How did you pick your VT name?

StefanAVFC

When I had a dreamcast and had to, for the first time ever, decide on a unique name to sign up and play with (for Phantasy Star Online), I was really struggling.

I tried variations on my name and surname, tried my favourite computer game characters, I believe I tried sticking an AVFC on the end too. I didn't really like any, or the ones I did, were taken.

So I looked around my room for inspiration. My eyes settled halfway down my stack of Playstation games - a gem called Hogs of War. For reasons that remain a mystery, I decided that 'hogso' sounded alright (hogsow would've been a step too far, I'm sure you'll agree) and went with that.

It's been my name on the Internet everywhere ever since, and is completely unique as far as I know.

• Like 1

My username Zhan Zhuang is a Mandarin chinese phrase that refers to a type of standing meditation and translates as 'post-standing'. The phonetic pronunciation is close to "Jam Juang".

The idea is to condition the body through standing whilst conditioning the mind to focus on energy within and outside the body.

The irony is people think standing is easy but the longer you stand the more difficult it becomes. There is both a martial arts and internal (Qi Gong) connotation too but the subject is way too complex to go into further...

Was about 7 and we were playing soccer (that's footie to ye lot) at school, we had a 2 on 1 situation and despite having to just slide the ball across for an easy tap in, I saw my name in lights, shot and drove it wide. The other player known locally and internationally as Anthony Shannon then utter the phrase "f- sake Folski". My real name being Foley, so I thought it was quiet a strange word and have claimed it as my own since.

I wanted something totally anonymous as my boss is a villa supporter and wasnt sure if he posted on here, and I could see me posting on here when I should be working. At the time of signing up I sat in seat68. I dont now and think its a really impersonal username.

Mysticism and folklore......Arthurian legends and all that. Avalon is a very spritual, mystical place, so I had some kind of esoteric dawning and made it AValon, Villa Park is my spiritual home, so the connection was obvious.

Â