Thomas Hitzlsperger

rjw63

Massive respect him, it looks as though he was out to his team mates at a number of clubs for some time which is very encouraging. I still think with the attitudes of a lot of fans were a while away from someone being publically out whilst still playing; I guess you could do without giving tens of thousands of people an extra thing to taunt you with.

true but id expect he probably doesnt want to be all over media as well. Have to blame the media for overhyping these things just like with Tom Daley

The media will only hype to a salivating audience.  If genpop didn't give a shit, they'd soon stop hyping it.  Hopefully it becomes commonplace enough that it stops being newsworthy.  But as Rev says, opposition fans will definitely make a player's life harder and good luck to the clubs & FA policing everyone who chants.

Good on the lad for coming out.

I don't think it constitutes front page news on the BBC website though. It shouldn't constitute news at all really.

It IS news now though, and rightly so.

It needs to be made news until it isn't news, if that makes any sense.

The sport needs some high profile gay icons. But that's easier said than done because they'd essentially be martyrs, taking a load of abuse for the next few years until it's tackled.

I don't think it constitutes front page news on the BBC website though. It shouldn't constitute news at all really.

The sport needs some high profile gay icons. But that's easier said than done because they'd essentially be martyrs, taking a load of abuse for the next few years until it's tackled.

Yeah I did think about that.

Then I thought the BBC could be giving it more weight than it's due because of it's long running campaign to 'out' gay footballers (all be it in a positive way).

I appreciate what you're saying, the media are basically demonstrating that it's absolutely fine to be gay, and making a big point of it. But even still, I think it gets too much attention.

A footnote in the day's news is what it should be.

As others have said, it's a shame that this is even a news story. Much love and respect to Hitz though. It doesn't change a thing for me. He's still Der Hammer, and he'll always be a Villa man!

thinking about it its probably be more high profile than Robbie Rogers as Hitz is definitely the highest profile player to announce it. Hopefully it will help others to be made more comfortable about it

Hitz is retired though, he'll get no abuse so it'll never be tackled.

I've given this analogy before, but it would be as if we somehow hadn't had any black footballers yet. Then suddenly next week one popped up. Racism in football would then suddenly emerge. It would have existed before but no one would have been there to take the abuse.

I don't think until targeted homophobia in football exists (the only people targeted with homophobic abuse these days are people who aren't actually gay, like Le Saux was or Matthew Upson) then it can't really be tackled. We can be told it's wrong, but I don't think that will erradicate it before it exists.

Edited by Stevo985
  • Like 1

Yeah that does make sense.

I do think there's a difference between the 2 scenarios, you'd like to think that as a society we are far less homophobic than we were racist 'back in the day'. But yes, I suspect the hill has yet to be climbed with regards to tackling homophobia in football.

Shouldn't be news in this day and age, but hopefully this helps other footballers to come out and be happy. Fair play to our adopted brummie. Gay or not he was a decent footballer for us

I 100% agree with you!

Yeah that does make sense.

I do think there's a difference between the 2 scenarios, you'd like to think that as a society we are far less homophobic than we were racist 'back in the day'. But yes, I suspect the hill has yet to be climbed with regards to tackling homophobia in football.

Yeah i totally agree. The groundwork has been laid, in a way, to say that Homophobia is wrong. We're at a better starting point with regards to homophobia than we were with Racism, I'd wager.

But I still don't think it'll stop abuse totally until it happens.

If a chant erupted today at am English ground of something like "John Smith is a fag" do you think much action would be taken? I don't reckon it would.

But if the chant was "John Smith is a n**ger" then all hell would break loose.

• Like 1

I am a bit surprised as I thought he had a girlfriend at Uni here in Brum at the time he played for us?  However, I remember a long time ago (when JPA and Hitz played for us) being at Bodymoor Heath waiting to get some autographs (the old training ground) - it was pouring with rain and the Hitz commented how devoted I must be to stand around in the pouring rain like that - I remember saying to my friends afterwards what a nice lad he was - concerned for my welfare.   I always liked HItz . Fair play to him.

If a chant erupted today at am English ground of something like "John Smith is a fag" do you think much action would be taken? I don't reckon it would.

Didn't people actually get taken to criminal court on the back of calling Sol Campbell a 'gay boy' (not the infamous chant which contains all sorts of phobias!) from the stands a few years ago?

Â