Who realistically should be the next villa manager?

donnie

Do you remember when leading up to a match day we as fans were confident of 3 points. Do you remember when we were disappointed to lose at the likes of Everton and Spurs. When we finished 6th and were disappointed. 

If MON had never come in 2006, have a guess what division the club would have been in 07/08. Not the top one.

Do you remember when leading up to a match day we as fans were confident of 3 points. Do you remember when we were disappointed to lose at the likes of Everton and Spurs. When we finished 6th and were disappointed. 

If MON had never come in 2006, have a guess what division the club would have been in 07/08. Not the top one.

Correction, if Lerner had never come in and spent all that money we wouldn't have been in the Premier League in 07/08. I know I'm not alone in thinking that O'Neill coming in with Lerner was a missed opportunity for the club.

Edited by Mantis

How so? What if a better manager had been appointed and had not spunked all our money up the wall?

• Like 1

All? People are acting as if MON never made any good signings. And at the time 2006, the club had just finished 16th under DOL. what manager better then MON would have come in. The club was in a similar position to now.

All? People are acting as if MON never made any good signings. And at the time 2006, the club had just finished 16th under DOL. what manager better then MON would have come in. The club was in a similar position to now.

Who said he didn't make any good signings? Of course he did, he just made way too many bad (expensive) ones.

Is O'Neill really that good a manager though? I can't remember who else we would've been able to get back then but I'm not sure it wouldn't have been difficult to get someone who was willing to look abroad for players.

He wasted a lot of it, not necessarily on transfer fees but on big wages and long contracts which hurt us for years after he left.

MON bought an exciting team. There is no doubt about it. Young, Milner, Downing, swapping Baros for Carew, there were some excellent signings made.

Overall though it was an all in strategy, and when it got a bit expensive Lerner panicked a bit, MON threw the toys out of the pram because he didn't have a bottomless pit of money anymore and the rest is history.

Based on that, I wish we'd gotten someone else in. MON was ultimately a failure.

• Like 1

great contribution as per...

and thunderpower, lets just agree to disagree because I don't think his time at the club was a failure at all.

Edited by Voinjama

great contribution as per...

and thunderpower, lets just agree to disagree because I don't think his time at the club was a failure at all.

Definitely not his time at the club. His time at the club was comfortably the most exciting it has been to be a Villa fan in my time supporting the club. We played exciting football, we had exciting players. 6th is an absolute dream now.

I'm just still not happy with the way he left. Yes, a lot of it goes onto Lerner but not all of it.

Pacbuddies implied that he wasted all the money he was given. 

My apologies, I should have said he spunked a lot of our money up the wall.

As for what better manager could have come in, well with a new owner on the horizon absolutely loaded with cash and prepared to chuck it around like confetti I think plenty of good managers would have wanted the job. 

My apologies again for prolonging this thread with MON talk when it should not be mentioned.

I think MON was one of our best managers.Look at the top 5 teams ( they all spend big ) If you want to be at the top, it costs $$.Mon spent large and we finished 6th and played in europe, as for signings ( everyone makes mistakes ) even Fergie signed that useless Italian goalkeeper.All in all I think MON was a good manager, its just that Lerner could not afford to keep a top team, he can only afford to keep a team that is bottom of the Premier League or near the top of the championship. 

If you spend peanuts you get monkeys.

To answer the thread title, Martin Jol.

But I want Lambert to stay. 

is has to be a joke on all levels?

A joke in a dutch accent with a snarled grin on the face.

Really?

There seems to be a lot of bitter revisionism of O'Neill's reign. Numerous top 6 finishes, exciting players, and actually looking forward to match day suggest he did alright.

How is pointing out the facts revisionism? It was all built on sand and the club suffered as soon as Lerner decided he couldn't afford to bankroll O'Neill's overpriced mediocre British buys.

I don't really want to discuss this so please don't anyone answer.

How is it MON's fault that Lerner found out he wasn't rich enough and decided to change the strategy?

Tim Sherwood is the 4th best manager in the Premier League since his appointment, and he is about to become available.

Tim Sherwood is too annoying for words.

Maybe, but he is probably more qualified than some of the Carlos Kickaballs being mentioned on here ;)

Sherwood is annoying, but at least he gets animated and shows a bit of passion. he needs to calm down a bit, however i find him less annoying than a certain someone in spectacles who sits there looking complety baffled for 90 mins and who's only solution seems to be to make a double substitution with 5/10 mins when its too bloody late.

• Like 1

If we do get taken over then I want someone who has a bit more of a long-term vision than O'Neill did. That's really what stopped him becoming one of the top-class managers, and cost the club. And Sunderland.

I thought he started quite well - but then just seemed to go mad - he also seem to find the whole transfer dealing process stressfull. Who ever the manager is in future it would seem he needs more help or communication at board level - as Howard Hodgson recently observed Lambert is the sole football man in the whole villa hierachy...