Aston Villa up for Sale.....at a price

smetrov

Where has Howard hodgson said were up for sale ?

He is no where near that wealthy - he owns or did own a lot of funeral operators ..........{insert your own joke]
Howard Hodgson is nowhere near nouveau-Premier League wealth, but he was (is?) a highly successful businessman and was, at one point, Britain's largest funeral director.

An edition of 'The Money Programme' around 20 years ago was dedicated to him and, from that, he would have made an interesting colourful football club chairman.

I should imagine that he is wealthier than Bill Kenwright, so maybe he would fit if some others would put in as well.

Just looking on google and it said he sold his share in his funeral business for £7 million. From his tweets in the past it seems he is able to get some inside info.

Looking on his twitter, he lives near Poole - probably Sandbanks where a few manager live. He also has a table in villa directors lounge so will be getting the gossip. That's probably about it, he may be mates with Faulkner or even lambert?

re the buying price of the club... lerner spent £62.6m acquiring 56.85% from doug initially then by the 19th of september had bought 90%, the rest followed afterwards

so if 56.85% was £62.6m, 100% was around about £110m

About half the value of this house then - http://www.theweek.co.uk/uk-news/52652/britains-most-expensive-house-five-facts-about-%C2%A3250m-mansion

We are most certainly not the same person.

Yeah I think that's obvious.

How does Lambert feel about the club being available for sale? Surely it can't make him confident he will be here long term?

The club is no more 'for sale' now than it was when Lambert arrived.

Like most things that are 'for sale' or 'not for sale', if someone comes up with the right money, then it is sold.

Randy Lerner's personal circumstances have changed dramatically and unforeseeably since he took the club over, so I am sure that he would be pleased to sell and get out on his investment. I doubt whether that would include any kind of return though.

• Like 2

Just to be clear - Howard Hodgson on Twitter is the son of THE Howard Hodgson, Funeral Director and writer of the pre-Lerner "Hodgson Report". He has a box at VP and gets his information about the club through that.

He runs a business that suppliers temporary workers to Villa, this is why he sits in the Directors box and has regular contact with Faulkner. Very reputable and genuine guy, would trust his insights.

re the buying price of the club... lerner spent £62.6m acquiring 56.85% from doug initially then by the 19th of september had bought 90%, the rest followed afterwards

It's unbelievable how often that £60m figure is quoted. I wasn't aware it was for less than 60%.

re the buying price of the club... lerner spent £62.6m acquiring 56.85% from doug initially then by the 19th of september had bought 90%, the rest followed afterwards

His initial stake (£110m), plus an equity injection of circa £80m, plus £130m in loans means that IF the £250M is correct then he is most certainly willing to write off some money. Edited by Morley_crosses_to_Withe

Just to be clear - Howard Hodgson on Twitter is the son of THE Howard Hodgson, Funeral Director and writer of the pre-Lerner "Hodgson Report". He has a box at VP and gets his information about the club through that.

He runs a business that suppliers temporary workers to Villa, this is why he sits in the Directors box and has regular contact with Faulkner. Very reputable and genuine guy, would trust his insights.

Fair enough. Knew it was something like that.

Destroys the myth that the last few years was all so we could sort things out in order to invest and try again.

Destroys the myth that once Doug sold up there was nothing that would stop Villa achieving great success/trophies/world domination. Ellis must be pissing himself. At least he made money on us and occasionally we had a half decent side under him.

to compete for Europa League football, a new owner will need to bang in £80m of their own money each season to get us into shape

That seems a lot. Everton don't pump that amount in each year and spurs don't even do that do they?

We aren't in their position and to get there we'd need to spend. To stay there we'd still need to spend - getting into the Europa league means being better than Everton.

Whilst I agree, it won't take a billion pounds to be better than Everton or even Spurs. That's absolutely absurd.

O'Neill nearly took us there and he blew wads of cash on shite like Marlon Harewood. If we were to invest that kind of money again, only a wee bit wiser, no doubt we'd be competing up there once more.

You need to be a billionaire, but you don't need to spend a billion.

• Like 1

Sorry to be the arse who says this but.......

What a pointless thread some guy on twitter and a poster on here says the club is up for sale and suddenly loads of posters come on here speculating about prices and all that.

News flash my car is up forsale if someone offers me silly money the same goes for your house and maybe even your family pet.

Until someone has been appointed to handle the sale, someone from the club says something, a buyer says something or at the very least a detailed article in a news paper this is all bollocks.

to compete for Europa League football, a new owner will need to bang in £80m of their own money each season to get us into shape

That seems a lot. Everton don't pump that amount in each year and spurs don't even do that do they?
We aren't in their position and to get there we'd need to spend. To stay there we'd still need to spend - getting into the Europa league means being better than Everton.

Whilst I agree, it won't take a billion pounds to be better than Everton or even Spurs. That's absolutely absurd.

O'Neill nearly took us there and he blew wads of cash on shite like Marlon Harewood. If we were to invest that kind of money again, only a wee bit wiser, no doubt we'd be competing up there once more.

you do the way we spend it..... we need to sign 30 odd players to get one good one

you do the way we spend it..... we need to sign 30 odd players to get one good one
Whilst I appreciate the flippancy, I'm kinda tired of reading it. Here, there and everywhere. Solid, consistent investment has seen the likes of Spurs and Everton competing for European places year on year for a rather long time now. We almost made it to the promised land ourselves and we wasted an awful, awful lot of money.

It's doable and you don't need Abramovich money to do it. What you do need is a plan.

Edited by dont_do_it_doug.

£250m?? If that is anywhere near what Randy would want to make from a sale then we are as likely to be sold as Small Heath are given neither he nor Carson Yeung can expect to get all of their investment back.

By the way our former owner also said he sold to Randy for £62.6m on the understanding he would make £20m available to MON for players which would value the club at £82.6m back then. £250m would leave little provision for squad building unless any new owner/organisation was mega rich in a much bigger way than Randy was back when he became custodian of our football club and offered us that bright future.