Summer Speculation 2014

SamTaylor123

Right,

After thinking about this for a little bit, I think it would be a good signing. 

However, if we do have £7m to spend, then I would really hope it would be used on a better player than Cleverly... I still feel we're desperate for a decent attacking midfielder and I don't think Cleverly is it. 

£7million for Cleverly will never happen.

He’s out of contract in the summer, even we aren’t foolish enough to splurge £7million on an unproven 25 year old who will be a free agent in year times!

Yeah, he has only played Iin CL, for England and won the Premier League.

Regardless of how we rate him, he isn't the type of midfielder we really need at this moment. If we have the resources to cover a fee and his wage demands, it could be better spent.

Edit: I do think £7m is a fair price for him though. My gripe isn't with the fee.

Edited by Isa
  • Like 2

He was an excellent player at Wigan and my Watford supporting friend rates him as the best they've had there in recent years (including the likes of Ashley Young etc). Obviously never hit the heights consistently for United but there's a good player in there somewhere. He's better given the license to get forward as well - which is what we need. Whether he's worth £7m when we don't have vast amounts to spend I'm less sure.

Wouldn't bid higher than £6m for Ki but will spunk £7m on Cleverley?

Only at Villa.

I'm not gonna try and convince myself before we sign him that he will offer us an attacking threat and suddenly years of passing sideways and being completely anonymous in games will turn into Ross Barkley esque football.

I will however judge him accordingly if/when he pulls on a claret and blue shirt. I expect him to perform in line with his previous performance history. Shit.

Here's hoping he proves me wrong.

Only at Villa.

I'm not gonna try and convince myself before we sign him that he will offer us an attacking threat and suddenly years of passing sideways and being completely anonymous in games will turn into Ross Barkley esque football.

I will however judge him accordingly if/when he pulls on a claret and blue shirt. I expect him to perform in line with his previous performance history. Shit.

Are you telling me that Ki is a much better footballer than Cleverley, or are you just moaning for moanings sake?

2 mill for cleverly tops hes pretty shit

£2m?

Are you living in 1981?

I wish I was!

We didn't have to bid higher, our bid was accepted.  It was the wages that were the stumbling block.

At the moment I think a striker (preferably on loan) is a bigger priority than an attacking midfielder. We are creating chances, our fit strikers are just poor.

Are we? We managed a few against orient but we didn't against premiership opposition.

Don't know about Stoke but we certainly created a fair few chances against Newcastle but had the same problem - no one to convert them.

What chances did we create against newcastle?

If true, I'm not to upset.

Cleverly isn't good enough for United, and isn't good enough for England (everyone's biggest problem) but definitely good enough for us, and if that's the price in a Shane Long is £12 million then is not a bad deal.

I would still prefure a pacy left sided player though.

• Like 2

At the moment I think a striker (preferably on loan) is a bigger priority than an attacking midfielder. We are creating chances, our fit strikers are just poor.

Are we? We managed a few against orient but we didn't against premiership opposition.

Don't know about Stoke but we certainly created a fair few chances against Newcastle but had the same problem - no one to convert them.

What chances did we create against newcastle?

A header from Charles is the only thing i can think of.

Edited by villalad21

Only at Villa.

Are you telling me that Ki is a much better footballer than Cleverley, or are you just moaning for moanings sake?

I think Cleverley is shit so I'm moaning for moanings sake?

Ki is a better player.

By a long long way.