Why Paul Lambert should get the sack

Jonoridge91

Ferguson paid 20 million for RVP who is as injury prone, nobody blaming Fergie now he broke down again

I may be wrong, but I'm pretty sure Ferguson had other experienced strikers in the squad when he did.

So Fergie bought a striker when he already had strikers at the club?

Lambert must know a thing or two then eh?

Fergie bought better strikers than the ones he had at the club. Lambert hasn't ;)

Its a valid opinion but I'd argue that Holt is a much more reliable goal scorer than Gabby

2 years ago maybe but I can't see that now.

Gabby out wide is a bigger threat to Gabby through the middle or Albrighton out wide. I'd be tempted (on current form) to drop Weimann and play Albrighton RF

Well either way. I'd rather

Gabby.......weimman......albrighton

Than

Gabby.......Holt.......we I mm and albrighton

• Like 1

Ferguson paid 20 million for RVP who is as injury prone, nobody blaming Fergie now he broke down again

I may be wrong, but I'm pretty sure Ferguson had other experienced strikers in the squad when he did.

Yes. Because signing a player like Van Persie when you have a budget as big as you want is EXACTLY like borrowing Grant Holt when you've got spare change to fling around.

Congratulations on managing to compare Grant Holt to Van Persie. Most desperate attempt to big up a failing manager who has ran out of ideas yet :) I wonder what Man Utd fans would have thought about loaning Holt instead of signing Van Persie. Sounds like you might think the'd be delighted with it :)

Edited by Pilchard

Who's comparing the players John?  I'm actually defending the acquisition of another striker at our club when people suggest we dont need one because we already have strikers,  by showing that another manager (of the most successful club in the last 20 years) also got strikers in when he had others at the club.  Not sure I compared Holt to Van Persie,  pretty sure I compared buying players in specific positions.

But Hey ho I'm not going to say anything to convince you otherwise.

• Like 2

Fergie bought better strikers than the ones he had at the club. Lambert hasn't ;)

That Benteke lad isnt bad though ;)

Would the fans of any other Premiership team react any differently to the signing of Grant Holt?

the killer loan signing that will destroy club. Its an improvement on Simon Dawkins and Yacuoba Sylla in last window

As much as I don't rate Sylla he did improve us when he first came in. Grant Holt in his present condition isn't going to do that and therefore he certainly isn't a better signing than Sylla or Dawkins for that matter who has been doing well elsewhere.

Who's comparing the players John?  I'm actually defending the acquisition of another striker at our club when people suggest we dont need one because we already have strikers,  by showing that another manager (of the most successful club in the last 20 years) also got strikers in when he had others at the club.  Not sure I compared Holt to Van Persie,  pretty sure I compared buying players in specific positions.

But Hey ho I'm not going to say anything to convince you otherwise.

The issue with Holt isn't really that he's ANOTHER striker, it's that he's fat and rubbish.  If we signed Robin van Persie tomorrow, I'd be delighted.

• Like 2

Fair play, there's a lot of spoilt brats on here today!

If Holt can do a job, then it's fine by me! It's a loan deal that will expire when our back-up is fit.

Spoilt brat for not wanting a 33 year old struggling in the championship at their club?

Dressing room is lost. Lambert is signing his mates. Looking at his signings, 80% have been failures. But the buck for me stops at the coaching and the CEO. I see that villa bench full of backroom staff amd I have no idea what they are doing everyday, collecting a paycheck for doing the bare minimum a dour Scot expects. Villa are still broken since MON, who I think did some permenent damage to the board in his wake. Where is Kevin MacDonald? Where is anyone with passion? Remember when John Gregory called Ginola fat? Passion!

Edited by spoonman
  • Like 1

Let's wait and see who else comes in before calling Lambert a clearing in the woods over this transfer window's business. He's said he's looking at another couple of positions, so I'd expect 2 more at least. Possibly with some added short term loans to cover where needed.

Let's face it, compared to this time last year the table is looking a lot better and if we manage a repeat of the upturn in form like we did last year then we'll finish mid table which would be mission accomplished. A long way from the sack in my eyes.

• Like 2

Let's wait and see who else comes in before calling Lambert a clearing in the woods over this transfer window's business. He's said he's looking at another couple of positions, so I'd expect 2 more at least. Possibly with some added short term loans to cover where needed.

Let's face it, compared to this time last year the table is looking a lot better and if we manage a repeat of the upturn in form like we did last year then we'll finish mid table which would be mission accomplished. A long way from the sack in my eyes.

Yes but lets face it the brand of football and tactics are much worse to look at this season for some reason. I realise we will not be a top team again in my lifetime but I would like to see us play nice football, we did it last season, it was the one reason we could condone our poor league position last season but this seasons football has been on a par with McLeish if not worse.

Got less points than mcleish had at this point in the season, out the cup unlike McLeish at this point and signing a player that sums up the style of play he wants to play.

I'm seeing little evidence of what good is going to come from having Lambert in charge.

That's such a pointless stat.

Yep, why even compare to McLeish when both managers are working under completely different conditions. We've even stopped comparing this season to last season as the stats show an improvement.

Got less points than mcleish had at this point in the season, out the cup unlike McLeish at this point and signing a player that sums up the style of play he wants to play.

I'm seeing little evidence of what good is going to come from having Lambert in charge.

That's such a pointless stat.

How is it pointless? There are a lot of posters on here that keep pointing out that we have more points than last year and we are mid-table.

We will see at the end of the season I suppose?

Because the points total at the end of the season is what matters.

Yes but lets face it the brand of football and tactics are much worse to look at this season for some reason. I realise we will not be a top team again in my lifetime but I would like to see us play nice football, we did it last season, it was the one reason we could condone our poor league position last season but this seasons football has been on a par with McLeish if not worse.

We might do it again this year, I remember last year and some of the football before the "Newcastle moment" was dire. Not McLeish dire though, and neither has the football been McLeish dire this season for me. Negative, yes, in the sense that it's not positive attacking and free flowing. Counter attacking, yes, but in so doing we have more points on the board than last year.

For me, the difference is that McLeish had a decent start and got worse and worse and worse. Lambert turned us around last year at this sort of time in the season. We all thought we'd see the open football from the back end of last season this year too, instead he's decided to risk things a lot less, it's not pretty but it has worked in the sense that the table looks a hell of a lot better and we've let in 18 (eighteen) fewer goals. Now, if Lambert can get a couple more players in, he might feel we can build on the more solid defense and strike more of a balance between the openness of last season and the relative defensive tightness of this.

If he can manage that, we'll be fine this year and bank some more TV money in the process. Like last year, some of us have faith that he can turn it around and some of us are calling for him to go. Unlike last year, we're not conceding 15 goals in 3 games without reply, in the bottom 3 and looking hopelessy at relegation.