The Careers/Jobs thread

Tayls

I'm not sure you have the slavish devotion to continuous professional development that'll enable you to grow alongside the Hyper Super Global Mega Corp family, Rodders.

Fortunately these days I work in a company that basically asks a couple of people for feedback about you, and that's it.

It's seemed to be a trend in my career that the more senior the role, the less bullshit I have to jump through on that kind of thing. I remember some entry level IT helpdesk job made us put together these genuine **** folders of forms and gather evidence of what we've done over the year. I answer the phone, mate, and if we don't answer them on time, we get a bollocking, so when exactly are we jumping through these bullshit hoops to show we go "above and beyond" to help justify a 1% payrise? 

At least "stack ranking" seems to be dead.

1 minute ago, cyrusr said:

I am a fish. I am a fish. I am a fish. I am a fish. I am a fish. I am a fish. I am a fish. I am a fish. I am a fish. I am a fish. I am a fish. I am a fish. I am a fish. I am a fish. I am a fish. I am a fish. I am a fish. I am a fish. I am a fish. I am a fish. I am a fish. I am a fish. I am a fish. I am a fish. I am a fish. I am a fish. I am a fish. I am a fish. I am a fish. I am a fish. I am a fish. I am a fish. I am a fish. I am a fish. I am a fish. I am a fish. I am a fish. I am a fish. I am a fish. I am a fish. I am a fish. I am a fish. I am a fish. I am a fish. I am a fish. I am a fish. I am a fish. I am a fish. I am a fish. I am a fish. I am a fish. I am a fish. I am a fish. I am a fish. I am a fish. I am a fish. I am a fish. I am a fish. I am a fish. I am a fish. I am a fish. I am a fish. I am a fish. I am a fish. I am a fish. I am a fish. I am a fish. I am a fish. I am a fish. I am a fish. I am a fish. I am a fish. I am a fish. I am a fish. I am a fish. I am a fish. I am a fish. I am a fish. I am a fish. I am a fish. I am a fish. I am a fish. I am a fish. I am a fish. I am a fish. I am a fish. I am a fish. I am a fish. I am a fish. I am a fish. I am a fish. I am a fish. I am a fish. I am a fish. I am a fish. I am a fish. I am a fish. I am a fish. I am a fish. I am a fish. I am a fish. I am a fish. I am a fish. I am a fish. I am a fish. I am a fish. I am a fish. I am a fish. I am a fish. I am a fish. I am a fish. I am a fish. I am a fish. I am a fish. I am a fish. I am a fish. I am a fish. I am a fish. I am a fish. I am a fish. I am a fish.

Your welcome :) 

See the source image

• Haha 1

I’ve become the de facto heir apparent for union rep at my job. Our current rep is stepping down at the end of the school year, and the gig is mine if I want it. I’ve kind of been serving as an unofficial deputy for a year and a half anyway, and people keep encouraging me to throw my hat in the ring (it would probably be the only hat in said ring, to be fair.) No perks beside the odd seminar, but I kind of fancy it. It would be a no-brainer if I wasn’t going to be a single dad every other week. Just a little cautious about taking on extra duties in a period of massive changes in my private life. 

Edited by El Zen
  • Like 1

Congrats @Tegis.  I've got an interview on Friday so I'm hoping I won't have to work nightshifts for much longer.  It's completely different jumping from baking to making electromagnets for CT scanners and the Hadron collider but everyone needs a challenge.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

So... Stay at a large company with good benefits that isn't a very fun position and shows little sign of career progression, or jump to a smaller startup that is going places (for similar salary) and grow with that? There is a risk and I have no way to accurately assess the future in either role.

1 minute ago, Lichfield Dean said:

So... Stay at a large company with good benefits that isn't a very fun position and shows little sign of career progression, or jump to a smaller startup that is going places (for similar salary) and grow with that? There is a risk and I have no way to accurately assess the future in either role.

It also depends on your personality circumstances.

For me with a family to support and big-ish mortgage I take job security over job satisfaction at this stage.

Start-ups tend to be longer hours, more chaotic work environments and less structure. If you fancy something to stretch you (kw) go for it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lichfield Dean said:

Going to the start up is obviously a risk, but is it one you would forever regret if you didn't take it or could you happily ignore it? 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Rds1983 said:

Going to the start up is obviously a risk, but is it one you would forever regret if you didn't take it or could you happily ignore it? 

Yeah, this is a thing. FOMO.

Worth taking into account the economic environment we are in and the outlook for the year. We've had March and April with decreasing GDP of 0.1% and 0.3% respectively. May and June will likely have decreases too. So before the end of the year we will be in a recession. With inflation rampant and climbing to 11% there is the very real possibility that the Bank of England is force to continue raising interest rates thus keeping us in or deepening the recession to finally bring inflation down. We haven't seen a recession that lasts for 12 months or longer since the great recession of 2008/2009. 

Real wages will fall significantly as they can't keep in line with inflation especially in a recession. There are large parts of the world economy that have never been tested by high interest rates and a recession. Take all these new tech rapid growth companies / business models. Add to that we will see a lot of industrial action further damaging the economy. So I think people should take heed of the times ahead with their career choices and general spending. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

Worth taking into account the economic environment we are in and the outlook for the year. We've had March and April with decreasing GDP of 0.1% and 0.3% respectively. May and June will likely have decreases too. So before the end of the year we will be in a recession. With inflation rampant and climbing to 11% there is the very real possibility that the Bank of England is force to continue raising interest rates thus keeping us in or deepening the recession to finally bring inflation down. We haven't seen a recession that lasts for 12 months or longer since the great recession of 2008/2009. 

Real wages will fall significantly as they can't keep in line with inflation especially in a recession. There are large parts of the world economy that have never been tested by high interest rates and a recession. Take all these new tech rapid growth companies / business models. Add to that we will see a lot of industrial action further damaging the economy. So I think people should take heed of the times ahead with their career choices and general spending. 

Yes, the economic environment is one that is keenly on my mind. Fortunately the smaller company is not reliant on any kind of outside investment, it has shown growth every year since inception (even through covid) and has money in the bank. I think it's a fairly well placed business in that respect, but you're right - these things are never certain.

1 minute ago, Lichfield Dean said:

Yes, the economic environment is one that is keenly on my mind. Fortunately the smaller company is not reliant on any kind of outside investment, it has shown growth every year since inception (even through covid) and has money in the bank. I think it's a fairly well placed business in that respect, but you're right - these things are never certain.

Companies who have low debt and have already completed their capital investment will be the ones who fare best in the next 18 months. 

1 hour ago, Lichfield Dean said:

Yeah, this is a thing. FOMO.

How secure are you if took this job and the worst did happen (don't have to answer here)? How much savings do you have? How long could you afford to be out of work? How long could you survive on your partners salary? How likely are you to be able to get another similarly paid job? 

Obviously the changing economy impacts these but knowing a rough answer to these shows how flexible you can be. 

4 hours ago, Lichfield Dean said:

Are there any other options outside of your current role at the large company that your skills could translate into? 

41 minutes ago, Xela said:

Are there any other options outside of your current role at the large company that your skills could translate into? 

Possibly, but I'd most likely not be able to escape the current product I work on or would end up in a similar position but on a different product. I have raised the question on more than one occasion.

5 hours ago, Lichfield Dean said:

My pennies worth, I left IBM (remember them?) just as the credit crunch hit and a new baby on the way to move to a small consultancy, the small consultancy lasted 12 months, this then forced me onto working for myself. I ended up doing pretty well.  Long and short I don't think there is ever a right or wrong time to change your job, that said if you don't enjoy the job, leave.

27 minutes ago, bielesibub said:

My pennies worth, I left IBM (remember them?) just as the credit crunch hit and a new baby on the way to move to a small consultancy, the small consultancy lasted 12 months, this then forced me onto working for myself. I ended up doing pretty well.  Long and short I don't think there is ever a right or wrong time to change your job, that said if you don't enjoy the job, leave.

Oh yes, I once went to IBM near Winchester. What an unbelievable place that was - had its own pub and everything if I recall!

I don't believe there's much chance of this small company going bust in the next year given what I've seen, they are only expecting to grow given how much business they have lined up. But you never can tell....

48 minutes ago, Lichfield Dean said:

Oh yes, I once went to IBM near Winchester. What an unbelievable place that was - had its own pub and everything if I recall!

I don't believe there's much chance of this small company going bust in the next year given what I've seen, they are only expecting to grow given how much business they have lined up. But you never can tell....

Hursley was lovely, it had a cricket strip, clubhouse and a koi carp pond. I was based non a project there for about 18 months, other than there I was at North Harbour - Pompey, Guildford, Farnborough, then Europe.

6 minutes ago, bielesibub said:

Hursley was lovely, it had a cricket strip, clubhouse and a koi carp pond. I was based non a project there for about 18 months, other than there I was at North Harbour - Pompey, Guildford, Farnborough, then Europe.

Hursley, that's the place. Amazing.

Edited by Lichfield Dean

Â