You are Paul Lambert...

Dodgyknees

Don't think Barry went to the club offering the most money, he went to the club he wanted to play for.

some Villa supporter that knows Barry claimed we were his #1 choice but there was no interest from Lambert

Heard this a few times on various podcasts and stuff.

Don't think Barry went to the club offering the most money, he went to the club he wanted to play for.

some Villa supporter that knows Barry claimed we were his #1 choice but there was no interest from Lambert

And some Villa supporter that knows Lambert claimed he was interested in Barry but there was no room in the budget for him.

Which, of course, would have been Lambert's choice. He was given a budget and managed it accordingly. In his opinion, for example, signing Tonev and Helenius may have been more important than signing an experienced, quality midfielder on loan. That was his judgement as manager of Aston Villa, and he will presumably reap the praise or otherwise for his decision.

Transfer bizzzz.  ;)

Budget:           10M    

------------------------

Sell Benteke +20M 

Sell Bennett  + 1.5M   

Loan Bowery

Loan Westwood

------------------------

New budget:   31.5 M    

Buy:    Kiyotake         9M  

Buy:    Mitroglou        9M 

Loan:  Essien    

Loan:  LB             

=                             18M

Guzan

Lowton   Vlaar    Okore    Luna/New LB

Essien             Delph 

Kiyotake

Gabby                      Tonev

Mitroglou

But hey...that's just me  :P

Edited by LxYoungAVFC

Slightly off topic but as there isn't a Paul Lambert thread: It is worth reading the highest rated coments on the BBC articles on AVB and managers being sacked at the mo. They make you think. Most of the footballing world is in agreement that the two things that bring you success are 1) stability and keeping you manager for YEARS (not just 2 or 3) OR 2) an absolute ton of cash.

We don't have a ton of cash. Lets just keep hold of Lambert for a couple of years. What do we even have to lose? We suck and we sucked before he was here. Until Lerner goes our only hope of success is complete stability. You don't get success in any other business by changing the personnel every year and why should football be any different?

You don't achieve success by keeping ineffectual staff, either.

No big earners on the books when were in the championship next season which is where we might be if we don't add quality to this current squad we can all see it

I think Palace, Sunderland, Cardiff, West Ham, Fulham, Norwich, West Brom and Stoke might have something to say about that.  We are no great shakes but there is some serious shit in that lot.  There are definitely 3 worse teams.  

Anyway, in response to the OP, I think Lambert is on the right track so i would carry on with the project as it is.  

People calling for Benteke to be sold need to consider the very real possibility that nobody would actually want to buy him, at least not for the kind of money that would make it viable to sell.  Also, I think he is the best player at the club by some distance and just needs a goal or two to rediscover the form that saw him devastate defenders last season.  All strikers have barren spells and quite often they coincide with a downturn in results for the club they play for. He will be back and we will be ok.

Slightly off topic but as there isn't a Paul Lambert thread: It is worth reading the highest rated coments on the BBC articles on AVB and managers being sacked at the mo. They make you think. Most of the footballing world is in agreement that the two things that bring you success are 1) stability and keeping you manager for YEARS (not just 2 or 3) OR 2) an absolute ton of cash.

We don't have a ton of cash. Lets just keep hold of Lambert for a couple of years. What do we even have to lose? We suck and we sucked before he was here. Until Lerner goes our only hope of success is complete stability. You don't get success in any other business by changing the personnel every year and why should football be any different?

You don't achieve success by keeping ineffectual staff, either.

But the point is that you don't know if staff are ineffectual until you've had them for a few years. It takes ages for anyone in any business to have an impact. The same applies to Governments etc. 

Because the mentality amongst fans is that if you don't get it done in 18 months, you're out.

It's sad.

Indeed, and what is it exactly that people expect?  What more could we do with the resources we have available? We are a mid table club with a mid table budget and the best we could push for is 7th with a bit of luck and a few more signings but that is only 4 places above where we are now!  We cannot compete financially with the top 6. Sack the manager in attempt to get us 4 places higher?  Madness, absolute madness,

Edited by One For The Road

Love all of the short term plans. Get a bunch of older players with little resell value in 3 years on high wages. Have something nice to look at for a little bit and get seventh a couple times.

What could possibly ever go wrong?

• Like 1

Love all of the short term plans. Get a bunch of older players with little resell value in 3 years on high wages. Have something nice to look at for a little bit and get seventh a couple times.

As I've said before, lurching from one extreme to the other isn't the way forward either.  The days of Habib Beye on £45K a week at the age of 31 were madness of course, but so is taking a load of lower league kids and expecting them to be an effective Premier League outfit.

I think the move towards being more self-sustaining is generally a good one, but it has been done too quickly, and nearly caused even more damage by getting us relegated last year.  It also ignores the fact there is the possibility of making big money by spending big in the first place, eg Downing, Young and Milner.  If we were to sell Benteke now, even in his current poor form we'd easily get 2-3 times what we paid for him, but with others like KEA, Sylla and Bennett, I doubt we'd even get our money back.

• Like 1

As I've said before, lurching from one extreme to the other isn't the way forward either. The days of Habib Beye on £45K a week at the age of 31 were madness of course, but so is taking a load of lower league kids and expecting them to be an effective Premier League outfit.

I think the move towards being more self-sustaining is generally a good one, but it has been done too quickly, and nearly caused even more damage by getting us relegated last year. It also ignores the fact there is the possibility of making big money by spending big in the first place, eg Downing, Young and Milner. If we were to sell Benteke now, even in his current poor form we'd easily get 2-3 times what we paid for him, but with others like KEA, Sylla and Bennett, I doubt we'd even get our money back.

Understandable sentiment but we will have to disagree over the timeline. I'd rather bottom out and clean slate last year and go through all the troubles early instead of a half in/half out approach.

If we were to sell Benteke now, even in his current poor form we'd easily get 2-3 times what we paid for him, but with others like KEA, Sylla and Bennett, I doubt we'd even get our money back.

But the players you have mentioned (excluding Benteke) are on low wages and two of them are squad players currently. They are not crippling the club financially compared with the likes of Steve Sidwell and Luke Young (who were rarely used under MON); and they are young enough to develop into decent players given their age.

Edited by GENTLEMAN
  • Like 1

Not true. I know one of the family. Ultimately Everton contributed heavily to his £116k a week deal and have made him a big offer to stay permanently which has been accepted and will see his career out probably. Gareth is from Brighton and is a spurs fan, whilst he's always got thoughts for villa he's not a villa fan and he's not exactly owing us anything.

Â