Summer Speculation 2014

SamTaylor123

Maybe but we desperately need some creativity in the squad and Hoolahan + some league 1 bloke in will not do it for me.

I'd only look at a loan as if Ben Arfa plays up we just send him back rather than be lumbered with him for 3 years and counting like CNZ, Ireland etc.

I think we need to look at who Spurs unload this summer aswell...they have a ridiculous inflated squad and 12 midfielders!

Holtby, Siggurdson, Lamela, Townsend, Lennon, Chadli, Bentaleb, Paulinho,Sandro, Eriksen, Capoue, Dembele, 3-4 of those will be on the move, obviously some much more realistic than others but given the way Levy runs the club not all of them will be on massive wages.

Being realistic though we'll probably end up with Kyle Naughton!

I think we need to look at who Spurs unload this summer aswell...they have a ridiculous inflated squad and 12 midfielders!

Holtby, Siggurdson, Lamela, Townsend, Lennon, Chadli, Bentaleb, Paulinho,Sandro, Eriksen, Capoue, Dembele, 3-4 of those will be on the move, obviously some much more realistic than others but given the way Levy runs the club not all of them will be on massive wages.

Being realistic though we'll probably end up with Kyle Naughton!

Holtby, capoue & Townsend

I sense there is no chance we'd get Ben Arfa he'd cost too much and teams doing better than us presently would like to buy him.

Edited by useless

Richards would be a no brainer signing he is the type that will do really well and someone will buy him for twice the price a couple of years down the line, but I doubt we could afford his wages he must be on at LEAST 60k a week.

Richards? Not under Lambert and completely the wrong sort of player to go for. 

We've just spent ages shifting overpaid players off the wage bill - this guy will more than likely go the way of Sidwell, Ireland etc and his performances have never been convincing. I'd rather start Bacuna at RB over this guy. 

We won't be signing Richards. 

We won't sign players from Man City, even if they do agree to take a pay cut they still wont fit our wage structure. We sign players from foreign leagues because we can tempt them here even paying very modest wages by premier league standards. They still get a pay rise and we can keep our expenses below our income.  

• Like 1

We have been through a heavy shift in strategy, ridding some players and lowering the wage structure. However, the goal cannot be to lower it forever and just buy prospects on 5k a week. That doesn't make any sense to me, because in the long-run we will lose out on buying a few really good players and it would essentially mean relegation. Lerner and the guys running the finances knows that there is a huge correlation between transfers/wages and where you finish in the table. The higher you finish - more money will be received at the end. Not necessarily of course, a few guys will mention QPR and Leeds immediately, but I am not saying we should spend above our weight. We did pay 7M for Benteke, we paid almost the same for Kozak - so there is money to spend on a few players that will make us better.

I wouldn't be overly surprised if we spent some money in the summer, we are definitely at a crossroad, we cannot continue this cycle and expect anything other than a scrap below middle or a relegation dogfight, and where is the fun in that for the owner? The books are balanced to some degree, at least compared to the other clubs I would expect, so we have to invest to perform better and thus earn more money.

Interesting tranfer situation what with the World Cup pending.

Will transfers be made before or after; normally things are quiet and it takes one or two larger moves to free up some of the smaller moves but I wonder if that dynamic will change this summer?

Guess we'll find out soon enough, but we have to be looking at some decent players who may be playing in Brasil?