Summer Speculation 2014

SamTaylor123

Barry never relied on pace (or his lack of it!) so he can still do a job for a few more years.

I would be ecstatic to see him in a Villa shirt again, probably just some nostalgia.

What i start to see when a player gets older they seem to get injured more :) nothing to do with pace. Days of Villa giving dying wasps their final big pay day are gone thankfully

If we did sign Barry on a 4 year contract then Lambert definitely would need sacking. Having gone through all the shit of the last two years rebuilding on a shoe string to making the same mistake as O'Neill and McLeish would be ridiculous. I hope I can safely assume we won't be going down that route. I fancy if Lambert had that much dosh to waste he would be a bit wiser with it.

Someone here mentioned Mbia earlier.  I didn't realise he was on loan at Sevilla from Q.P.R. (lol at that in itself) but he was quality against Porto last night.

I'd assume he'd demand high wages and, to be honest, would probably go to a bigger club.  Would anyone be keen though?  Seems to be one of the two kinds of midfielder we're lacking.

Before he joined QPR I said I would have liked him here and I was shocked when he joined them. Obviously we can't be sure as to how much he is on, but I can't imagine Sevilla are paying much at all to take him on loan as they simply can't afford it. 

Would be a good signing, but probably not likely as I still think he must be earning £50k+ which is just a no go for us at the minute, unfortunately. 

Somebody mentioned him leaving QPR on a free this summer

Was me!! was in 2 papers i read last week that he is out of contract in the summer... 

i just went check http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/en/stephane-mbia/profil/spieler_27470.html and says he's out contract next summer? Take it that site is more reliable?

Edited by Villan4Life

One of the papers actually linked us to Mbia in January 2013, I remember at the time looking at the QPR boards and they seemed desperate that we might take him of their hands. I know he was highly rated before joining them though so maybe it was just hard for him to thrive in that environment.

I've found this little rumour mill article in the Birmingham Mail but I think it was in one of the nationals as well.

M'bia has been decent this season, quite impressed with him against real a week or so back.

Also Craig Gardner on a free this summer (assume this has already been mentioned in here at some point), would surely be a decent addition as a squad member despite being a nose?

Gardner was okay at sma under Mcleish when they used bomb it up to Zigic and he would play just behind him to pick up the knock downs. But before that for us and since his move to Sunderland he's been pretty dreadful going by what I've seen and read from the Sunderland fans.

I could see it happening. He was very happy in Birmingham and I heard a few years ago that he'd love to come back to us after he'd been at Man City. Without paying a transfer fee, I could see Lambert offering him a decent wage. <br />

<br />

A 2 year deal, with the option to extend it if we wish, would be ideal. <br />

<br />

Then all we'd need would be a creative midfielder and Bertrand (assuming that we're going to continue playing Bacuna at rb). <br />

<br />

Gabby - - - Benteke - - - Weimann<br />

Delph - - - Barry - - - Westwood <br />

Bertrand - Vlaar - Okore - Bacuna<br />

- - - - - - - Guzan - - - - - - - - - <br />

<br />

That would be the team in a 433. With the creative midfielder, we could simply swap one of Delph/Westwood for the creative midfielder and play a 4231.

I could see it happening. He was very happy in Birmingham and I heard a few years ago that he'd love to come back to us after he'd been at Man City. Without paying a transfer fee, I could see Lambert offering him a decent wage. <br />

<br />

A 2 year deal, with the option to extend it if we wish, would be ideal. <br />

<br />

Then all we'd need would be a creative midfielder and Bertrand (assuming that we're going to continue playing Bacuna at rb). <br />

<br />

Moses - - - Benteke - - - Johnson <br />

Delph - - - Chalobah - - - Holtby<br />

Bertrand - Vlaar - Okore - Bacuna<br />

- - - - - - - Guzan - - - - - - - - - <br />

<br />

That would be the team in a 433. With the creative midfielder, we could simply swap one of Delph/Westwood for the creative midfielder and play a 4231.

Fixed

I can't see us buying 5 players of that quality/cost. Holtby, Barry and Bertrand is realistic imo. Bertrand £5m, Holtby £9m, Barry for free. I'd be happy with that. Putting a halt on purchasing squad fillers and bringing in that much needed experience.

I can't see us buying 5 players of that quality/cost. Holtby, Barry and Bertrand is realistic imo. Bertrand £5m, Holtby £9m, Barry for free. I'd be happy with that. Putting a halt on purchasing squad fillers and bringing in that much needed experience.

Barry would be more likely to stop at Everton, we defo need 4 quality players no more squad fillers

Guzan (Steer)

Richards (Lowton**)          Vlaar  (Capuano)         Okore (Baker, Clark)        Bertrand (Bennett)

Westwood/Rodwell (Sylla)    Delph (Powell*, KEA)

Redmond (Albrighton, Carruthers)    Kiyotake (Bacuna, Grealish)      Agbonlahor (Tonev, Graham, Robinson)

Benteke (Kozak, Weimann, Helenius)

In

Micah Richards - £6m. Won a title, 13 Caps but only 1 year left hence the price. Probably have better offers.

***Marco Capuano - £1m. Was highly rated last season. Pescara relegated and doing poor in Serie B though.

Ryan Bertrand - £3m? Impressed on loan. Better than Bennett and Luna.

Jack Rodwell - £5-7m, he's a very good player out of his depth and unhappy at Man City.

Nathan Redmond - £3m if NCFC go? Villa fan, decent young player. Rotate with Albrighton & Carruthers

Hiroshi Kiyotake - I know... But Nurnberg likely getting relegated. Maybe on the cheap? £5m? Holtby If not.

* Nick Powell - Loan. Played with Westy before, makes some great runs at defences.

£27m

Out

Charles NZogbia £2m

Darren Bent £3m

Alan Hutton £250k

Shay Given £250k

Luna £500k - could stay only had 12 months to adapt. Get the feeling he will leave though.

Chris Herd - £500k

Gary Gardner - Out Of Contract - Still hoping for a 2 year contract and an injury free, great 2 years. Feel we'd regret losing him.

** Lowton £2m - Really hope Lambert reassesses his relationship with Lowton. Theres a good player there.

£6.5m

Net £20.5m.

* Loan

** Hopefully not!

*** If Vlaar and Okore both stay fit (Ha!) we may not need a 5th CB, young upcoming one like Capuano could be a shout though, or just promote Donacien. 

I think that is fair, Lerner has been investing around £20m per year so far for Lambert so it is realistic to expect that to continue. I think Lambert will still aim for younger players but maybe gear towards those with Premier League experience, hence the moves for Richards, Bertrand, Redmond, Rodwell. Young players with a bit of Premier League experience.

Important to note that this isn't my ideal. I understand that is  a lot of young players again and may be a struggle at times. But I think a spine of Guzan, Vlaar, Okore, Rodwell/Westwood, Delph and Benteke is good enough to cope and lay some foundations moving forwards. And if Lamberts 'project' is going to succeed it needs to be an ongoing one. One team of young players building up together is great, but they need to be replenished and challenged for their places or - as we've seen this season with Weimann, Benteke, Lowton and to a lesser extent Westwood - they get complacent.

Edited by HalfTimePost

Would anybody be against us signing Larsson and Brunt this summer? I would like to see those come in, with Holtby, a RB, Bertrand permanent and that would about do me :) along with getting rid of all the crud in the squad and bringing through some gems like Grealish

Edit: I say Larsson and Brunt because they are out of contract

Edited by skarroki