Who realistically should be the next villa manager?

donnie

So basically, there isn't a manager out there that we can "realistically" get who is going to set the world on fire?

Over 50 pages now & not one name has stood out that a majority agree on. Theres been heavy criticism of every name from the tried & tested to the up & coming.

So basically, there isn't a manager out there that we can "realistically" get who is going to set the world on fire?

Over 50 pages now & not one name has stood out that a majority agree on. Theres been heavy criticism of every name from the tried & tested to the up & coming.

Well when could we get a manager who without the benefit of hindsight could do that?

Whoever we bring in has to be a risk because only the very top teams can appoint managers with proven track records.

There wasn't much opposition when MON was appointed though was there?

Lambert was a firm favourite when appointed as well.

As for proven track records, even those type of manager (Moyes & Mancini for example) are met with disapproval on here.

People need to come down to earth a bit

• Like 2

There wasn't much opposition when MON was appointed though was there?

Lambert was a firm favourite when appointed as well.

As for proven track records, even those type of manager (Moyes & Mancini for example) are met with disapproval on here.

People need to come down to earth a bit

I don't think it has anything to do with people needing to come down to earth, it's just that people have different personal preferences. Some people want someone like Moyes, who won't set the world alight but will tighten us up defensively, stabilise us and probably get us into the top 6/7. Some people want us to take a bit of a gamble on someone with a more attacking/passing mentality, who, with a bit of luck, could get us higher (eg Martinez). People have different opinions, I'm afraid!
  • Like 1

its nothing to do with opinions (although some are admittedly hilarious).

The mere mention of Martinez is an example of the need to come down to earth.

Suggestions of getting another Brendan Rogers are great-Only trouble is, every club outside the top 4 would want one & they don't grow on trees.

Being owned by a billionaire doesn't mean some super duper top class manager is going to crawl up the motorway on his hands & knees to manage us-Just ask Newcastle, Sunderland & Fulham for example.

The point is, we're not where we think we are & there is no stand out candidate for the job as this thread clearly shows.

Suggestions of getting another Brendan Rogers are great-Only trouble is, every club outside the top 4 would want one & they don't grow on trees.

Being owned by a billionaire doesn't mean some super duper top class manager is going to crawl up the motorway on his hands & knees to manage us-Just ask Newcastle, Sunderland & Fulham for example.

The point is, we're not where we think we are & there is no stand out candidate for the job as this thread clearly shows.

I think it's more to do with people's knowledge not going beyond that of the domestic game. Domestically there are very few candidates. There are a fair few more if you look overseas. Trouble is that when one of these is mentioned, ignorance combined with a quick wiki search with the expectancy to find a glittering managerial career of titles and awards normally results in negative feedback. The same people will probably be recommending Paul Scholes to take over who has less charisma than Ed Miliband and will be lucky to even further a coaching career, because he sure as shit doesn't have one in punditry.

There was an uproar when Adkins was sacked, now their then unheard of manager is hot property after a season in charge. Our approach to managerial appointments as a club has been nothing short of horrendous, with the requisite 'Premier League Experience' scuppering any chance of hiring anyone who might move the club forward even on a tight budget. Apparently hiring a manager with premier league experience of getting relegated was a more favourable choice than candidates who have gotten clubs with similar financial restraints overperforming in their respective foreign leagues.

I think it is quite evident now, even for the die hard believers who thought Randy & Co were a positive influence on the club, that the people running our club are totally and utterly clueless, both in general footballing knowledge and with regards to moving the club forward financially and on the pitch. A positive managerial appointment will depend on the club being sold and a reasonably resourceful owner coming in. Only then can we speculate on the names we could potentially attract, otherwise it's lambert or curbs.

If new owners come in - I have a feeling they will go for Laudrup - big name and available  - would also fit in with the 'new era' feeling.  Personally I would play safe and go for Moyes - but he's likley to have a lot more options....

If new owners come in - I have a feeling they will go for Laudrup - big name and available  - would also fit in with the 'new era' feeling.  Personally I would play safe and go for Moyes - but he's likley to have a lot more options....

Or someone like De Boer from Ajax if they can poach him with the promise of huge warchest.

"The mere mention of Martinez is an example of the need to come down to earth"...? I think you're just misunderstood. I named Martinez as an example of the type of manager that some people want (me included). I'm talking about the Martinez that Wigan appointed, much like Pochettino at Southampton, these were managers on the up. Young, promising managers who like to play a passing game. Why would a manager like that be out of our reach? All this thread shows is that we're not employed to look for the types of managers that we each want. If we were paid to do so, I'm sure we could find a handful of managers that would fit our individual preferences.

Can we cross off Brendan Rodgers now as tactility inept ? 

I was shocked at palace's second, liverpool still had like 8 in the box well after the corner had been taken at 3-1, suicide. Shouldn't be too shocked I guess in the philosophical state the game is in atm where defending an advantage is seen as negative.

Left of field suggestion - Temuri Ketsbaia.

Ha now that's a blast from the past. What's he been doing? I'd love to see him have a tantrum when Baker slices a clearance to the opposition striker for the 14th time. I'm not sure we've got enough advertising boards.

Ha now that's a blast from the past. What's he been doing? I'd love to see him have a tantrum when Baker slices a clearance to the opposition striker for the 14th time. I'm not sure we've got enough advertising boards.

Did well in the Cypriot league (won a couple of titles), then had 6 games at Olympiakos (won 5, drew 1, conceded 0) but the fans didn't take to him so he went - now he's manager of the Georgian national team and doing a decent job with them considering how little talent he has available in his squad.

Did well in the Cypriot league (won a couple of titles), then had 6 games at Olympiakos (won 5, drew 1, conceded 0) but the fans didn't take to him so he went - now he's manager of the Georgian national team and doing a decent job with them considering how little talent he has available in his squad.

Now that's the sort of left-field thinking I like!  I can't imagine he'd be anything other than entertaining, and I don't imagine he'd take any messing about in training either!

That's it, I'm nailing my colours firmly to the Ketsbaia mast.  He's got a decent record, all things considered.

• Like 1

Jorge Jesus is the man if we get financial backing!!!! He's done a great job at Benfica and has probably achieved everything that he's going to be able to do with them, domestic league, 2 europa league finals.