Summer Speculation 2014

SamTaylor123

...and what the hell is a 'cheeky bid'

Can anoybody explain this commonly used ridiculous phrase?

It's when people suggest we bid for players who are 1. far too good for villa 2. on too high wages to come to villa 3. would have no interest in coming to villa. Usually these players are also brilliant on youtube/football manager.

I don't think it would be viable, but then not many would have thought delafeou would have gone to Everton last season. Real Madrid may not want to sell him as they paid a lot for him last season, yet he is unlikely to get much game time this season. Clubs higher up the echelon than us may only be interested in taking him permanently and so RM may not be interested in that. The prem is a good grounding for players as it strengthens them up. He would be guaranteed a starting place at us which would also aid his development.

As for the FM comments I haven't played that for yrs so has nothing to do with the suggestion

I don't think it would be viable, but then not many would have thought delafeou would have gone to Everton last season. Real Madrid may not want to sell him as they paid a lot for him last season, yet he is unlikely to get much game time this season. Clubs higher up the echelon than us may only be interested in taking him permanently and so RM may not be interested in that. The prem is a good grounding for players as it strengthens them up. He would be guaranteed a starting place at us which would also aid his development.

As for the FM comments I haven't played that for yrs so has nothing to do with the suggestion

Please don't try and justify the notion that a player like Isco would have any interest what so ever in coming here :)

I don't think all these swipes about the Isco comment are fair. Yes, he's a player considered to be much, much better than we can attract. But there have been many scenarios where a player seeking game time, or wanting to put himself in a shop window, have joined clubs that are supposedly beneath them. Especially, considering that the Premier League is one of the best shop windows to put yourself in.

Everton with Delafeou and Royston Drenthe when he first went there, West Ham getting Andy Carroll on loan after he cost £30m not long before, Southampton getting that striker from Italy (I can't remember his name) etc etc

Maybe Isco to Villa is more far-fetched than the above players, but that's why they call it a 'cheeky bid'.

A bid, that is considered cheeky. It's not exactly a difficult one to work out.

With Madrid seemingly getting Rodriguez a cheeky loan bid for Isco should be put in. Yes bigger clubs will probably want to buy him, but Madrid may be happy just to loan him out. Probably pie on the sky but the club may as well ask.

Are you taking the piss or really that deluded?

I don't think all these swipes about the Isco comment are fair. Yes, he's a player considered to be much, much better than we can attract. But there have been many scenarios where a player seeking game time, or wanting to put himself in a shop window, have joined clubs that are supposedly beneath them. Especially, considering that the Premier League is one of the best shop windows to put yourself in.

Everton with Delafeou and Royston Drenthe when he first went there, West Ham getting Andy Carroll on loan after he cost £30m not long before, Southampton getting that striker from Italy (I can't remember his name) etc etc

Maybe Isco to Villa is more far-fetched than the above players, but that's why they call it a 'cheeky bid'.

A bid, that is considered cheeky. It's not exactly a difficult one to work out.

Football is business, there is no such thing as 'a cheeky bid'

Clubs either want to sell him or they don't, Isco either would want to come or he wouldn't.

A bid is a bid, multi million pound deals,  this isn't **** ebay.

...we sound almost as bad as Newcastle.

Isco is one of the most gifted players of his generation, this is a club that has just signed Senderos.

Work it out.

I say we submit the following cheeky bids, cheeky bids, no harm done, you gotta chance your luck now and again .

Benzema - a cheeky bid of £2.5m and a contract of £10k a week, £50k per goal and £50k appearance fee. Cheektastic.

Vidal - a cheeky bid of £1.8m, and a contract of £20k a week, £50k appearance bonus, £5m after 20 league goals in a season, £5m after winning the league.Cheektacular

Ramos - Cheeky bid of £500k, basic wage of £15k a week, clean sheet bonus £50k a week, team of the season bonus £2m. Cheekorama!

• Like 3

rodders0223, I don't know what you're trying to prove with the above posts. They're pretty pointless, and don't prove anything.

A cheeky bid doesn't automatically mean a ridiculous bid (including unrealistic wages) that we know will not be accepted.

Yes, clubs either want to sell or they don't, but you seem to be failing to acknowledge that the club that owns the player does not inform the world of the smallest offer they will accept for a sale/ loan of a player.

Like you said, football is a business. So teams keep their cards close to their chests. Because of this, what we might view as a 'cheeky bid' (for any player, I'm not talking about Isco) could be seen by the other team as acceptable, if it suits all parties.

Or would you rather we just paid over the odds for every player, to avoid looking like an ebay buyer?

• Like 2

I say we submit the following cheeky bids, cheeky bids, no harm done, you gotta chance your luck now and again .

Benzema - a cheeky bid of £2.5m and a contract of £10k a week, £50k per goal and £50k appearance fee. Cheektastic.

Vidal - a cheeky bid of £1.8m, and a contract of £20k a week, £50k appearance bonus, £5m after 20 league goals in a season, £5m after winning the league.Cheektacular

Ramos - Cheeky bid of £500k, basic wage of £15k a week, clean sheet bonus £50k a week, team of the season bonus £2m. Cheekorama!

Funny thing is that, allegedly, we weren't too far away from signing Benzema on loan from Real under Houllier. 

Funny thing is that, allegedly, we weren't too far away from signing Benzema on loan from Real under Houllier. 

I remember, the bid wasn't cheeky enough iirc.

• Like 2