Grant Holt

samjp26

What did he do that Bowery didn't do when he used to come on?

Apart from getting booked for cheating.

Held it up

In 25 minutes he made 7 passes to a villa player.

Bowery's last appearance he played 13 minutes and made 6 passes to a villa player and also had a shot on target.

I'm not seeing a big difference.

stats mean **** all, we all know that

he played well, did what was needed, had more energy than i expected and put himself about

looked like he can play with benteke, sure he read a few knock downs and was generally playing around him like he should

Held it up

Bowery's last appearance he played 13 minutes and made 6 passes to a villa player and also had a shot on target.

Will you quit with these shit stats. There's more to a game of football than how many passes somebody made!
Yes. And I posted them in response to a post specifically about passes.

Held it up

And yet Holt had far more impact than Bowery.
If you say so.

He never said anything about passes, he said held it up! What stat do you have got the instructions he gave out to players and the impact he had that way?

As i've mentioned before, he completely ruins our attacking flow when he is brought in on the wide. I have no problems with him, it isn't really his fault, but Lambert clearly use him wrong. He should be played as backup for Benteke ONLY!

Albrighton in for Lowton would have made much more sense to me.

Using him wrong as in holding up the ball, slowing play down so we don't get countered against?

Or winning free kicks and throw-ins to interrupt any play they have going, and waste time?

Or closing down and putting pressure on the opposition, aiding our very tired midfield?

Or helping the rest of our young players keep their cool, who in the past have a tendency to panic and give away the ball when we're in the lead and it's close to full time?

Good sub, did exactly what was needed. Helped us grind out the win.

Hopefully that makes it clearer so you can stop deliberately missing the point :-) 

Edited by StefanAVFC

I was supportive of signing Grant Holt - thought he would give us a bit of guile craft and experience.  Apart from giving Weiman a breather - didn't really see what he brought to the show. Lets hope he up his game a bit

How are completed passes not relevant to holding the ball up?

Haha he gave instructions? Football genius Grant Holt.

Well yes, talking is important on a football pitch, he has that experience and he gets an extra point for giving kea a bollocking.

Anyone at that game surely saw he made an impact on the game in a positive way, not spectacular but what was expected.

Well yes, talking is important on a football pitch, he has that experience and he gets an extra point for giving kea a bollocking.

Anyone at that game surely saw he made an impact on the game in a positive way, not spectacular but what was expected.

I was at the game and we looked worse when he was on the pitch. Yes of course talking is important but you'd think we're incapable of getting a result without grant holt telling people what to do.

We have quality players in vlaar, delph and benteke on the pitch, i don't think we're reliant on the thoughts of a man who has had one decent season in the premier league.

You could argue his general nuisance mode saved us all 3 points. However when went 4-3 up - I thought we were capable of more goals as WBA were dire at the back......

He did ok when he come on, hes steady and knows the game you need that experience. I remember when we played reading at vp they had jason roberts playing for them, not the best but hes been around. He was drawing fouls of our young centre backs and making a nuisance of himself and it caused us problems.

Nah, people decided he's rubbish when we signed him so he'll remain rubbish whatever he actually does on the pitch.

And likewise some decided it was a smart signing and will praise him no matter how he plays.

I'll happily give him credit if he deserves it.

We were winning. He came on. We held on to our lead and won.

Job done, for all I'm concerned. If it was such a bad change, West Brom would have had a decent chance of note, but I don't seem to remember one as we completely killed the tempo of the game.

I thought he was a nuisance. On the limited bit I saw of him, I thought he was near enough to what was needed. Someone to give the ball to who could retain possession and maybe give it to someone else. He was our prick as well. I like pricks when they're playing for Villa and effective. I thought he was and I'd like to see him do a bit more of it. Linked up very well with Benteke at one point.

Him coming on coincided with Lambert changing the style of play completely - going defensive and setting up shop, hence taking off more technically minded players for more physical ones. It worked and Holt was a part of that - he didn't do anything amazing, no, but he didn't do anything wrong either and did help with the plan by (as others have said) being a nuisance.

I don't think a lot of people realize this, but he was actually receiving instructions and was about to come on prior to the Lugano conceding the penalty, so it was a purely defensive change, Lambert was going to make it whether or not villa took the lead.

Got caught late in the game on the right sideline about halfway and surrounded by 3 WBA midfielders....

... held the first midfielder off using his body, waited for another one to get close enough and played off him for a throw.

Means bugger all in the big scheme of things, perhaps, but if all our players could have done the same it would have been a far less nervy finish. We need that kind of cool head - especially in a derby where the winner ends up in the top half of the table.

Â