The Careers/Jobs thread

Tayls

10 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

I've got a possible job lined up which I think would also interest one or two of my current colleagues.  There is a £1000 bonus for successfully referring somebody else and I was wondering what people would normally do, pocket the £1000 for yourself or split it 50/50 with the other guy?

My mate has been trying to recruit me to a large online betting company in Stoke. They offer a recruitment bonus to both the referee and the applicant. 

As for you, keep it for yourself. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, sharkyvilla said:

I've got a possible job lined up which I think would also interest one or two of my current colleagues.  There is a £1000 bonus for successfully referring somebody else and I was wondering what people would normally do, pocket the £1000 for yourself or split it 50/50 with the other guy?

I've generally seen it split 50/50. Doesn't seem to cause resentment that way. 

Any other lawyers on here? I just can’t imagine ever wanting to work in the office again. I love my current company but have to leave due to a country move, and I just can’t see myself ever taking a non-remote job again. You simply don’t need to be in an office in my line of work. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Spoony said:

Any other lawyers on here? I just can’t imagine ever wanting to work in the office again. I love my current company but have to leave due to a country move, and I just can’t see myself ever taking a non-remote job again. You simply don’t need to be in an office in my line of work. 

Right here. 

With office working, I think it depends on your area of law. I'm in family but at my firm we have a flexible arrangement with working from home/office. As a team (7/8 of us) we go in about once a week but more as to actually see people in person/have a change in scenary. If I need to ask something to be done, to just walk over takes 2 seconds rather than an message/email/phone call/whatever. However I definitely do more actual work at home and whilst  it is nice to actually see actual people; I just don't need to do it everyday. 

I think  for me the only other actual genuine reason will be to meet with clients in person (if they don't have capacity for video etc. and to be honest some of the conversations need to be in person).  You go to Court, although that wouldn't be much different if you are working from home or an office. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Spoony said:

Yep, me. I work in-house for a British retailer, and during the various lockdowns, they got rid of my office to make more space for hot desks and breakout areas (totally understandably). I'm so much more productive when I'm at home, and although it's good to be there in person for important meetings, I don't go in more than once a week now. We actually moved out of London during the third lockdown, as both my husband and I can WFH a lot more.

• Like 3

On 07/04/2022 at 18:52, Beastmix said:

I'm quite new to university lecturing and I find myself marking an essay about a book by a student who keeps getting the title of the book wrong... 

As a foundation teacher, I can't say this surprises me. Look on the bright side, at least they got the author's name right and didn't call it 'Text A'!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, cyrusr said:

Right here. 

With office working, I think it depends on your area of law. I'm in family but at my firm we have a flexible arrangement with working from home/office. As a team (7/8 of us) we go in about once a week but more as to actually see people in person/have a change in scenary. If I need to ask something to be done, to just walk over takes 2 seconds rather than an message/email/phone call/whatever. However I definitely do more actual work at home and whilst  it is nice to actually see actual people; I just don't need to do it everyday. 

I think  for me the only other actual genuine reason will be to meet with clients in person (if they don't have capacity for video etc. and to be honest some of the conversations need to be in person).  You go to Court, although that wouldn't be much different if you are working from home or an office. 

3 hours ago, GeorgeVilla82 said:

Yep, me. I work in-house for a British retailer, and during the various lockdowns, they got rid of my office to make more space for hot desks and breakout areas (totally understandably). I'm so much more productive when I'm at home, and although it's good to be there in person for important meetings, I don't go in more than once a week now. We actually moved out of London during the third lockdown, as both my husband and I can WFH a lot more.

Yay, lawyer friends! I work in finance (mainly asset finance) so I spend no time in court and I haven’t seen a client in person for almost 3 years (outside of conferences and networking and all that good stuff). My firm adopted a policy of “come in if you want”. If I fancy it I might bimble in for a couple of hours twice a week but that’s it. Going forwards I always want that flexibility. It has become a bit of a deal breaker for me. 

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Spoony said:

Yay, lawyer friends! I work in finance (mainly asset finance) so I spend no time in court and I haven’t seen a client in person for almost 3 years (outside of conferences and networking and all that good stuff). My firm adopted a policy of “come in if you want”. If I fancy it I might bimble in for a couple of hours twice a week but that’s it. Going forwards I always want that flexibility. It has become a bit of a deal breaker for me. 

I think most law firms are not listening the likes of JRM (us bloody lefty lawyers) and are much more flexible; especially in finance/corporate areas. Family is definitely an outlier in that sense and even then it does not make sense to be in the office 5 days a week. I don't think you will have much difficulty finding another firm with a similar policy. :) 

2 hours ago, Spoony said:

Yay, lawyer friends! I work in finance (mainly asset finance) 

Interesting. What sort of legal work in asset finance in you don't mind me asking? Offering advice to the business? Reviewing guarantees / debentures / chattels / assignment deeds / etc?

1 hour ago, Xela said:

Interesting. What sort of legal work in asset finance in you don't mind me asking? Offering advice to the business? Reviewing guarantees / debentures / chattels / assignment deeds / etc?

Largely drafting/negotiating loan agreements (or other debt agreements), security documents, vessel/aircraft registration and that sort of thing. Isn’t exactly exciting stuff!

• Like 1

Got an offer from a company that is overhauling their IT. They've grown out of their old way of doing it and I and a few others basically get a clean slate to set it up as we see fit. Really tempting. The only downside is a longer commute but I guess WFH will solve that to a degree.

Im getting tired of just doing consultant customer-work instead of in house.

Edited by Tegis
  • Like 2

I start my new job (same place) tomorrow.

Its been a bit of an anti-climax as I have been hoping to transition into the new role since January but it’s finally here.

It’s leading the engineering on parts I’m familiar with but working in Agile on some really exciting final products. 

• Like 2

I'm thinking it might be finally time for me to move on. Its tough because I like what I do, the money is good and I can do it with my eyes closed. Its just there is no further development in the role. There is no higher grade in the area i'm in unless I want to get into people management, and i don't. 

I'll stay at the same company, no question of that, but need to start looking on the intranet for the available roles in different departments. 

• Like 3

I think we’re in similar places @Xela with our careers. It makes sense to find something new where you are rather than a major roll of the dice externally. 

The other thing with my job is that this year we’re getting a pay rise based on RPI +0.5%, I guess that’s 7-10% with the way things are at the moment.

Edited by Genie
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Xela said:

I'm thinking it might be finally time for me to move on. Its tough because I like what I do, the money is good and I can do it with my eyes closed. Its just there is no further development in the role. There is no higher grade in the area i'm in unless I want to get into people management, and i don't. 

I'll stay at the same company, no question of that, but need to start looking on the intranet for the available roles in different departments. 

Like what you do and the money is good is more than most people get! I’d think long and hard about leaving that behind…

• Like 1

Nothing like the Annual PDR to make you realise it's time to move on. 

"Main areas of activity – Your personal reflection on your contribution during the review period (500 words maximum)"

I have done my job and anything that has been asked of me, as normal.  

Not sure what to write for the next 485 words. Such phenomenal bullshit this. 

3 minutes ago, Rodders said:

Nothing like the Annual PDR to make you realise it's time to move on. 

"Main areas of activity – Your personal reflection on your contribution during the review period (500 words maximum)"

I have done my job and anything that has been asked of me, as normal.  

Not sure what to write for the next 485 words. Such phenomenal bullshit this. 

I am a fish. I am a fish. I am a fish. I am a fish. I am a fish. I am a fish. I am a fish. I am a fish. I am a fish. I am a fish. I am a fish. I am a fish. I am a fish. I am a fish. I am a fish. I am a fish. I am a fish. I am a fish. I am a fish. I am a fish. I am a fish. I am a fish. I am a fish. I am a fish. I am a fish. I am a fish. I am a fish. I am a fish. I am a fish. I am a fish. I am a fish. I am a fish. I am a fish. I am a fish. I am a fish. I am a fish. I am a fish. I am a fish. I am a fish. I am a fish. I am a fish. I am a fish. I am a fish. I am a fish. I am a fish. I am a fish. I am a fish. I am a fish. I am a fish. I am a fish. I am a fish. I am a fish. I am a fish. I am a fish. I am a fish. I am a fish. I am a fish. I am a fish. I am a fish. I am a fish. I am a fish. I am a fish. I am a fish. I am a fish. I am a fish. I am a fish. I am a fish. I am a fish. I am a fish. I am a fish. I am a fish. I am a fish. I am a fish. I am a fish. I am a fish. I am a fish. I am a fish. I am a fish. I am a fish. I am a fish. I am a fish. I am a fish. I am a fish. I am a fish. I am a fish. I am a fish. I am a fish. I am a fish. I am a fish. I am a fish. I am a fish. I am a fish. I am a fish. I am a fish. I am a fish. I am a fish. I am a fish. I am a fish. I am a fish. I am a fish. I am a fish. I am a fish. I am a fish. I am a fish. I am a fish. I am a fish. I am a fish. I am a fish. I am a fish. I am a fish. I am a fish. I am a fish. I am a fish. I am a fish. I am a fish. I am a fish. I am a fish. I am a fish. I am a fish. I am a fish. I am a fish.

Your welcome :) 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Â