You are Paul Lambert...

Dodgyknees

I don't trust Lambert in the transfer market after some of the signings he has made.

This is certainly the worst Villa side I have ever seen, built by the manager. I had great hopes for Lambert, and just about stood by him after the debacle that was last season. Most chairmen would have given him the boot after the shambles in the league cup. Next two games are crucial.

I never wanted lambert, that day at Norwich when plenty were singing for him was cringeworthy. However he's here and I will not boo him and will support him as much as I can within reason. Things need to improve though, not just result wise but entertainment wise. Supporting villa through thick and thin I get, I've done it for 35 years now, but if you start to detect a lack of effort from the players then that is a managerial issue that has to be corrected.

• Like 1

I seem to have touched a nerve, which I apologise for. I'm trying to understand decisions, why were are so poor at the moment and gain some hope through you, a Lambert confidante.

Yes, his fault vlaar gets injured and same for okore....who u keep forgetting to mention. The two guys u keep moaning about wouldn't play if they we're fit but once again u forget that. 

Okore. The player who scored a ridiculous own goal in the Malaga game? We don't know if he's any good or not. What we do know is that he isn't EXPERIENCED. That's the word I keep using. That's what we needed. And I know it's coming to finance again, but perhaps we could have used the Helenuis cash with one of the other deals to bring someone in, for example. I appreciate it's not just that easy - but it's frustrating to see attacking players continue to be brought in within a top heavy squad when the defence is abysmal.

So u don't want 3 in the middle but also don't want 2. 

Where have I said that? I've said that the middle is weak with three - and over run in every single game - and it's my belief that reducing that to two won't help with that. You obviously disagree. Why?  

Look at the league table and look at what all those teams below villa spent.

Ignoring the insults (again).....That league table in which we are amongst a number of teams only a couple of games away from the relegation zone? You said wait until the end of January - I think we'll be a lot lower down the league by then, if we continue in this 'rich' vein of form. Boring? Boring is the constant return about money spent.  Boring is the football we are playing. He's had £40million in a season and a bit according to the accounts hasn't he? Or are the accounts wrong? And for that we've had Benteke - so far a one season wonder, Vlaar who had a history of injury problems and spent half the time injured, and the rest who have flitted their way in and out of the team. Including Tonev, Bennett, Bowery Helenius - the first two are dross, and the latter a waste of money.

They may not cost much money, but when they are a huge part of your small budget - it is a disaster.

Honestly, u are complaining at the players aren't allowed in a corridor where offices are at the training ground. Seriously. Is that what you are giving it. Ffs 

No I'm not, read it again. I said it was a story I'd been told by someone and questioned myself, but would make sense when you look at the team performances. I couldn't care less where the players are allowed. It's none of my business. I just want a winning team.

Lambert was my number 1 choice for the Villa job. I saw Norwich demolish Liverpool at Anfield early on in the season and with McLeish as manager knew it was only a matter of time and that he was who I wanted. I liked the passion, the style of play, the attacking intent. And the fact they went to control the game and did so. I want him to succeed at Villa. But we don't do any of that, and the team has gone backwards since the summer. Where has that attacking play from last year gone?

Point being this - against Stoke you mentioned Herd, Baker and Clark in the back line to try to cope with 'What Stoke are good at' despite Stoke playing the ball on the floor this year. Yet the Lambert I saw at Stoke, and even at the end of last year was 'Stuff the opposition, we're going to do what we're good at'. But we haven't seen that this year. Why?

I'm sorry if you feel insulted by the criticism, because talking to you is a chance to try and understand the processes at the club with decisions that look odd - and thats why its disappointing to see insults in your replies to points made instead of a discussion.

Edited by Pilchard

Quite honestly I don't know what to believe anymore. Whichever you look at it we are in shit street. We have a manager who is struggling to make things click and an owner who appears not to give a flying **** as long as we are run on a shoestring.

I am and have been critical of lambert, he took on the job knowing the constraints and acquiesced to Lerner wishes to make huge cuts, work with little investment and a unreasonable cap on wages

However I also accept he has been unlucky with injuries to key defenders, Benteke's loss of form and wanted to bring in key players who were blocked etc

But having read a little snippet in the Independent I now also believe PL took on a job that few others would I.e. neither Martinez and OGS** would accept so to a degree i suppose he deserves some credit for accepting the poisoned chalice.

**maybe it was common knowledge but according to an article in the Independent today concerning the Cardiff situation, OGS may be in the frame but previously "was persuaded by Ferguson to reject Aston Villa's approaches after the dismissal of Alex McLeish" - if this is true it would suggest that Ferguson knew Lerner was in a mess, about to make cuts etc and that OGS's career could be damaged if he took on the VIlla job. Whatever we think about Ferguson, we know that Lerner definitely consulted him at times in the past.

The fundamental cause of our problems is Lerner but we can do absolutely nothing about it and I am as guilty as many others in attacking lambert, albeit justifiably at times IMHO.

I am still very unsure about PL, but I have absolutely no doubt that it is our invisible owner who has totally ****** AVFC and that whoever took on the job was bound to fail.

I have come to conclusion that we may have to be relegated to make Lerner realise that it is impossible to compete in the Premiership using the business model he has demanded.

Edited by MikeMcKenna
  • Like 1

Problem with getting that experience then becomes wages. I keep saying the wages all these new guys earn is ridiculously low. Experience costs more. What if lambert once again came out and said he couldn't afford a Gareth Barry of players of that ilk and experience so maybe he needs to remind everyone of that in the press again?

Like a suggested someone better on the ball helps you dictate the game, forces opposing midfield back and allows teammates more space. I agree a more physical player would make a difference just like wanyama at Southampton. You not think, being good pals with Neil Lennon, lambert wouldn't have been tipped off about him? Yet couldn't act upon it. Manager wants a creative player in the hope the defensive midfielder can then be addressed in summer.

I dispute that £40m statement and I think u will see the manager saying that very very soon.

Fair enough maybe I was a bit harsh but as I said right now league table wise it's not the worst. Yes performances should be better but this was always going to be another difficult season but I repeat I don't think it will be as bad as last season.

HH, i genuinely have to ask you what's going on with the lack of player movement? It's always been an issue, but it's getting so bad now that we're resorting to throwing the ball back to the opposition because we've got nobody moving any more. We can look for more money for signings til the cows come home, but I don't believe for a second that even Messi would do us any good at the moment if nobody is willing to engage their brains on the pitch and actually try to get into space. I assume this is something that Paul has noticed, but is it down to the players just not wanting the ball on match day and trying to hide away, or is it because, like someone suggested earlier this week, they're just a bit stupid in terms of footballing intelligence, or what is it?

It's killing us

Thanks HH. Just to add some meat to the bone here, I have a friend who is a close relative to Gareth Barry . He is on ridiculous money at City (116k a week approx). There was no way he was ever coming back to villa. He's still got his place in ullenhall but Everton are buying him next month so forget about a sentimental return from GB.. Not happening.

I dispute that £40m statement and I think u will see the manager saying that very very soon.

That we spent £21.7m last season is an indisputable fact.  We'll see by the end of February what we spent this season, but I'm going to stick my neck out and say that £43m will be very close to the actual verified amount for the two years.

I don't trust Lambert in the transfer market after some of the signings he has made.

This is certainly the worst Villa side I have ever seen, built by the manager. I had great hopes for Lambert, and just about stood by him after the debacle that was last season. Most chairmen would have given him the boot after the shambles in the league cup. Next two games are crucial.

I'm not sure whether this could be construed as having a go at Lambert, Lerner or both but this Villa side is without any doubts the worst I have ever seen. Yesterday's performance was absolutely predictable and the kind of toothless display I've become accustomed to.

I would love to know the IQ's of our players. I've said this for the last few years now, we are not clever with the ball at our feet. Nothing seems easy or simple. They try to over-complicate stuff at times and at others they just do nothing.

I would dare to say that perhaps complaining about lack of funds won't be a great thing to do for Lambert. We know he hasn't had a lot to spend. We've seen it with our eyes, but we've also seen that it has, in quite a few cases been spent in a poor manner. It'd be one step away from O'Leary often telling us that 'its just a young team'.

Want I'd like to hear at least, is what he's doing to sort out the shite performances, and to cut the crap about not deserving to lose after every game.

• Like 1

I would love to know the IQ's of our players. I've said this for the last few years now, we are not clever with the ball at our feet. Nothing seems easy or simple. They try to over-complicate stuff at times and at others they just do nothing.

Not sure why their IQ would be relevant.  Some of the best players in the country (eg Wayne Rooney, John Terry and Ashley Cole) are clearly as thick as pigshit.

I would dare to say that perhaps complaining about lack of funds won't be a great thing to do for Lambert. We know he hasn't had a lot to spend. We've seen it with our eyes, but we've also seen that it has, in quite a few cases been spent in a poor manner. It'd be one step away from O'Leary often telling us that 'its just a young team'.

Want I'd like to hear at least, is what he's doing to sort out the shite performances, and to cut the crap about not deserving to lose after every game.

I agree to a great extent. Clearly he is under massive constraints but if the quality of the squad is as poor as many of us believe he may not be able to turn the pigs ear into a silk purse with any amount of crap cutting.

If he comes out and complains about lack of funds it will be seen by the media and fans as a challenge to Lerner. While many may sympathise many others will see it as a desperate plea for support under intolerable circumstances almost akin to when Gregory had a go at Ellis.

I think he is on a wing and a prayer now!

He can't complain about the lack of funds..... he knew the rules when he took the job. He is still seemingly identifying players he knows he can't afford (sorry, the owner won't pay for) why?

HH keeps telling us he sees players we can't have so why bother..... or is he just trying to alert us, not that we need it, that the owner is holding the whole thing up with his ridiculous strategy?

Yes Okore was due to be a regular but that does not alater the fact he lacks experience at this level and Vlaar is injury prone - well ducked HH :)

Anyway, until the owner fronts up we can whinge and moan as much as we like but change nothing - no £ protests planned are there?

To be honest all this talk of wage cutting further shows up  Randy and PF and their lack of forward planning.We all know we spent too much on wages under MON but at that time we were looking to get into the top 4 ,but to Houllier and McLiesh were allowed to continue handing out obscene amounts on wages.

We now find ourselves in a position where practically every other team in the league apparently can spend more than us on wages.We have been a prem league club since it's inception and yet we can't afford to buy players from other Prem league teams as the wages are too high ..

It's good that now there is a long term plan but some short term thinking needs to be considered as well as the now annual fight to stay in the league surely we must be losing income from merchandising/sponsorship from the poor performances on the pitch. 

Â