Crystal Palace

2 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

I'm not sure why the total proportion of the UK population would be the comparator? 43% of PL players are black, around 33% of EFL players, wouldn't they be more obvious comparators?

Out of interest do you know the stats for how many black players there were 10 or 20 year's ago? It obviously takes a while for players to retire and then become coaches. I'm assuming it would be similar number's to today give or take say 5 or 10%? 

This probably isn't the right thread to debate it though. 

So getting back on topic. Appointing Hodgson seems a ridiculous choice.

Edited by Rds1983

Roy was a great manager but he is now 75 years old. Crazy decision by the Palace board. Crazy decision by Roy. It will end in tears and ruin his legacy most probably. 

I hope it doesnt for his sake but its going to be an absolute scrap down there. 

1 hour ago, Rds1983 said:

Out of interest do you know the stats for how many black players there were 10 or 20 year's ago? It obviously takes a while for players to retire and then become coaches. I'm assuming it would be similar number's to today give or take say 5 or 10%? 

This probably isn't the right thread to debate it though. 

So getting back on topic. Appointing Hodgson seems a ridiculous choice.

I guess you’ve also got to consider the level of education of the players, as if many of the players are from less developed countries where they haven’t had the same educational opportunities as a player from a major European country then that’s probably going to hold them back in management. The manager’s job is so broad these days.

I personally think Hodgson is a decent appointment for a caretaker manager. I’ve certainly seen an awful lot worse.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

His post-match interview was funny. Said something like 'I'm looking forward to when we get to, say, 40 points, and then I can sit back and enjoy watching our football' which sounded to me like 'if you need me, you'll be able to find me at the beach'. I'm still torn about how to think about this interlude: I mean he got gifted the easiest run-in imaginable with a near-guarantee of some regression to the mean, but on the other hand they've still managed to *win* 3 matches. And while I don't know the ins and outs of this, the analysis on MOTD last night seemed to suggest that Vieira had been leaving Eze out, so if that's true at least Woy gets credit for doing the obvious and getting him back in the team. 

6 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

His post-match interview was funny. Said something like 'I'm looking forward to when we get to, say, 40 points, and then I can sit back and enjoy watching our football' which sounded to me like 'if you need me, you'll be able to find me at the beach'. I'm still torn about how to think about this interlude: I mean he got gifted the easiest run-in imaginable with a near-guarantee of some regression to the mean, but on the other hand they've still managed to *win* 3 matches. And while I don't know the ins and outs of this, the analysis on MOTD last night seemed to suggest that Vieira had been leaving Eze out, so if that's true at least Woy gets credit for doing the obvious and getting him back in the team. 

Our game was the only game he started in last 10 or so before Vieira got rightfully binned yet Palace couldnt create a chance for weeks

On 21/03/2023 at 11:12, The_Steve said:

The only Black premier league manager sacked and his old club hire an old dinosaur. That will do wonders to encourage other Black coaches and managers the league is for them. 

Thank goodness they didn't make their decision based on race and hired an old white dinosaur! 

What a great job he is doing. 

Or should they have gotten themselves relegated to "encourage black coaches"?

It was a really bizarre point you made to start with and now it's also shown to be wrong. Good on Palace for their decision making in this instance. 

It has kept them up.

Edited by GlobalVillan
  • Thanks 1

palace is a weird one tbh.

If you can keep a tight defence and midfield, with Olise, Eze and Zaha, those 3 are capable of causing trouble for a lot of teams, they seem to be just missing a proper striker, and that would be a heck of a front 4, seems they have issues in midfield and defence tho for sure.

I think they are defo safe, i think they have the easiest run in of all teams in the PL, and they are what, 6 points clear already now?

Â