You are Paul Lambert...

Dodgyknees

OGS on his way to West Brom. Wonder if he regrets turning us down now. Least we got Lambert. Think he was the better of the two

Lambert was always number one choice. Lerner would have found it hard to break his number one rule "premiership experience" I imagine.

Edited by GENTLEMAN

OGS on his way to West Brom. Wonder if he regrets turning us down now. Least we got Lambert. Think he was the better of the two

Lambert was always number one choice. Lerner would have found it hard to break his number one rule "premiership experience" I imagine.

Was he. I always thought it was OGS and he decided to stay put

Was he. I always thought it was OGS and he decided to stay put

He was a contender but OGS's secret interview was leaked out on VT. I doubt Lerner would have chose OGS over Lambert based partly on the reason above.

If I was Lambert, I'd get Lowton and Delph on the corners and tell them to put it in with a bit of spunk and stop this floaty shit.

Total garbage that.

Villa scored 7 goals from corners last year, around 5th in the league. They also had the fifth fewest corners. So villa were one of the most effective sides at converting corners.

I imagine we would be top then if we put some decent deliveries in rather than heading practice for defences we do.

I've never ever seen a team in world football put corners in like us consistently, it's incomprehensible and wrong.

If I was Lambert, I'd get Lowton and Delph on the corners and tell them to put it in with a bit of spunk and stop this floaty shit.

Total garbage that.

Villa scored 7 goals from corners last year, around 5th in the league. They also had the fifth fewest corners. So villa were one of the most effective sides at converting corners.

This seems like a strawman stat to me. How many of those were directly from the corner? I count two last season - Reading and Sunderland.

Total garbage that.

Where do you get your stats from?

The figures I have seen from statsbomb show us as 7th =( with Sunderland) but there was only 3 goals difference between 10 clubs (from  Man C with 8 to Reading with 5) so the differences in position here are marginal.

Also our corner conversion rate was almost identical to Sunderland's and just slightly worse than West Brom's, so one is tempted to say "so what?".

I'm going to try and do this relatively seriously. This is strictly what I would do in January, IF we had a fully fit squad IF we had that money. Taking injuries into account, I would do something different. If this was the summer window, I would do something different.

1) Sell or loan at least 1 of Given or Hutton, freeing up a little more wages.

2) Buy the following:

Attacking midfield - Jens Toornstra (24, Utrecht) - £5.5m. £20k/week.

Left back - Danilo D'Ambrosio (25, Torino) - £1m (contract up in summer). £15k/week.

Defensive midfield - McDonald Mariga (26, Inter) - £2m (contract up in summer). £20k/week (that's actually a pay rise).

Net Spend - £8.5m transfers. £55k/week minus whatever we can reduce from Hutton or Given or both.

Guzan

Lowton Okore Vlaar D'Ambrosio

Mariga Delph

N'Zogbia Toornstra Agbonlahor

Benteke

Bench: Steer Bacuna Clark Westwood Gardner Weimann Kozak

Reserve: Watkins Baker Herd Donacien Luna KEA Tonev Albrighton Bowery Robinson

Loan Premier League: Given/Hutton(?) Ireland Bent

Loan Championship: Bennett Stevens Sylla Grealish Carruthers Graham Delfouneso Helenius

Loan League 1: Johnson Burke

Loan League 2: Siegrist

• Like 2

OGS didnt turn us down and neither did Martinez. They were never offered the job. We offered it to Lambert and he accepted.

OGS and Martinez seem very good fellows and managers (I was an OGS booster) but the truth is Lerner had Lambert as his first choice and he got his man.

Seems like a lot of effort to fly to Norway for somebody who isn't your number one choice.

Of course he was our number 1 choice. I'd guess he turned us down when he was informed of our pitiful transfer budget and our YTS style wage structure. Same with Martinez on the 2 occasions we tried to get him as well.

But yeah let's carry on pretending we really didn't want OGS even after sending a private jet to his garden to pick him up and fly him over.

• Like 1

Seems like a lot of effort to fly to Norway for somebody who isn't your number one choice.

Of course he was our number 1 choice. I'd guess he turned us down when he was informed of our pitiful transfer budget and our YTS style wage structure. Same with Martinez on the 2 occasions we tried to get him as well.

But yeah let's carry on pretending we really didn't want OGS even after sending a private jet to his garden to pick him up and fly him over.

It was leaked out on VT. There could have been more secretive interviews that the fans were not aware of. All we know is OGS was a contender for the job.

It was leaked out on VT. There could have been more secretive interviews that the fans were not aware of. All we know is OGS was a contender for the job.

If you own a multi-million pound company and plan to invest £20m+ into transfer fees etc within the following month or two, then of course you're going to make a lot of effort choosing who to manage the forefront of said company.

I don't think flying to Norway has any meaning or relevance as to how high up the 'list' OGS was.

Edited by samjp26
  • Like 3

If you own a multi-million pound company and plan to invest £20m+ into transfer fees etc within the following month or two, then of course you're going to make a lot of effort choosing who to manage the forefront of said company.

I don't think flying to Norway has any meaning or relevance as to how high up the 'list' OGS was.

Any excuse to fly to Norway tbf. Have you SEEN their women???

• Like 3

I do.

Firstly, the owner didn't fly to Norway, he sent his jet to pick OGS up, something that never happened before or since.

I think that they sent the jet to get their man, but he got pressure from the owner of Molde and that was that.

• Like 1

OGS and Martinez were invited to be interviewed for the Villa job - neither were offered the job and I'm sure they would have been aware of other candidates being sounded out for the role.  You can't be offered the job if you haven't been formally interviewed.  The same applies to Martinez and Liverpool: he was asked if he wanted to be formally interviewed for the post and he declined.

Â