Summer Speculation 2014

SamTaylor123

When you read the article it actually suggests that we'd only get the Tottenham players on loan.

That would make it more plausible, even if it still sounds constructed by Nixon to me. These kind of deals seldom happens (even if it's a poor timing considering the trio that went between Spurs and Swansea just yesterday).

Looking at Nixon's article, it sounds like he suggests 5m. + Holtby as part exchange + additional loan deals.

The north Londoners will offer money, and the chance to take German midfielder Lewis Holtby in exchange.

Levy may also throw in a player or two on loan for a season to help Villa as they face a hard campaign while trying to find a buyer for the club.

• Like 1

When you read the article it actually suggests that we'd only get the Tottenham players on loan.

That would make it more plausible, even if it still sounds constructed by Nixon to me. These kind of deals seldom happens (even if it's a poor timing considering the trio that went between Spurs and Swansea just yesterday).

Looking at Nixon's article, it sounds like he suggests 5m. + Holtby as part exchange + additional loan deals.

The north Londoners will offer money, and the chance to take German midfielder Lewis Holtby in exchange.

Levy may also throw in a player or two on loan for a season to help Villa as they face a hard campaign while trying to find a buyer for the club.

That's nice of them take our best CB and give us a choice of players that aren't good enough for them! Its a load of crap anyway the Mirror is awful as a source.

• Like 1

Alan Nixon has an "article" suggesting Spurs want Vlaar and will give us £5 million, Dawson and Holtby in exchange.

As daft rumours go, thinking about it, I actually think that isn't too bad a deal at all for us.

If its a cash plus player or players then yes, but not if its just to loan two players for a season.  

I like Holtby - saw him against Norwich playing for Spurs and he was pretty impressive, but didn't really get a chance to play in the first season he was here.

Dawson I'd take, but be aware of his weaknesses - but he could form a good partnership with Okore.

I know Vlaar had a good world cup, and yes he has a good season for us, but there have been times he's been pretty poor, particularly his first season.  If we can get some money and a couple of players out of it, I'd drive him to his next club.  At 29 he'll want a bumper contract when his current one is up for one last pay day and with his value high after a good world cup, now would be the time to sell him.  I know that's not everybody's view (que mass ridicule) but if we can sell one player to get 2 or 3 quality players in of the right age and position, in our current situation, I think its a smart move.

• Like 3

Danny Rose wouldn't be a bady player to get from Tottenham. I thought he did great when on loan at Sunderland. I know we signed Richardson but I've got a feeling he's going to be used more in midfield than at Left Back.

Alan Nixon has an "article" suggesting Spurs want Vlaar and will give us £5 million, Dawson and Holtby in exchange.

As daft rumours go, thinking about it, I actually think that isn't too bad a deal at all for us.

If its a cash plus player or players then yes, but not if its just to loan two players for a season.  

I like Holtby - saw him against Norwich playing for Spurs and he was pretty impressive, but didn't really get a chance to play in the first season he was here.

Dawson I'd take, but be aware of his weaknesses - but he could form a good partnership with Okore.

I know Vlaar had a good world cup, and yes he has a good season for us, but there have been times he's been pretty poor, particularly his first season.  If we can get some money and a couple of players out of it, I'd drive him to his next club.  At 29 he'll want a bumper contract when his current one is up for one last pay day and with his value high after a good world cup, now would be the time to sell him.  I know that's not everybody's view (que mass ridicule) but if we can sell one player to get 2 or 3 quality players in of the right age and position, in our current situation, I think its a smart move.

r.e: bold bit; basically Ron Vlaar has continually improved as a Villa player then?  He started off poorly, then got better, then had a great World Cup...

• Like 1

Im not sure id be too pissed if we got Holtby either to be honest. Spurs' squad was way overcrowded in midfield and just because Holtby didn't play much doesn't make him shit. He's meant to be very highly rated and regarded as a talent that has been wasted at Spurs. But i dont know if Vlaar could be replaced so easily. He's a leader in our squad for sure the fans and players obviously look up to him. Getting Holtby would be good but would our budget make room for Vlaar's replacement? That's the question. 

-----------------Holtby-------------------

--------Ki----------------------------------

--------------------------Delph-----------

One can dream. 

Replace Holtby with Isco.

Cheeky bid for isco?

• Like 1

People would actually take that deal? Replace our best defender with a Mid and way past his best Dawson? No, thank you. That'd mean one of Baker, Clark or Senderos would have to play week in week out with Okore...people really want that? Weaken our already not great defence to improve our midfield slightly? We should only get rid of Vlaar if we can buy a CB at least 85%-90% as good as him. Nothing less. 

People would actually take that deal? Replace our best defender with a Mid and way past his best Dawson? No, thank you. That'd mean one of Baker, Clark or Senderos would have to play week in week out with Okore...people really want that? Weaken our already not great defence to improve our midfield slightly? We should only get rid of Vlaar if we can buy a CB at least 85%-90% as good as him. Nothing less. 

I would, because Vlaar will be worth nothing next year unless he signs a new contract. I think Holtby has a lot more to offer and has shown very little so far, he was great in Germany, and Dawson (when fit...) is a good centre back.

The biggest issue is...if Vlaar goes are we serious relegation fodder? A non fit Dawson won't save us.

Oh, I also doubt it's a real offer, perhaps a choice of one or the other but not both, plus our wage structure isnt favourable to big earners.

Edited by itdoesntmatterwhatthissay

Dawson hasn't been a "good" centre back for a while.

He's been better than Senderos, Clarke and Baker and I think for a team struggling to stay in the league he'd be an asset.

I do understand what you're saying though, he's not been good enough for top 4 challenging Spuds.

-----------------Holtby-------------------

--------Ki----------------------------------

--------------------------Delph-----------

One can dream.

Replace Holtby with Isco.

Thought you went over the top yesterday, but I'll abut this made me lol!

I like Holtby, touch of the Milners about him. I'd be worried though that if we didn't replace Vlaar adequately thats a lot to put on Okore's young shoulders, baller that he is. Not enough protection.

Dawson hasn't been a "good" centre back for a while.

He's been better than Senderos, Clarke and Baker and I think for a team struggling to stay in the league he'd be an asset.

I do understand what you're saying though, he's not been good enough for top 4 challenging Spuds.