You are Paul Lambert...

Dodgyknees

So people are now making things up as means to slate Lambert?

Incredible.

What's new?

Suppose so, but its pathetic isn't it? Especially taking into account our current position and also the finance/restructure policies that Lambert is adhering to.  

Don't think Barry went to the club offering the most money, he went to the club he wanted to play for.

some Villa supporter that knows Barry claimed we were his #1 choice but there was no interest from Lambert

Not true. I know one of the family. Ultimately Everton contributed heavily to his £116k a week deal and have made him a big offer to stay permanently which has been accepted and will see his career out probably. Gareth is from Brighton and is a spurs fan, whilst he's always got thoughts for villa he's not a villa fan and he's not exactly owing us anything.

I'd love to know what 'contributed heavily' means.

If that is Barry's deal, and Everton pay it all, then they are paying just short of £6m for the period of the loan.

Added to that they are paying a fee of around £2m to loan Lukaku, plus his wages, which are probably relatively modest (£40k per week?), so another £2m.

£10m to loan 2 players for one season by Everton. I just don't buy it.

Don't think Barry went to the club offering the most money, he went to the club he wanted to play for.

some Villa supporter that knows Barry claimed we were his #1 choice but there was no interest from Lambert

Not true. I know one of the family. Ultimately Everton contributed heavily to his £116k a week deal and have made him a big offer to stay permanently which has been accepted and will see his career out probably. Gareth is from Brighton and is a spurs fan, whilst he's always got thoughts for villa he's not a villa fan and he's not exactly owing us anything.

I'd love to know what 'contributed heavily' means.

If that is Barry's deal, and Everton pay it all, then they are paying just short of £6m for the period of the loan.

Added to that they are paying a fee of around £2m to loan Lukaku, plus his wages, which are probably relatively modest (£40k per week?), so another £2m.

£10m to loan 2 players for one season by Everton. I just don't buy it.

£10m was exactly the figure quoted in a general article on the value of loans versus outright purchases. It was linked into the Lambert thread (I think), a couple of weeks back.

Maybe Martinez will pull it off but to me it looks like a whole heap of trouble coming at the end of this season - 3 of your best players are loanees, Baines probably wants out, a couple of other players are reaching their sell-by date and the club is not reknowned for splashing the cash. I think and hope that Everton will be back down with a bump next season

Personally, although I wish that Barry had seen out his whole career here, and would have finished as a legend, I would rather spend the kind of money that a one season loan would cost on someone who will be in the team for some years to come

My belief is that Lerner feels we have just enough to stay clear of a relegation dogfight and will save his money, now and in January. My hope is that he will then loosen the pursestrings in the close season and LAmbert will be able to sign the Sissoko, Kiyotake-type players that so far have been out of his price range

If I was Lambert, I'd get Lowton and Delph on the corners and tell them to put it in with a bit of spunk and stop this floaty shit.

Total garbage that.

Edited by Tomaszk
  • Like 2

So people are now making things up as means to slate Lambert?

Incredible.

I must have missed something. What are people "making up"?

I'm on about the comments below (I'm not directly saying Ulver or El-Reacho are making it up). Hairyhands said Lambert wanted Barry but couldn't afford it and Electric Avenue's comment about the hefty price-tag backed that up. Just seems like stuff being made up, by whom exactly I don't know, as a means to slate Lambert with..

Heard this a few times on various podcasts and stuff.

Because the mentality amongst fans is that if you don't get it done in 18 months, you're out.

It's sad.

Indeed, and what is it exactly that people expect? What more could we do with the resources we have available? We are a mid table club with a mid table budget and the best we could push for is 7th with a bit of luck and a few more signings but that is only 4 places above where we are now! We cannot compete financially with the top 6. Sack the manager in attempt to get us 4 places higher? Madness, absolute madness,

Villa don't have a midtable budget though.

If I was Lambert, I'd get Lowton and Delph on the corners and tell them to put it in with a bit of spunk and stop this floaty shit.

Total garbage that.

Villa scored 7 goals from corners last year, around 5th in the league. They also had the fifth fewest corners. So villa were one of the most effective sides at converting corners.

• Like 1

Lambert's Norwich side were very proficient from set-plays too.

One example, pretty legendary play for Norwich now I'd imagine. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KDM88n9ZHk0

Edit: I can't figure out how to get the video to show up on the villa talk page for some reason, I forget how to do that. 

Edited by Rovers13
  • Like 1

Total garbage that.

Villa scored 7 goals from corners last year, around 5th in the league. They also had the fifth fewest corners. So villa were one of the most effective sides at converting corners.

From memory, we have also scored twice from set plays this season (Bacuna twice from freekicks). If I was Lambert....

... I'd be instructing my forwards to draw more fouls around the edge of the box.

... I'd be instructing my forwards to draw more fouls around the edge of the box.

I think that is a skill that is attained by experience and/or by being a certain sort of player (usually an attacking midfielder). For example, Jack Grealish has the ability to draw many free kicks from opponents because he can carry and run with the ball, I think we will witness that once he is promoted to the first team.

Edited by GENTLEMAN

I think we could all agree drawing fouls on the edge of the area is a good idea in principle. We just can't keep enough possession and can't get anywhere near the edge of the box, except with a sky ball for Benteke to knock down to the huge empty space that separates our midfield and our attack.

Â