What you eatin' there then?

chrisp65

26 minutes ago, Ikantcpell said:

I would rather eat my own shit then eat at macdonalds.

Advertise that on a dating site, who knows what kind of financial opportunties might open up to you? 

Edited by Michelsen
Cpelling
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Currently a massive blizzard hitting New England so I decided to get festive and cook something I've never tried before: Shakshouka, a rustic N. African dish-

One yellow onion, 2 cloves of garlic, chopped and sauteed with a teaspoon of paprika in olive oil.

4 chopped tomatoes

Stirred and broken down into a sauce, salt and pepper

Tablespoon of harissa paste.

4 eggs cracked right into the pan, poached

Chopped black olives and feta cheese (I added the cheese to the recipe)

Fresh chopped cilantro

Soooooo good. You can make this for breakfast or lunch. Really easy to make cuz it's all in one pan. Super healthy too.

Edited by maqroll
  • Like 1

56 minutes ago, maqroll said:

Currently a massive blizzard hitting New England so I decided to get festive and cook something I've never tried before: Shakshouka, a rustic N. African dish-

I sometimes make a version of that called Chachouka in the UK (same thing I guess, Moroccan dish)

Ingredients
•2 tbsp olive oil
•1 tsp cumin seeds
•1 large onion, thinly sliced
•1 clove garlic, finely chopped
•½ tsp hot smoked paprika
•2 pinches saffron
•6 largish ripe tomatoes, peeled and roughly chopped
•1 each red, yellow and orange Ramiro peppers, chopped
•1 Poblano chilli, chopped
•1 small red bell pepper, chopped
•Salt and freshly ground black pepper
•4 eggs
Method
1.Heat the olive oil in a large, preferably ovenproof, frying pan over a medium heat. Add the cumin seeds and let them fry gently for a couple of minutes. Add the onion and cook gently for 8–10 minutes, or until soft and golden.
2.Add the garlic and peppers and continue to cook over a low heat for at least 20 minutes, stirring often, until the peppers are soft and wilted. Add the paprika, crumble in the saffron, then add the tomatoes with their juice and some salt and pepper. Cook gently, stirring from time to time, for 10–15 minutes. Preheat the oven to 180°C/Gas Mark 4.
3.Taste the mixture and adjust the seasoning if necessary. If your frying pan isn’t ovenproof, transfer the mixture to a baking dish. Make 4 hollows in the surface and carefully break an egg into each one. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Bake for 10–12 minutes, until the egg white is set and the yolk still runny.

I don't really stick to the recipe, that closely, but yeah a great breakfast.

• Like 1

Great Jamaican place near us.  Went tonight and ordered starters and mains, noticed people who had arrived later than us getting their food while we were still waiting.  I pointed out that we had been waiting a long time,  staff apologetic, offered us a drink on the house.

Soon after, the main course came, but no starter.  We told them, didn't make a big fuss, said we would just have the mains since they had arrived, staff greatly embarrassed and told us the meal was on the house.  Asked if we wanted the starters as well, but in fact the mains were enough food.

Left them a tip, they were happy that they had resolved it and that we would be back, we were happy with a decent free meal.

Slightly made up for having to pay £210 to get my car out of the car pound because the council, having issued reminders to renew the residents' parking permit every year for at least the last 20 years, decided to discontinue this simple service but not to say that they were doing so, meaning my car got ticketed and lifted as I hadn't noticed it had expired.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Xela said:

Chicken pathia, garlic nan and fried rice from the 'Raj Mahal' in Erdington

Excellent. 

Erdo - that's a bit out of your way isn't it ?

6 hours ago, mottaloo said:

Erdo - that's a bit out of your way isn't it ?

Went to see the folks (Walmley) so not too far from them. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 22/02/2018 at 19:53, ferguson1 said:

I totally get you mate, but wanted to see what the fuss was about with the Grand Mac.  We only tend to have it now if the kids insist on it and we're hungry.  I also totally get the hungry bit!  

I'll put it out there, the Big Mac is the most overrated burger of all time.

It's shit.

• Like 2

On 16/03/2018 at 22:22, peterms said:

Great Jamaican place near us.  Went tonight and ordered starters and mains, noticed people who had arrived later than us getting their food while we were still waiting.  I pointed out that we had been waiting a long time,  staff apologetic, offered us a drink on the house.

Soon after, the main course came, but no starter.  We told them, didn't make a big fuss, said we would just have the mains since they had arrived, staff greatly embarrassed and told us the meal was on the house.  Asked if we wanted the starters as well, but in fact the mains were enough food.

Left them a tip, they were happy that they had resolved it and that we would be back, we were happy with a decent free meal.

I always say that **** ups and mistakes at restaurants/hotels etc happen, and the real way to judge a place is how they deal with the mistakes.

(obviously if you go somewhere and they're always fuckign up then that's different!)

• 2 weeks later...

Island inn, Kenrick way west brom. Large mixed grill, chips, naan, chilli naan, separate fish pakoras, saag paneer....also had (but out of shot), masala chips, lamb madras. 

Verdict : don't judge a place by it's appearance, location off a traffic island, or crappy little car park. The food was fresh, hot, plentiful and good price between 3 of us.

Also, double vodka and lemonade £3.40.

Well worth a visit, Mr @Xela :D

20180428_192537.jpg

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, mottaloo said:

Island inn, Kenrick way west brom. Large mixed grill, chips, naan, chilli naan, separate fish pakoras, saag paneer....also had (but out of shot), masala chips, lamb madras. 

Verdict : don't judge a place by it's appearance, location off a traffic island, or crappy little car park. The food was fresh, hot, plentiful and good price between 3 of us.

Also, double vodka and lemonade £3.40.

Well worth a visit, Mr @Xela :D

20180428_192537.jpg

Just for yourself mate?! :P

A new one to add to the list is the Copper Fox in Harborne. Not been myself but few people I know have and they rate it highly. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Xela said:

Just for yourself mate?! :P

A new one to add to the list is the Copper Fox in Harborne. Not been myself but few people I know have and they rate it highly. 

A desi pub in harborne ? Hmm interesting ! Might just check it out.

Every time we go, we say we won't have a grill but will focus on the curries instead.....but we always give in to a large portion of sizzling meat ;)

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, mottaloo said:

A desi pub in harborne ? Hmm interesting ! Might just check it out.

Every time we go, we say we won't have a grill but will focus on the curries instead.....but we always give in to a large portion of sizzling meat ;)

On the Quinton Road. Pub used to be called the Hillyfields?

• Thanks 1

Â