Aston Villa up for Sale.....at a price

smetrov

Destroys the myth that the last few years was all so we could sort things out in order to invest and try again.

Only if it's true.

£250M is ludicrous, given the TV money, I would expect the value to be more like £125M to £150M.

Equity aside, isn't there debt at around £125 mill owed to Mr Lerner? .. £125 mill for the equity and debt paid out at par would add up to the £250 mill.

Edited by Villain4Life

I have no idea what your post is even trying to communicate. Read the original again, slowly

I'll requote the first line of my comment and the bit of your post that I quoted so you can have another go, then:

...with £20m going straight back to the club coffers, then the new owner comes in, and there's already £20m there for player acquisition. If the new owner threw in £20m of their own money, we'd have £40m to spend, only £20m of which affects the FFP rules. Sell Benteke for £20m and then the manager has £60m for new players in the summer at a FFP cost of just £20m, which I believe is within the allowable limits

Where do people pull this kind of stuff from?

Read this as slowly or as quickly as you'd care to.

Randy Lerner has also invested tens, if not hundreds, of millions in Aston Villa Football Club.

In the same way wonga.com have invested tens, if not hundreds, of millions into the unemployed / low wage earners this Christmas?

So Randy Lerner will require around 463% return on his investment?

It's going to be a long wait :D

He buys the club for around £40 million and we've just had our two worst ever premiership seasons. How could anyone justify the club being worth anywhere near the amount of £250 million?

He paid Doug 64m for his share, then spent more money buying up the rest if the shares. He actually bought the club for close to 100m id estimate

Lerner paid £64m for the whole club not just Doug's shares. All the other money has come in as loans from Lerner family trusts as far as I understand.

It's about half and half, he has lent around £100m and given about £100m - last year he gave up all of the interest on those loans, effectively giving away another £20m. He hasn't spent it well, that much is certainly true, and for that he deserves some criticism, but maybe also some sympathy. This is a man who has wasted a lot of his own money on something we love. It would appear we hate him for his mistakes and ignore the generosity with which they were made.

• Like 3

Hahaha!  I knew it was actually a crap comparison but thought I'd go with it anyway!

The main point remains, though, that he hasn't truly "invested" - it's that he has put the money into the club in the form of low-interest loans.  People talk as if he's been some sort of generous benefactor when in reality he's just not.

Randy Lerner has also invested tens, if not hundreds, of millions in Aston Villa Football Club.

In the same way wonga.com have invested tens, if not hundreds, of millions into the unemployed / low wage earners this Christmas?

No, partly in the way of loans with absolutely no interest on them - effectively asking his family to take the hit; and partly by giving the money away to us.

Every day he bakes us a cake. He's a terrible, terrible cook. We spit his cake in his face. He comes back the next day with another cake. One day he hopes to sell the recipe to the cake for enough money to cover at least some of the cost of the ingredients. He is selfish.

OBE

I think the feeling that many of us have is that Lerner has not displayed any generosity. He has invested/gambled in a venture that has failed. He came in and expected CL football within 5 years hence the "5 year plan" we continually had rammed down our throats by Krulak. He gave up the ghost after 4 years after he saw what kind of money it would take to achive this when Man City's owners came in.

Call me sceptical but I'd say he's written off the interest on the loans because we aren't making any money so can't pay the loan, let alone interest.

it's clear that the wages have crippled him & look how we're paying for it now? People say we should buy experience etc-Who will come here for the wages we offer?

• Like 1

Not a fan but constantly defend him. I am confused.

I don't think that he is deserving of some of the vitriol that is poured upon him, and I will be forever grateful to him for dragging our club out of the Ellis mire.

Whether he stays or goes, in 5 years time even you will probably look back upon his tenure with a positive slant.

I don't get this.  We've had three years of relegation battles in a row, something that never happened in the Premier League under Ellis.  Lerner also let our finances get into such a state that even though the money is all owed to him, we've had to massively scale back spending, such that even if we do get back on an even keel financially, we'll have lost ground on a huge scale to all those teams around us, assuming that we even manage to stay in the top division.  I fear for the future under Lerner.  He's a shit businessman, and a shit football club owner, and I wish he'd **** off.

• Like 4

I have never seen why he deserves praise for waving interest on loans to something he owns outright. It would be like me spending 10k of my savings making renovations to my house and charging interest against it. I would in the end simply be charging interest to myself.

Edited by markavfc40

OBE

I think the feeling that many of us have is that Lerner has not displayed any generosity. He has invested/gambled in a venture that has failed. He came in and expected CL football within 5 years hence the "5 year plan" we continually had rammed down our throats by Krulak. He gave up the ghost after 4 years after he saw what kind of money it would take to achive this when Man City's owners came in.

Call me sceptical but I'd say he's written off the interest on the loans because we aren't making any money so can't pay the loan, let alone interest.

it's clear that the wages have crippled him & look how we're paying for it now? People say we should buy experience etc-Who will come here for the wages we offer?

He's been hugely generous to the tune of around £150m.

He's wasted just about every penny.

I think you have to take both of those things into account when you judge him.

I've got to be honest, the idea of a new owner is equally exciting and terrifying.

It could go horribly wrong, looking at what other clubs have had to put up with. At least Lerner isn't shitting all over the clubs history and tradition.

It could be argued by season in season out providing a squad of players not worthy of wearing the Aston Villa tops he is doing just that.

Every day he bakes us a cake. He's a terrible, terrible cook. We spit his cake in his face. He comes back the next day with another cake. One day he hopes to sell the recipe to the cake for enough money to cover at least some of the cost of the ingredients. He is selfish.

Once, years ago, he hinted that he was going to bake us an amazing cake (without ever actually saying it) but on the proviso that it would take time.  At first there were some nice smells coming from the kitchen, but then the sous chef flounced out once it was clear the quality of ingredients was going to suddenly and dramatically deteriorate.

Since then Lerner left the kitchen too (perhaps he can't stand the heat?), and left Faulkner in charge - competing in the Great British Bake Off with ingredients either bought from Lidl or won in school tombolas.

If he was generous, he would have given the club the money-He actually loaned us the money & claimed he was doing us a favour by only charging us a low rate of interest.

In the meantime, he's hijacked the proceeds of sales from players such as Young & Downing & diverted them into his own bank account.

He seems to think that this is the way forward and we are now a club who invest in unknowns in the hope of making huge profits by selling one or two on to ambitious teams

• Like 1

If close to the truth, and if HH Jr is anything like the old man was portrayed in that documentary of years ago, then we could have an HDE renaissance on our hands.

IMO a huge backward step, but then that would suit some very nicely indeed.

I would doubt either of the Hodgsons would ever be involved in Aston Villa in an ownership capacity. The info they shared was that Lerner would sell villa at a price - not that the Hodgsons were potential buyers 

Not a fan but constantly defend him. I am confused.

I don't think that he is deserving of some of the vitriol that is poured upon him, and I will be forever grateful to him for dragging our club out of the Ellis mire.

Whether he stays or goes, in 5 years time even you will probably look back upon his tenure with a positive slant.

I don't get this.  We've had three years of relegation battles in a row, something that never happened in the Premier League under Ellis.  Lerner also let our finances get into such a state that even though the money is all owed to him, we've had to massively scale back spending, such that even if we do get back on an even keel financially, we'll have lost ground on a huge scale to all those teams around us, assuming that we even manage to stay in the top division.  I fear for the future under Lerner.  He's a shit businessman, and a shit football club owner, and I wish he'd **** off.

Sadly this is true - hes got almost everything wrong. - and today marks the 1 year anniversary since he has been at villa park.

Once, years ago, he hinted that he was going to bake us an amazing cake (without ever actually saying it) but on the proviso that it would take time.  At first there were some nice smells coming from the kitchen, but then the sous chef flounced out once it was clear the quality of ingredients was going to suddenly and dramatically deteriorate.

Since then Lerner left the kitchen too (perhaps he can't stand the heat?), and left Faulkner in charge - competing in the Great British Bake Off with ingredients either bought from Lidl or won in school tombolas.

I think he must have cancelled the heating bill as well...