Summer Speculation 2014

SamTaylor123

IMO, I don't rate Cleverly but it's clear to see he does have some potential.

£8m could be better spent. I'd try buying Holtby, Dembele or even bring Ashley Young back for that much; seemingly as all three players are rumoured to be available.

Young? I'd much rather spend £8m on Cleverley than Young.

• Like 3

IMO, I don't rate Cleverly but it's clear to see he does have some potential.

£8m could be better spent. I'd try buying Holtby, Dembele or even bring Ashley Young back for that much; seemingly as all three players are rumoured to be available.

Yes to Holtby and Dembele. No to Ashley. 

In answer sonic.

Regarding Cleverley, i find him quicker on the ball, good movement, looks forward, tries to be positive.For me hes a bit quicker and sharper on the ball than Holtby, and i think alongside Sanchez and Delph, would give us better balance.I watched Holtby against Fulham last year, and he never struck me as being very positive.Had plenty of the ball, and was busy, but didn't seem too interested in playing, or looking for , a killer pass.We need a midfield player who wants to take chances and hurt the opposition, not safe players like Holtby, and as much as i rate him and like him, Dembele.

• Like 2

Signed him in FM, and played him in a creative midfield role. He was excellent. Good move by Lambert, I hear you say?

Nah, because I managed to get him for 4 million. So clearly this is a shit bit of business. Fox OUT.

• Like 2

8/9m for him is not money well spent.

Will he improve the squad? Yes.

Will he improve the first 11? Debatable.

Could you get a better player for the money? 100% yes

How does he not improve the first 11?

I'd say delph is probably better than him but he's better than others we have who can play there.

We need a striker not a midfielder. Our midfield is good enough to avoid the drop. As is our defense.

Any decent striker would bring us much much closer to avoiding the drop. And for 8m pounds there are plenty of options that I feel could do better than Bent or Weimann. Especially if we go shopping overseas. Instead we get cleverley. 

If we have had a bid accepted I think wages will be the key issue. Having Keane at the club has most likely had much to do with us going for the player and will most likely determine his choice of club if the wage offers made are much the same and Everton have run out of cash by now. If they have not might this suggests they have found a buyer before we have?  

8/9m for him is not money well spent.

Will he improve the squad? Yes.

Will he improve the first 11? Debatable.

Could you get a better player for the money? 100% yes

This this and this. Sanchez was a much more important signing for us imo and he cost 50% less. Sometimes it's not all about spending as much as you possibly can to excite the fans.

We need a striker not a midfielder. Our midfield is good enough to avoid the drop. As is our defense.

Any decent striker would bring us much much closer to avoiding the drop. And for 8m pounds there are plenty of options that I feel could do better than Bent or Weimann. Especially if we go shopping overseas. Instead we get cleverley.

Lambert thinks Benteke will be back soon and just as good as before, He is not going to blow £8 million on a striker to then drop them for Benteke

• Like 1

I think he could be a fine signing if we could restore his confidence, but at 25 we cannot talk about potential improvements! At his best though he is similar to Millner, energy, covers a lot of ground, likes to attack and team player, good crosser. 

Can't help thinking we can find better for the money though, and can't help thinking we need a top class passer in the middle more! Having said that a confident Cleverly alongside Delph and Sanchez, with Benteke up top and our new look defense, with Grealish coming through could be quite exciting!

We don't need a striker. We've got 2 coming back from injury, and 3 who are currently playing. We could loan one perhaps, we certainly don't need to buy one. If we could loan Wellbeck til January that would be good. 

What's the point in buying a striker now, who will go straight to the bench when Benteke is fit in a months time.

We need players who can improve our first 11. If we're going to persist with playing 4-3-3 then I think a tricky winger/attacking midfielder should be a much higher priority

Edited by PieFacE
  • Like 2

Lambert thinks Benteke will be back soon and just as good as before, He is not going to blow £8 million on a striker to then drop them for Benteke

Why can't we play with two strikers? 

Why can't we play with two strikers? 

Because our team is too weak to play 4-4-2 really, unless we play 4-4-2 diamond which seems to fail more than it works. 

Who are we gonna loan who would be better than Weimann or Gabby?

A loan suggests someone a club wants to get rid of the wages of. I someone doubt that's the quality of player who can hold the fort whilst Benteke and Kozak are out.

Grant Holt is a surprising quality of signing for a loan, and he wasn't really good enough.

I think we need an attacker who can play up top but also the 10 role. Gabby and Weimann aren't clever enough to do that yet they get played there all the time. Neither can pick a pass when deep. Someone of the ilk of Guidetti not sure how good he is though. We also need a wide midfielder/winger as again those 2 play there but don't create anything.

When Benteke and Kozak are both back do you think it will be The Beast on his own with Libor on the bench? I can imagine them doing some real damage playing together but just don't see how it work...

Guzan

Hutton Vlaar Senderos Cissokho

N'Zogbia Sanchez Delph Richardson

Benteke Kozak

??