Who realistically should be the next villa manager?

donnie

I can remember MON in the transfer market they were always last minute signings with apparently little thought to the future ie Downing, Dunne, Bye, Heskey (omg when that went through i thought that's it now bye bye 4th), Salifou ect ect!

I thank MON for giving us a few years of joy but I think any owner would want to stop giving him money to spend when you look at the amounts spent on average players.

These American owners must be crazy, Sunderland gave him 20M to spend on Fletcher and Stuart!

Really?

There seems to be a lot of bitter revisionism of O'Neill's reign. Numerous top 6 finishes, exciting players, and actually looking forward to match day suggest he did alright.

How is pointing out the facts revisionism? It was all built on sand and the club suffered as soon as Lerner decided he couldn't afford to bankroll O'Neill's overpriced mediocre British buys.

I don't really want to discuss this so please don't anyone answer.

How is it MON's fault that Lerner found out he wasn't rich enough and decided to change the strategy?

It isn't, nor is it his fault that Lerner gave him such a free reign.

That said, it is his fault that he spent much of the money he had so poorly.

Really?

There seems to be a lot of bitter revisionism of O'Neill's reign. Numerous top 6 finishes, exciting players, and actually looking forward to match day suggest he did alright.

How is pointing out the facts revisionism? It was all built on sand and the club suffered as soon as Lerner decided he couldn't afford to bankroll O'Neill's overpriced mediocre British buys.

I don't really want to discuss this so please don't anyone answer.

How is it MON's fault that Lerner found out he wasn't rich enough and decided to change the strategy?

It isn't, nor is it his fault that Lerner gave him such a free reign.

That said, it is his fault that he spent much of the money he had so poorly.

I don't disagree with that. Thanks for a nice answer just as I was going to delete that post.

I've just had a quick read of the names in the early part of the thread. I thought the title said realistic.

As for Jol, I thought he did well at Spurs. Took them to 5th twice when at the time they had never been higher then 7th. Villa similar sized club and I think he could take Villa to mid table if Lambert goes and he gets financially backed.  

Edited by Voinjama

I've just had a quick read of the names in the early part of the thread. I thought the title said realistic.

As for Jol, I thought he did well at Spurs. Took them to 5th twice when at the time they had never been higher then 7th. Villa similar sized club and I think he could take Villa to mid table if Lambert goes and he gets financially backed.  

Was a bit of a disaster at Fulham tho... 

He assembled quite an old team at Fulham and seemed to be going backwards. We'll never know how their season would have panned out if he stayed in charge but I'm not sure he is much of an improvement on Lambert.

1 cup at Ajax with a team including De Jong, Emanuelson,  Suarez, Verthongen, Stekelenburg, Van Der WIel, Alderwiereld and Eriksen among others and losing the league to unheralded Twente

I quite like Jol but it's a bit weird wanting him on the basis that he was doing a much worse job than Lambert this season. Unless we can get a real top manager I'd rather give Lambert one last chance if there is a cash injection.

Really?

....and how much did it cost to assemble these free flowing ball jugglers that failed to get in to double figures of home wins during his stewards ship

tell a lie 2007/2008 10 wins .. wow thats blown my statement.....all for a mere 100 mill outlay, baring a bit back of course.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

I thank MON for giving us a few years of joy but I think any owner would want to stop giving him money to spend when you look at the amounts spent on average players.

These American owners must be crazy, Sunderland gave him 20M to spend on Fletcher and Stuart!

thats like paying £400 for a steak meal and saying thanks i was starving.

thats like paying £400 for a steak meal and saying thanks i was starving.

You telling me you weren't happy for those 3 years?

That Chelsea assistant manager Rui Faria seems to have a bit of passion about him. Maybe he could coach our team while he's seeing his ban out.  (ok not to realistic I know)

Is this serious? how about Alan Pardew whilst we're at it. Passionate chap.

Or Paolo di Canio. Anyone but dreary old Wenger.