New Club Crest Ideas

musicw8832

New Club Crest?  

130 members have voted

1. 1. Would you want a redesigned club crest?

• Yes, the current one is rubbish
    • No, happy with current crest
    • Don't care either way

This poll is closed to new votes

4 hours ago, Teale's 'tache said:

Found a bit of time to progress this idea a little more...

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Think I could maybe try making it a little wider, and therefore a little shorter in terms of height, though that may make the 'A' and 'V' look less like letters...

Instantly recognisable and modern yet sympathetic. I hope it’s something like this !

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Teale's 'tache said:

Found a bit of time to progress this idea a little more...

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Think I could maybe try making it a little wider, and therefore a little shorter in terms of height, though that may make the 'A' and 'V' look less like letters...

I think it's great work, good idea and well executed.

Am I the only one that isn't 100% on board with such a drastic change? 

As much as I like your design, something doesn't sit well with me on this one. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, jackbauer24 said:

I will repeat.

The Aston Villa 'crest' has only been round for about 17 years in our 148 year history. Therefore, a round badge is not traditional. It is nostalgic about TWO seasons. It would look like most other football team 'logos' these days however impressive we make it.

So disappointed it's nearly a given we're going back to a circle badge, Aston Villa should be shield.

Couldn’t agree more…. Sadly I think it will. 

12 minutes ago, Mic09 said:

I think it's great work, good idea and well executed.

Am I the only one that isn't 100% on board with such a drastic change? 

As much as I like your design, something doesn't sit well with me on this one. 

You're definitely not the only one!

Design always divides opinion, and change will always meet resistance. Making the perfect logo/badge that is loved by everyone is pretty much an impossibility. This is just an idea I had, designing logos is only a small part of my job, and I'm just one person. I'd imagine we've employed a design firm with many very good designers/marketers involved, all hopefully doing their research.

I don't know if the club will go for something this drastic, or play it safe, but I'll be very interested to see what they eventually come up with.

Edited by Teale's 'tache
typo in my typo
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, May-Z said:

Just typed in 'AV logo' on Google. Brings up some interesting ideas.

This was a kind of cool Juve-style of what we could do. 

I don't think we will, nor do I particularly want us to, but I like how it creates a shield shape. 

I can't see us doing anything without 'Aston Villa' being written in full tbh.

—Pngtree—initial letter av logo design_3579623.jpg

it wouldnt be popular with the masses but i would love that

21 minutes ago, abdomlahor said:

it wouldnt be popular with the masses but i would love that

Yeah thats pretty cool, simple and bold to be fair.

Almost a shield, without being a shield too.

I'm sure there would be many ways to manipulate that with some of our elements.

VT designers?

I think it's beautiful really and in my head I was set on the round badge coming back. Looking at @Teale's 'tachedesign I'm actually all for it.

Ballsy and different. Sadly the club will have to play it safe and go for the round badge nostalgia again. Too many moaners otherwise.

• Like 3

I'll be honest as a graphic designer with over 30 years experience and who does alot of branding I've not seen one fan design I would sign off yet. I did think of taking a look myself but I genuinely think it's hard when you have such a connection. As a fan my idea is probably not what I'd come up with as a designer. Which is why agencies are paid for such things. Always design such a badge/logo pure mono and it will work with colour. Never start with all the whistle and flutes colours as when you look at various mediums it won't work.

I get the Luke kits were just beautiful, but I think the actual identity of a club, the badge/logo is far harder to get right as it simply won't change after one go/season.

Edited by stewiek2
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, stewiek2 said:

I'll be honest as a graphic designer with over 30 years experience and who does alot of branding I've not seen one fan design I would sign off yet. I did think of taking a look myself but I genuinely think it's hard when you have such a connection. As a fan my idea is probably not what I'd come up with as a designer. Which is why agencies are paid for such things. Always design such a badge/logo pure mono and it will work with colour. Never start with all the whistle and flutes colours as when you look at various mediums it won't work.

I get the Luke kits were just beautiful, but I think the actual identity of a club, the badge/logo is far harder to get right as it simply won't change after one go/season.

Would be interested in seeing you do a couple of mockups mate!

With your OWN view.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN

17 minutes ago, stewiek2 said:

Would you have signed off the current badge?

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, stewiek2 said:

Absolutely - I’m not a graphic designer but somewhat adjacent - the art direction is lacking on all our fan designs. No clear direction one way, it’s a jumble of ideas. No research into how it works on the kits, on the websites, at the ground etc etc. Same goes for mine, it’s just messing around and stumbling on something that looks ok. I can see what a top artist might come up with in my head though.

Things I would 100% do though is a deeper, and slightly more red claret, a more complimentary blue and make previous yellow accents gold. I would go no circle if at all possible and have a brand new lovely vector drawn heraldic lion as the main feature of our brand. Could be based on the 70s one or the super stylised one from the past but it should be a bit wild. I’m concerned it will be something very safe feeling.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, a m ole said:

Things I would 100% do though is a deeper, and slightly more red claret, a more complimentary blue and make previous yellow accents gold. 

Whatever happens, if we don't do this I'll cry. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, stewiek2 said:

Bit harsh, there’s two or three that are head and shoulders over our current badge even without a professional tidy up. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Would you have signed off the current badge?

I wouldn't and reason being that for what they must have paid the agency who did it what was chosen was, in all sense and purpose, just a tweak of the Lerner badge.

• Thanks 2

Had a play around with some US style graphics in Canva, I couldn’t recolour it but I think we’ll end up with some thing along these lines (Milwaukee bucks style)D5A5C80A-A858-46D7-9565-8A5A4CA60879.jpeg.61ed3c9486cc68efe2bd4cff541e039c.jpeg

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, burchy said:

Had a play around with some US style graphics in Canva, I couldn’t recolour it but I think we’ll end up with some thing along these lines (Milwaukee bucks style)D5A5C80A-A858-46D7-9565-8A5A4CA60879.jpeg.61ed3c9486cc68efe2bd4cff541e039c.jpeg

There's no way they're going that abstract or out there.  The brief says they want to honour our rich history and showcase our unique name. Not sure this does either, despite looking pretty cool.