The Careers/Jobs thread

Tayls

32 minutes ago, It's Your Round said:

I mentioned a while back that I’d received notice of redundancy. I left my job of 8 years that I was quite happy with on 31st October. They gave me a decent payout so I’ve taken my time to find a new role that gives me everything I want. 

Well, three interviews and a presentation later, I’ve been offered the role I want with an exciting company. A really nice team, mostly WFH but with some paid travel around the UK. And best of all it’s a 50% pay increase on my last job! 

I’m absolutely buzzing and so glad for the redundancy. It was tough to take at the time but having nothing to lose has given me a kick to push on and improve what I’ve got, I would never have gone for this job otherwise. 

I just need to decide how I want to spend my three weeks off before I start now :)

Awesome news mate. Sometimes things happen for a reason!

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Awesome news mate. Sometimes things happen for a reason!

That’s what everyone had been telling me, and I’ve believed it myself. It’s amazing what you can do with some belief and focus, sometimes you just need to take the leap. I’m sure you’ll find the same with your new venture, it will be hard at times but you will look back and be proud that you did it. 

14 hours ago, Xela said:

Fair play to you and good luck. 

I've got a lot of respect for people who take a chance and back themselves. I'm too cautious to do anything like that. 

Ive done it before. Its good if people have money you can make alot of money from it. Unfortunately as ive found now in comparison to years ago its definitely more challenging than it use to be due to a) more people not having enough money so more difficult to sell for the profit margin you want b) material costs have gone up significantly so building work costs more c) builders taking longer to finish work as they tend to juggle jobs d) bloody government tax

Even if you want to rent it out its a **** nightmare as courts tend to side with tenant if they give a sob story even if they blatently lying. Also to evict someone now is so long and difficult its a pain in the arse these  days. They can refuse to pay for momths after months until it finally goes court and your stuck paying the repayments 

Those are the downsides in my experience the pros though are when you fix up your first place and sell it for profit you really do feel great rewarding as its  a project you did. Then you can move on to your next project and grow

Best of luck to those that are planning to go this direction.

13 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Ive done it before. Its good if people have money you can make alot of money from it. Unfortunately as ive found now in comparison to years ago its definitely more challenging than it use to be due to a) more people not having enough money so more difficult to sell for the profit margin you want b) material costs have gone up significantly so building work costs more c) builders taking longer to finish work as they tend to juggle jobs d) bloody government tax

Even if you want to rent it out its a **** nightmare as courts tend to side with tenant if they give a sob story even if they blatently lying. Also to evict someone now is so long and difficult its a pain in the arse these  days. They can refuse to pay for momths after months until it finally goes court and your stuck paying the repayments 

Those are the downsides in my experience the pros though are when you fix up your first place and sell it for profit you really do feel great rewarding as its  a project you did. Then you can move on to your next project and grow

Best of luck to those that are planning to go this direction.

Dem am I right in recalling your wife had a nightmare with a tenant? Did it ever get fully resolved?

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

Dem am I right in recalling your wife had a nightmare with a tenant? Did it ever get fully resolved?

Oh mate it was a absolute **** nightmare. We couldnt literally do anything until it went to court. As there was a massive back log due to covid we couldnt do anything. We were close to losing a sale but what we did instead of pressuring them (as we knew we couldnt wait for court) we went and sat with them tried to work with them. Explained situation and said to them we don't want it going court because it will effect them when they look for another place. We said we would give them the best reference in the world if they found somewhere else asap.

We also sending them potential places to rent etc. They were being very very picky and annoying but we stayed patient. They literally found somewhere  right when the buyer of the house was going to pull out so we managed to get them out just in time.

They left the house in a absolute state to the extent where me and my mrs had to spend the weekend cleaning it because we couldnt leave the house like that for the buyer to come see as he wanted to come see it.

**** me mate one of the most stressful periods of my life.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2
  • Shocked 1

Also not trying to put anyone off just highlighting my experience hope works out for you. Things its sensible to be brutally honest and tell you pros and cons. Anyone that says it isnt a big risk is lying. But the rewards can be massive!

• 2 weeks later...

So I've been looking for something new for about a month or so. I like my company but the work is so dull. I'm essentially paid for being an SME, not for any hard work.

Had a couple of interviews, waiting on offers and today my boss calls me in; pay rise above inflation and doubles my bonus.

Really think I can't leave this place. Compared to my wife's company where it's a disaster, I feel very looked after.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, StefanAVFC said:

So I've been looking for something new for about a month or so. I like my company but the work is so dull. I'm essentially paid for being an SME, not for any hard work.

Had a couple of interviews, waiting on offers and today my boss calls me in; pay rise above inflation and doubles my bonus.

Really think I can't leave this place. Compared to my wife's company where it's a disaster, I feel very looked after.

You could ask for more and give it me if you feel bad about it!

• Haha 1

Last year I put together a case for Promotion, it failed, you know why, my boss didnt turn up to the meeting where the annual promotions are discussed, angry didn't come into it. I raised it in April and they admitted it was an oversight and as part of the mid year reviews I could look put it forward again. In the mean time I am carrying out a role that is above or at the promoted position. OK, so the mid years roll around and nothing, I hear nothing at all. Today I get an email congratulating me on my promotion, but here is the kicker, its a new email signature, no pay rise, no change to benefits etc. I think now is the time to maybe look elsewhere.

• Like 4

33 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

Last year I put together a case for Promotion, it failed, you know why, my boss didnt turn up to the meeting where the annual promotions are discussed, angry didn't come into it. I raised it in April and they admitted it was an oversight and as part of the mid year reviews I could look put it forward again. In the mean time I am carrying out a role that is above or at the promoted position. OK, so the mid years roll around and nothing, I hear nothing at all. Today I get an email congratulating me on my promotion, but here is the kicker, its a new email signature, no pay rise, no change to benefits etc. I think now is the time to maybe look elsewhere.

Book a holiday so you can attend an interview, might push em into re thinking their approach. 

On 08/12/2022 at 18:46, StefanAVFC said:

I'm essentially paid for being an SME

That's a good thing. It recognises expertise and experience and your value to the company you work for. It's where the money is. Of course the flip side is job satisfaction. I mean it's nice when someone comes to you and you can solve a problem or provide useful knowledge to help them solve a problem or whatever, but I guess that's not an all day every day thing and people need job satisfaction from most days, I guess - actually doing something yourself and feeling you've achieved something worthwhile.

Being paid for what you know, not what you do, is nice for a while, but ultimately a bit of both is more rewarding (IMO at least). The question I guess is can you move within your company to an area or role where your job isn't so dull? if not, you're either gonna have to settle for good wages for a dull job, or seeking a new employer and more rewarding (intellectually) job.

Good luck

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Seat68 said:

I get an email congratulating me on my promotion, but here is the kicker, its a new email signature, no pay rise, no change to benefits etc. I think now is the time to maybe look elsewhere.

Time for a chat with management and HR, first. Politely and clearly leaving them well aware of your assessment of your contribution and capabilities and view of how they've dealt with you and your aspirations in terms of salary and so on. No threats, no teddy throwing, just absolute clarity. Then it's their move (time limited).

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, UpTheVilla26 said:

I've just accepted to go back to my 'old' job. 

Basically, I spent 7 years there. I enjoyed my job, had a nice balance with home life but went through my gambling addiction last year. That affected everything. 

I left last November, somehow bagged a Sales job in same industry but with what the addiction had done to me, it was the wrong move. I quit in Feb. 

I started another job in June this year, well paid for what it was, but the area I was expected to cover is massive. Whole South West, then outskirts of London etc... I'd have to be away for 3 or 4 nights every other week, which I don't want to do. 

So, I reached out to my old boss, a vacancy came up, they did a bit of digging & soul searching and I got offered the position back yesterday. 

I have learnt I need a stress free life, which that job provided, the money isn't bad it still allows us to bank £500-£800 per month between the 2 wages coming into the house, and it's something I was really good at. 

Great news mate, onwards and upwards from here!

• Like 1

Cheers mate. 

I think I have proved to myself that I can snag a 'better job' with more money but with that comes the extra pressure. 

I'm quite simple really, we don't lead an extravagant lifestyle, as long as we can treat ourselves now and again we're happy. 

We spend a lot of time at work and that balance is crucial. I don't work weekends, I haven't for years, but the job I was doing, I noticed I was starting to load the laptop up on a Sunday and spend several hours planning, catching up on admin etc... The job I've gone back to, I get in on a Friday, lob the company vehicle keys on the side & switch off fully for 2 days. 

• Like 3

So, I mentioned in another thread I was asked to be acting headmaster for a day a couple of weeks ago. Well, I reprised the role for two days this week, and I’m almost ashamed to admit it’s given me a taste for leadership and elevated authority. I’m careful not to use the word power, but I’ve enjoyed being in a position where I can reach more students, more of the staff, and make their day a little bit better by just having a chat, helping out with whatever, listening to them, crack some jokes, take an interest in what they’re doing. I made an effort to be as visible and accessible as possible, obviously made easier by not having to do any of the tedious admin work a permanent headmaster has to do, and I just loved the appreciation I was met with from both staff and students when «the headmaster» was visiting their classroom, and felt I made the whole school just a little bit more cheerful for a day or two. I’d like to do more of that.

However, I would miss the classroom and my lessons too much, and I’d absolutely hate all of the admin work. It would be more work and less time off, but a bit more money and influence. I do in all honesty feel I’m too talented for my current wage bracket and status, and I am confident I’d be very well liked and respected should I choose to go down that path in the future. 

• Like 2

Â