Aston Villa up for Sale.....at a price

smetrov

The appointment of McLeish, the appointment of Houllier, his total lack of communication ( can't remember the last time he was at a game? ) and the quotes he came out with when he took over the club which have now proven to be bollocks, as he looks after his wallet. 

I don't see what the appointment of Houllier has to do with this ? He had mostly the right ideas it was more the neanderthal players that we had who disrespected the club and fans at the time that caused the problems under Houllier. I'd still have loved to see what might have been that summer had Houllier stayed. Under him we actually did seem to have a plan.

We barely survived , only results against Arsenal and Liverpool in the last 2 games made our season look okay, games he wasn't even in charge for. Correct me if i'm wrong but I do seem to remember us having an awful spell around Christmas when we won 1 in god knows how many games and then we got bailed out by the Bent signing. I think he would have bought in better players than we have seen under Lambert ,but it was just a case of the wrong man at the wrong time which was the same with his successor. 

There is a difference between selling at a price and looking to offload.

If the former, then you set a price at which you would be willing to walk away. If the latter, it's market rates.

250m sounds like the former. That means 2 things:

- You wont get it for a penny less (see Barry, Benteke for reference)

- If you really want the club and can afford 250m, then it's not a barrier to ownership (that is, you obviously have a lot more money).

So we are basically up for sale to owners like Chelsea and Man City.

...with £20m going straight back to the club coffers, then the new owner comes in, and there's already £20m there for player acquisition. If the new owner threw in £20m of their own money, we'd have £40m to spend, only £20m of which affects the FFP rules. Sell Benteke for £20m and then the manager has £60m for new players in the summer at a FFP cost of just £20m, which I believe is within the allowable limits

Where do people pull this kind of stuff from?

£20m sitting 'in the club coffers' because the seller 'overvalues' the club? Benteke being sold for £20m and this doesn't count as an FFP thing (frankly why would we care about that as the closest we'd get to Europe at the moment is an FA Cup tie against Brighton)?

• Like 1

Until I hear it from Lerner's own mouth I won't be believing any of the hype about him selling the club for 250m.

You'll never hear it from Lerner's own mouth so you'll be waiting a long time for that. It'll be through a statement from 'club officials' or more likely Paul Faulkner.

I don't think anything has changed for what it's worth. I'm sure Lerner has been listening to offers for this place for the last season or two now, so unless this has come out because there's been some interest (which I doubt) it's just another day at Villa Park.

Edited by Ginko

Being sold to an Oil Shiek or the like would be equally depressing and exciting.

On the one hand i'd feel really dirty that the club I love is a willing and central participant in the ruining of football with money

On the other hand we might win trophies and be relevant and exciting and not have to put up with the utter garbage we have over the past few seasons and football is screwed anyway so why not enjoy the ride?

At the moment being bought out by the mega-rich would be an absolute dream

• Like 2

...with £20m going straight back to the club coffers, then the new owner comes in, and there's already £20m there for player acquisition. If the new owner threw in £20m of their own money, we'd have £40m to spend, only £20m of which affects the FFP rules. Sell Benteke for £20m and then the manager has £60m for new players in the summer at a FFP cost of just £20m, which I believe is within the allowable limits

Where do people pull this kind of stuff from?

£20m sitting 'in the club coffers' because the seller 'overvalues' the club? Benteke being sold for £20m and this doesn't count as an FFP thing (frankly why would we care about that as the closest we'd get to Europe at the moment is an FA Cup tie against Brighton)?

I have no idea what your post is even trying to communicate. Read the original again, slowly

Being sold to an Oil Shiek or the like would be equally depressing and exciting.

On the one hand i'd feel really dirty that the club I love is a willing and central participant in the ruining of football with money

On the other hand we might win trophies and be relevant and exciting and not have to put up with the utter garbage we have over the past few seasons and football is screwed anyway so why not enjoy the ride?

At the moment being bought out by the mega-rich would be an absolute dream

Have we not already contributed to that? Compared to most clubs in the country we have spent an absolute fortune. How much did we pay for Darren Bent again? How much have we spent since Lerner bought us?

It's just part of football I'm afraid. It's not right and it's soulless and depressing, but we have been a part to it for years now. It's a fairytale to think that we'll do things the right way when others haven't. Being bought by a multi-billionaire sugar daddy is the only way to get sustained success.

The only other option is to be bought out by someone with a bit more money than Lerner and become stable, but you won't be challenging for much then.

• Like 1

My other thought on the strategy of balancing the books is so that he could then remortgage the club, take all his money back and rack all the debt against the club a la the Glazier model.

I think it's highly unlikely that anyone would give him a substantial loan against the club

A person like Robert Kraft (owner of New England Patriots and MLS club Revolution) could be a decent fit. He could conceive of some sort of scenario whereby the Revolution could be a feeder club for Villa, and a club where young Villans can go cut their teeth at. He's a billionaire who took a crap NFL club and made them into the model franchise of the league, and he did it in under 10 years. He wouldn't get involved to be mediocre.

An Arab takeover in the style of Man City won't happen. There are now rules to stop this. Any person with money is unlikely to plough multi-millions into a club like ours, only to have his investment jeopardised because we're not allowed into the Champions League due to brazenly breaking the FFP rules.

The drawbridge has been pulled; the rules were implemented specifically to stop anyone disrupting the so called big boys.

I'm certain UEFA would love to make an example of any newly rich, plucky challenger who is suddenly running at huge losses in an attempt to disrupt the big boys. And I'm sure United, Chelsea, Barca and co would happily apply the right pressure to make sure UEFA do.

The rules are there for breaking as seen with the Etihad / Ci£y sponsorship deals. There is a way around everything. Therefore you're looking at someone like Red Bull or Turkish Airlines , stadium renaming etc etc.

It's the only way now if you want to be competitive.

Different club, different circumstances.

City can argue that deal is fair value because their profile is now large enough to justify such a huge sponsorship. They would probably pass any fairness test give they've recently won stuff of note and are established as a CL regular.

Would the same apply if we suddenly signed a huge deal with Turkish Airlines? We can barely get 40K through the door regularly. Our best finish for many a year is sixth. We haven't won anything of note for close to twenty years. A big sponsorship deal couldn't be passed off as 'fair'.