was planning to, because obviously I deserved it.

Anyway, just as I'd arrnaged the 1:1 to ask for it after I'd done the job (successfully) for a couple of months, my director told me he was promoting me. As in, I was already doing the job, so I'd be getting the official promotion to the next grade up.

Great I thought. That's basically what i was going to be asking for. 

But when I asked if there was a pay rise he said no. I do get a company car which is great, don't get me wrong, and I'm grateful. But I still felt like it was taking the piss a bit. So I pleaded my case and he said money was tight with the company at the moment (and it is to be fair) but that he would make a case for me.

It's taken ages to go through so I assumed it was because of the payrise.

Finally got confirmation yesterday. Promotion has gone through. No pay rise.

So today I'm fuming. 1:1 in the diary with the director later to basically rant. I used an inflation calculator and in real terms I get paid less now than I did when I started at the company 7 years ago. Despite THREE promotions.

Feel bad complaining, because people are far worse off than me. But I'm being taken advantage of. Given more work and responsibility because they know I won't kick up a fuss.

Genuinely considering giving my notice

I think to be honest the best and quickest way to get a pay increase is a new job somewhere else.

A company car is not the perk it used to be.

Sounds like your firm is "flogging a willing horse"

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Genie said:

If you get the car you’ll be taking home less money (maybe offset. you have a car lease or finance running). 

In the way of the world at the moment I’d rather have the money to spend than a newer car which I’m getting taxed on.

Yeah I need to clarify how this works. I don't think I'll end up with less money overall because I won't have to pay for my current car. But I don't think it'll work out as a huge difference

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Yeah I need to clarify how this works. I don't think I'll end up with less money overall because I won't have to pay for my current car. But I don't think it'll work out as a huge difference

I've just ordered a company car under my new job, and the tax you pay on an EV is so much less than an ICE car. I would have been taxed at the marginal rate for the full monthly benefit value for an ICE car, but it's a fraction of that for the EV. Obviously might not work if you don't have easy access to a charging point, but definitely worth looking into 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, GeorgeVilla82 said:

I've just ordered a company car under my new job, and the tax you pay on an EV is so much less than an ICE car. I would have been taxed at the marginal rate for the full monthly benefit value for an ICE car, but it's a fraction of that for the EV. Obviously might not work if you don't have easy access to a charging point, but definitely worth looking into 

I think we get two options at work. We can either take the car allowance and get whatever car we want, or we can get a "company car". If it's the latter then it has to be an electric car

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I think we get two options at work. We can either take the car allowance and get whatever car we want, or we can get a "company car". If it's the latter then it has to be an electric car

Will obviously depend what car you choose (if you get a choice when taking a company car), but the tax savings will be substantial over taking the car allowance as cash

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Back to work today and it’s dead, nothing to do as many are still off. I’m fine with it.

Upstairs my wife is back to work too, and it’s absolutely mental. Nobody was covering her holiday at the end of last year and she’s absolutely overwhelmed with urgent tasks.

I won’t be mentioning how quiet I am today. I might have to make some fake teams calls later…

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Seat68 said:

Applied for a job in December, for a company whose system I tested for close to ten years. Had 2 interviews, one before Christmas and one last week. **** nailed it. So I will potentially be handing in my notice today. 

What a glorious moment that is. 

The excitement of the new job, the pay rise (hopefully), the shit arriving during the notice period you know you don’t have to sort out. Amazing times.

27 minutes ago, Genie said:

What a glorious moment that is. 

The excitement of the new job, the pay rise (hopefully), the shit arriving during the notice period you know you don’t have to sort out. Amazing times.

All of that, and also the potential to have a month of bench time/gardening leave. Currently on a small team and from friday one of my colleagues was going on the bench, if I get my notice in, they will keep him working and I will paint the kitchen.

• Haha 1

On 13/12/2023 at 10:01, Stevo985 said:

In March I took on a fair bit more responsibility at work. Basically involved being in charge of the entire supply chain at one of our smaller sites. This is alongside my actual job, so I'm doing a LOT more.

At the time I didn't ask for a pay rise, but I was planning to, because obviously I deserved it.

Anyway, just as I'd arrnaged the 1:1 to ask for it after I'd done the job (successfully) for a couple of months, my director told me he was promoting me. As in, I was already doing the job, so I'd be getting the official promotion to the next grade up.

Great I thought. That's basically what i was going to be asking for. 

But when I asked if there was a pay rise he said no. I do get a company car which is great, don't get me wrong, and I'm grateful. But I still felt like it was taking the piss a bit. So I pleaded my case and he said money was tight with the company at the moment (and it is to be fair) but that he would make a case for me.

It's taken ages to go through so I assumed it was because of the payrise.

Finally got confirmation yesterday. Promotion has gone through. No pay rise.

So today I'm fuming. 1:1 in the diary with the director later to basically rant. I used an inflation calculator and in real terms I get paid less now than I did when I started at the company 7 years ago. Despite THREE promotions.

Feel bad complaining, because people are far worse off than me. But I'm being taken advantage of. Given more work and responsibility because they know I won't kick up a fuss.

Genuinely considering giving my notice

The conclusion to this was a bit of a halfway house. I spoke to my director. The day after he had a bit of a go at me for doing so which is still bothering me now. 

Anyway the conclusion was that they couldn't give me a pay rise because I was already paid over the average for my grade even though I'd just been promoted into it. But they're giving me more than the average rise in April (we all get one) and they've increased my bonus by 50%.

That was enough to appease me, although I found out later that due to the timing the bonus won't kick in until 2025. This year's bonus will be the same as it was before.

So I'll basically have been doing the job for 2 years before I see any extra money

34 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

The conclusion to this was a bit of a halfway house. I spoke to my director. The day after he had a bit of a go at me for doing so which is still bothering me now. 

Anyway the conclusion was that they couldn't give me a pay rise because I was already paid over the average for my grade even though I'd just been promoted into it. But they're giving me more than the average rise in April (we all get one) and they've increased my bonus by 50%.

That was enough to appease me, although I found out later that due to the timing the bonus won't kick in until 2025. This year's bonus will be the same as it was before.

So I'll basically have been doing the job for 2 years before I see any extra money

Cheeky buggers.

I bet if you said you’re leaving they’d find a way to get you the extra bonus this April.

36 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

As per my previous post, this isn’t advice, just thoughts. You know what you’re doing.

Your director said “he would make a case for me”

Then the next day he was cross and it’s bugging you - it shouldn’t  He maybe didn’t particularly relish having to go in to bat for you, but that’s not your fault for a moment  He might be a buddy, but it’s his job and responsibility to look after his staff. Let him suck it up.

You got a car and a different job title  You took on more responsibility, but are paid less than you were 7 years ago and are being taken advantage of. Given more work and responsibility and are Genuinely considering giving your notice.

So start looking around, CV out there  See what’s possible.  It might be you’re better where you are, but it might not be.  If you don’t, you’re stuck, you know it, they know it.

Depends what you want, deep down. They ask these dumb ass questions in interviews- “ where do you see yourself in 5 years” type of bobbins. If you like it where you are, are ok with the T&Cs, have mates… blah blah…that’s one thing. If the thought is “I can do better , I can be X, Y or Z” that’s another.

But ultimately it’s just a job, wherever you work. You do shopping (😜) for an aerospace company. It doesn’t matter. Be happy.

• 2 weeks later...
8 minutes ago, kurtsimonw said:

Offered a job to start next Wednesday in a small company as part of their finance team and bricking it. More or less been out of work for a year, and almost feel like a fraud even though I was very honest on my CV and interview - probably too honest.

I suffer with really bad anxiety and barely leave the house these days, the account manager at the recruitment agency I got the job through asked about me being ou of work for a year, and then she mentioned she could relate as she has agoraphobia; and then switched from talking to me about the job they initially wanted to talk to me about, to the one I'll be starting next week as their directors are big on mental health and work with mental health charities. Although it's low paid, I'm happy with minimum wage work and the fact it's not minimum wage is a bonus, it's far more than enough to cover my mortgage and other bills.

I think I'm just worried that being out of work for a year, not having had a finance role for 4 years, that I'll just struggle and my anxiety will get the best of me. Job seems a bit 'too good to be true' in pretty much every aspect that I'll end up **** it up.

Congrats and good luck.

It sounds like your employers are sound and understanding about MH so take that as some reassurance and try and enjoy it 👍

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, kurtsimonw said:

Offered a job to start next Wednesday in a small company as part of their finance team and bricking it. More or less been out of work for a year, and almost feel like a fraud even though I was very honest on my CV and interview - probably too honest.

I suffer with really bad anxiety and barely leave the house these days, the account manager at the recruitment agency I got the job through asked about me being ou of work for a year, and then she mentioned she could relate as she has agoraphobia; and then switched from talking to me about the job they initially wanted to talk to me about, to the one I'll be starting next week as their directors are big on mental health and work with mental health charities. Although it's low paid, I'm happy with minimum wage work and the fact it's not minimum wage is a bonus, it's far more than enough to cover my mortgage and other bills.

I think I'm just worried that being out of work for a year, not having had a finance role for 4 years, that I'll just struggle and my anxiety will get the best of me. Job seems a bit 'too good to be true' in pretty much every aspect that I'll end up **** it up.

These feelings you are having aren't unique to you mate. Most people starting a new job would be anxious, more so if they hadn't worked for a while. If you suffer with anxiety anyway it is probably going to be exacerbated but on the flip side to that it seems your new employer is really aware of and sympathetic to mental health issues.

Give it a week or two and I am sure you'll be thinking what was all my worry about. Congratulations on the new job. Go smash it.  

• Like 1

We got our targets for the year the other day. The one for the team I'm part of was described as 'challenging'. I saw them and quietly laughed to myself. They're impossible. We missed the January target by 60% odd. Everyone must know they're impossible.

The thing is though, it's basically poison to motivation. I know if I work like a maniac, and do everything perfectly with every single opportunity, and everything goes my way with every one (which isn't in my control obviously), I still won't hit that target. So why try? I can't hit that target for a variety of reasons that aren't in my control.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, kurtsimonw said:

Good to see you back mate.

You'll be fine always nerve wracking starting a new job; I don't have anxiety but get anxious over starting with a new company. First few weeks are always the tough ones then you'll ease into it. Congratulations, good luck and well done for going for it.

• Like 1

Â