Summer Speculation 2014

SamTaylor123

If we are spending 8m pounds on Cleverley (highly doubt it's that much) then I don't understand why we didn't go for Sigurdsson. 

Clearly something has changed in the last few weeks. When Swansea signed him we were clamoring around for free transfers.

• Like 2

Sigurdsson Holtby Mutch

Just 3 players that would have benefited us more than Cleverley and gettable.

We penny pinch for years and have to pass on decent players and then spend £9m on this guy?

I can't believe we would be that stupid. It is such a ridiculous waste of money.

Throw the £8m at Spurs for Holtby FFS

Yeah, throw it at them!

Another excellent contribution. May aswell click the sign out button eh?

I do wish we had bought Sigurdsson, or had Michu on loan though, good point rodders.

Not over convinced by Holtby tbh, would prefer Cleverley to him.

Can I ask why Cleverley would be a better signing than Holtby?

Can I ask why anyone would think the other way round.

He would be a better signing because he is a better player in a position we badly need to strengthen in. In the short time in the premiership he has shown he can influence and impact upon a game more than Cleverley can. Cleverley is anonymous. He has more class on the ball, is better with the ball in tight areas, can create more than Cleverley and is unpredictable in his play.

We are crying out for a no 10/winger. Holtby would be perfect. Ask Spurs fans what they think of Holtby then ask UTD fans what they think of Cleverley.

If we are spending 8m pounds on Cleverley (highly doubt it's that much) then I don't understand why we didn't go for Sigurdsson. 

Clearly something has changed in the last few weeks. When Swansea signed him we were clamoring around for free transfers.

What do you think has changed? Genuine question.

That is my hope. Years of penny pinching to 9m on Cleverley? Doesn't make sense

I have no idea, but something must have - it's the only explanation for why we've suddenly started spending a fair amount of money (if this happens).

I still think there could be something in that rumour that we've already been sold and it will be announced in September, but that's just a hunch.

• Like 1

CEO coming in maybe? Still bizzare. Going from free transfers to spending £8m on Tom Cleverely.

I think something was in the pipeline, it went away and Lerner had to spend.

• Like 1

Well we've just been kicked out of the cup by a league 1 team and only scored once in 3 competitive games.

Hopefully whoever makes the football & financial decisions have come to the conclusion that the team is lacking quality in midfield.

No it was one of the Islands just off Italy according to the Trees on another forum. Only a bit of fun though I think it was said that there are many Billionaires who visit it. Some were making connections with Tom Fox though. But like I say just speculation.

Edited by useless

Paying over the odds for average at best players on big wages? The more things change the more they stay the same.

Forgetting about the finances which is only something we are bothered about recently. Cleverley is better than what we have and would get into the team. Can we do better for the sums involved is a different debate but I'd hope there's enough money knocking about to rectify the other areas aswell!!

IMO, I don't rate Cleverly but it's clear to see he does have some potential.

£8m could be better spent. I'd try buying Holtby, Dembele or even bring Ashley Young back for that much; seemingly as all three players are rumoured to be available.