$200 Million Takeover

supernova26

Could just be that people sometimes get to know stuff that journalists don't get know and won't know until they're told in the same way that Hairy Hands and Mystery Man appeared to know stuff without the media knowing.

• Like 1

It could be possible that the club has made a deal with media outlets that they won't publish anything before the certain date/time for exclusive stories/interviews/etc.

Yep I imagine it is the case.

If AEG, their interest is only going to be on the basis of having Villa as the anchor tenant for a stadium competitive with Wembley. Whether that means the NEC or knocking most of Aston down to build a new stadium and parking lots near VP....

I wouldn't have a problem if it meant knocking most of Aston down as it is a dump anyway.

• Like 3

Philip Anschutz - I guess this would make the most sense, everything seemingly falling into place.

- Playing his MLS team in pre season

- AEG being linked with buying the NEC

Very nice if it comes off.

I floated the idea on here yesterday, and quite a few were against the NEC idea. Now it is all probably Pie in the Sky, but I think it would be an interesting proposition if it were to happen.

If we are thinking big plans for Villa, I think it is a great idea.

Positives as I see them = Train Station/Airport/ and lots of Parking would make an ideal venue for Champions League matches. Fill the stadium with some quality players and there is a big catchment area of potential supporters. It is only about 15 mins from Bodymoor Heath. Modern Stadium with better toilets, concourses, and food/drink outlets. Stadium sponsorship would be easier to take, and would generate extra funds for team building.

The Negatives as I see them = Loss of Villa Park, and the memories and History. Local fans would have to travel further at extra cost. Many might see it as another soul-less modern stadium.

There are probably many more positives and negatives that I haven't thought of, and I am sure a lot on here would point them out.

The question is can we afford to say no to such a thing? Us Fans are always saying that you cannot stand still in this game, otherwise you lose ground on your opponents. With Spurs, West Ham and possibly Liverpool moving soon, and Arsenal, Man City already in new stadia. That is also ignoring Man Utd already in a 70k stadium. We risk being left well behind. I guess we need to ask ourselves as supporters, do we want to embrace moving forward or stick to tradition and the past. It is tough, as none of us want to leave behind the memories as it was what made us. But the happy memories from the past will remain, and the opportunity for happy memories in the future will improve.

The points I mentioned wasn't to do with moving to the NEC, just that AEG are interested in buying it. I think adding villa to this would be an extra bonus.

There's zero reason to leave villa park. The other stadiums you mentione all need a fair bit of work doing to them, hence why a new place makes sense. Villa Park is great now and has the option to expand it.

I agree that currently there is no reason to leave VP, whilst we have the squad and crowds we currently get. However If the new owners are looking to make us into a major global power, then this is something they may be looking to do in future whether it be the NEC site or another site. However, i do think it is highly unlikely to happen as I can't see anyone willing to shell out on such a project, as well as financing a new playing squad. I guess by staying at VP we won't get the crowds and matchday income of the London and Manchester clubs, and we will probably have to think outside the box if we want to compete with them under these FFP rules.

First things first though, we will have to wait and see if a takeover happens and if so, who is involved and what financial clout and business acumen they bring with them. Fingers crossed it is someone with a lot of both, and the patience and ability to see it through.

1. Nobody in their right mind would build a new concert Arena in Aston/Witton when we've already got the already revamped LG Arena and NIA close at hand doing very well for themselves.

2. Any talk of moving to a new ground is clearly mental as (a) we can't fill a 43k stadium and rarely have and Villa Park is rightly considered one of the best grounds in the country as it is. Not to mention if we did move to a new stadium near the NEC we surely could no longer keep the name Aston Villa

3. When people move grounds its usually for two reasons they need extra capacity (see Arsenal) or their current ground is a shithole (see Man City)

Edited by Ulver

1. Nobody in their right mind would build a new concert Arena in Aston/Witton when we've already got the already revamped LG Arena and NIA close at hand doing very well for themselves.

2. Any talk of moving to a new ground is clearly mental as (a) we can't fill a 43k stadium and rarely have and Villa Park is rightly considered one of the best grounds in the country as it is. Not to mention if we did move to a new stadium near the NEC we surely could no longer keep the name Aston Villa

3. When people move grounds its usually for two reasons they need extra capacity (see Arsenal) or their current ground is a shithole (see Man City)

1. Agree

2. Of course we'd keep the name Aston Villa. Thats the brand, and a reasonably recognisable one both nationally and globally.  

3. Yes and no.

4. Its not just about the "ground" anymore though. Its the hotels/hospitality/resturant opportunities that a new stadium complex provides. All potential money earners for the club.

I would be heartbroken if we left Villa Park, it is an absolute gem of a stadium, but I can see that commercially, if the "new owner" owns the land already to build a purpose built enormo-bowl as part of his existing entertainment complex I can see it happening.

• Like 2

4. Its not just about the "ground" anymore though. Its the hotels/hospitality/restaurant opportunities that a new stadium complex provides. All potential money earners for the club.

Exactly - for us to be able to compete without having similar problems that Man City have now got we would need to ring every last penny possible and that would not be possible if we stay in Aston.

Isn't there a lot of development happening in Aston at the minute? 

For the past couple of years it's been feared that pubs like the Aston Social were going to be knocked down so a huge business development could be built. I think one pub has gone already. Is it possible that maybe with a takeover that there's plans to develop the surrounding areas of Villa Park?  :detect: 

If anyone of the people who think they have reliable info on the new manager or owner, PM me with this info, I will release all images of our new kits.

Its my only card to play...

icantwaittoseehowthisturnsout.gif

• Like 2

If AEG, their interest is only going to be on the basis of having Villa as the anchor tenant for a stadium competitive with Wembley. Whether that means the NEC or knocking most of Aston down to build a new stadium and parking lots near VP....

I wouldn't have a problem if it meant knocking most of Aston down as it is a dump anyway.

Aston may be a dump but we have a Premier League team named after our town, one of the best University's named after our town, have a motorway named after us and have the all famous HP sauce originating from Aston!!

• Like 2

why would anyone build a rival stadium to Wembley ?, Wembley itself struggles to get enough events on to justify its own building cost so what would one in Birmingham put on without football ?

answer : not a fat lot

Think we are getting quite ahead of ourselves here...

I seriously doubt a brand new stadium is on the cards, regardless of who is buying us. Maybe expansion, but even that seem premature at this stage.

Assuming we had the draw to pull in fans in numbers above our current capacity would we really need a new ground?  I though Villa Park is one of the best grounds for extension potential?

Villa Park is next to the M6 motorway link, it has plans approved & in place to develop the North Stand which would take the capacity up to 48-50,000, Why would the Club need to move.

• Like 1

Villa Park is next to the M6 motorway link, it has plans approved & in place to develop the North Stand which would take the capacity up to 48-50,000, Why would the Club need to move.

Over 50000 on the plans