New Club Crest Ideas

musicw8832

New Club Crest?  

130 members have voted

1. 1. Would you want a redesigned club crest?

• Yes, the current one is rubbish
    • No, happy with current crest
    • Don't care either way

This poll is closed to new votes

12 hours ago, burchy said:

A couple more cut and paste jobs, channelling the non circular/simple design. 

BD04AD53-9743-4877-922B-8A56C2C1B364.jpeg.d0353be412ec9b150ceeedb73e99f630.jpeg0470690F-2571-4B1E-891A-EA453E1B2F57.jpeg.087c7f57b52038565e94e9bbdc03b844.jpeg

I appreciate the effort you're going into to produce these, but **** me they're bad :D 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, burchy said:

Wow, tell me what you really think

Sorry mate. They’re not bad as in design bad. They’re great designs and I appreciate the work that has gone into them. But as a crest for Aston Villa they don’t work

• Like 1

20 hours ago, a m ole said:

Yeah it’s just the only problem now I’ve thought about it is the current lion has been the same, aside from a few small adjustments, for like 30 years. It feels like to me a new badge should be setting a clear identity for Villa and not a kinda evolution on the last however long.  If we just took the current lion it would feel like a nice evolution from the previous two badges rather than a statement. I think whatever they do for the lion it has to be new.

Im now so vehemently anti-‘circle with name around it’ badge now after seeing all those identikit ones with 18/19 whatever either side. It’s SO bland. Do we want to join the club with Bristol, Stevenage, Maidenhead, Brentford, Harrogate, Stockport and the City group just because we had it before? It will get old very quickly and we’ll be rebranding in another ten years.

This should be a classic.

You missed out Solihull moors

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

Sorry mate. They’re not bad as in design bad. They’re great designs and I appreciate the work that has gone into them. But as a crest for Aston Villa they don’t work

Way to go. Now he’s crying in a corner somewhere, lol.

• Haha 1

In the background of the Bogarde contract signing picture, they have the lion on its own. Looks really nice.

Wouldn't mind having that with 'Aston Villa' curved around the top and/or bottom.

• Like 1

On 30/06/2022 at 17:50, burchy said:

A couple more cut and paste jobs, channelling the non circular/simple design. 

BD04AD53-9743-4877-922B-8A56C2C1B364.jpeg.d0353be412ec9b150ceeedb73e99f630.jpeg0470690F-2571-4B1E-891A-EA453E1B2F57.jpeg.087c7f57b52038565e94e9bbdc03b844.jpeg

I like the AV diadem design on the lion's crown. Is that your touch? I also like the "lion-filled" shield idea. I think one pattern I'm seeing is the Aston Villa text feels out of proportion in many of the designs. But they're very bold!

Edited by Marka Ragnos
  • Like 1

I can't help thinking that if we go with a round badge, it has to be the old round badge (which I would favour).  It's not that I want a round badge for its own sake, I just want THAT round badge, the one I grew up with.  It can't be improved upon (in my opinion).  Any other round version would always jar for me.

3 hours ago, Stephen_Evans said:

I can't help thinking that if we go with a round badge, it has to be the old round badge (which I would favour).  It's not that I want a round badge for its own sake, I just want THAT round badge, the one I grew up with.  It can't be improved upon (in my opinion).  Any other round version would always jar for me.

This kind of sums up the issue really, in a couple of ways.

First, the clamour for the old badge is nostalgia, so in another 10-15 years time will there be desire for a stripy shield like we had when we won the Coca-Cola Cups and the one lots of people grew up with.

Secondly, unless you replicate the old badge basically, it's going to look like a poor replica in most people's eyes and no-one is happy.

Smarten up the current badge, add Aston Villa or redesign completely if you must - but some walking on egg shells redesign of the old badge seems pointless.

Edited by jackbauer24

I’ve never known a team change it’s badge so much. We’ve had 4 distinct badges in 40 years with a few different variants of these in between, 9 or 10 different badges in total in my 37 years with all the little variations. It’s madness. 

Edited by Ingram85

9 minutes ago, Ingram85 said:

I’ve never known a team change it’s badge so much. We’ve had 4 distinct badges in 40 years with a few different variants of these in between, 9 or 10 different badges in total in my 37 years with all the little variations. It’s madness. 

I'm counting 7 with variations:

1. The classic 1957 badge

2. Third Division badge, for want of a better description.

3. Round

4. Stripey shield with scroll

5. Stripey Shield without scroll

6.  Lerner's GCSE homework

7. Mildly improved version of above / current version.

What are the others I am missing?

I'm not expecting round badges. I'm expecting simple and clean for the insta/tiktok era. I wonder if we can find examples of other clubs that have done similar in recent years, in my experience these design companies rarely reinvent the wheel.