Who realistically should be the next villa manager?

donnie

I thank MON for giving us a few years of joy but I think any owner would want to stop giving him money to spend when you look at the amounts spent on average players.

These American owners must be crazy, Sunderland gave him 20M to spend on Fletcher and Stuart!

thats like paying £400 for a steak meal and saying thanks i was starving.

You telling me you weren't happy for those 3 years?

Hmmm, where would you like me to start?  Needs a whole new thread mi thinks!!!!

That Chelsea assistant manager Rui Faria seems to have a bit of passion about him. Maybe he could coach our team while he's seeing his ban out.  (ok not to realistic I know)

Is this serious? how about Alan Pardew whilst we're at it. Passionate chap.

Or Paolo di Canio. Anyone but dreary old Wenger.

Your calling Wenger dreary when we have Lambert at the helm?? On a note I would have Wenger here all day long.

I thank MON for giving us a few years of joy but I think any owner would want to stop giving him money to spend when you look at the amounts spent on average players.

These American owners must be crazy, Sunderland gave him 20M to spend on Fletcher and Stuart!

thats like paying £400 for a steak meal and saying thanks i was starving.
You telling me you weren't happy for those 3 years?

Hmmm, where would you like me to start? Needs a whole new thread mi thinks!!!!

Yes there were things to moan about and we really missed a big chance to make top 4 but in my lifetime as a villa fan that was probably the best period I can think of since John Gregory's first season in charge. I actually looked forward to each league game thinking we could get a result.

Beggars can't be choosers.

I've always said that Lambert has fulfilled his mandate to cut the wage bill, lower the squad average age and keep us in the Premier League until the accounts are more in order.

I've also maintained that once we have successfully got back to a better financial position whilst remaining a Premiership side Lerner will sell the club.

All of this is still on to happen as far as I'm concerned.

If after the Chelsea home win we'd won a couple more games and looked to finish mid table I think we'd all be quite excited about the future this evening.

What's made Lambert's position untenable now is the interim defeats since then, and the suspensions of his close lieutenants.

I think come the end of the season Lerner and Faulkner will actually be the first to go. Then Lambert will be relieved of his duties when the new owners come in.

As for a realistic appointment I think the name may well just come from nowhere and be a more unknown quantity.

If I had the choice right now I'd like to see a team of Michael Laudrup with Martin Laursen as his right hand man. Sid to go back to the U21s.

• Like 1

who should be manager? theres plenty of guys id like to see here at villa, like dean saunders, david platt, or even a return of john gregory or brian little, or even a manager like claudio ranairi or martin jol, but that aint going to happen unfortunately

who should be manager? theres plenty of guys id like to see here at villa, like dean saunders, david platt, or even a return of john gregory or brian little, or even a manager like claudio ranairi or martin jol, but that aint going to happen unfortunately

good god, how about Steve Staunton?

Neil Lennon would be a good shout if he hasn't already done a deal with Norwich.

I just can't see him or manager with a decent reputation taking on the mess that is currently Aston Villa. Maybe Moyes is desperate enough?

You would honestly prefer Neil Lennon?

We need someone who can mould a team to compete in a league with vastly more resources than ourselves. What would make you think he could do that?

Celtic operate on a shoestring compared to us.

He has managed to unearth talent from England and around Europe for less than Lambert has spent on junk. The likes of Forster, Hooper, Kayal, Wanyama, Izaguire, Commmons, Mulgrew, Ledley are far superior to some of the dross we have signed in last 2 years.

He has also got the most out of some limited players and shown an ability to develop young players.

He has done very well in Europe when you consider the massive difference in spending power between Celtic and their Champions League rivals.

That’s why I think he could work out here.

Anyway it’s just my opinion, based on my belief that we don’t have the pick of Europe!

Him or his scouting team..?

Our corners would improve ;)

• Like 1

Our corners would improve ;)

actually probably be a better left back as well ;)

• Like 1

Considering our finishing position in thelast 3 seasons ( counting this season ) do you really think we are going to get a top manager ?

Wenger: Oh look, instead of trying to qualify for the champions league I will try to finish 17th.

Laudrup: To hell with winning the league cup and finishing mid table, Ill try to improve my reputation by taking Villa to 17th.

Etc,etc,etc

Don't know if Philippe montanier or Thomas tuchel have been suggested, but to me they make the most sense if they'd come.

Honestly, though, I think it's time for villa to get a DOF. Pretty much every country in the world outside of England has most clubs operating with one, and it's no coincidence that clubs with far lower payrolls than English teams can be of comparable quality to English sides spending way more money.

It's too hard in the modern game for managers to be all powerful, to be able to know exactly the right players to buy and bring in, run daily training, know exactly how to run the youth set up, and run the first team well.

Continuity is also an issue. Without a DOF, every time a manager is sacked the new manager wants to bring in all new players, all new staff and has completely new ideas on how to play. It's very inefficient, and wastes tons of money. With a DOF, it's easier to have a defined philosophy, and even if a manager is sacked, the club can bring in a manager that still fits the overall philosophy so all the players don't have to be tossed aside as well.

I understand there are criticisms that maybe the DOF will buy players the manager doesn't want and their relationship won't be good, but that's an issue between them, not with the overall DOF system. In a good system, the DOF and manager will work together on what players to bring in and how to run the team. And almost every other country has realized this.

Also, it's understandable to want a continental manager, but keep in mind most of them have spent their career working under a DOF themselves, so it makes even more sense.

Edited by Rovers13

I think the job is a poisoned chalice tbh, lambert will struggle to get a top level job and in all honesty we'll need to look abroad (middle to relegation level) or to the 2nd tier of England to find a replacement for him.

Lambert can't continue with us regardless.