Match Thread - PLEASE DO NOT TALK ABOUT STREAMS IN THIS THREAD

samjp26

I don't think they are as good as everyone is making out, but they are better than us, especially on current form.

Won 5 Drawn 2 Lost 0 is their home record in all comps this season. We'd do very well to get a point and a win would be exceptional.

3-0 them. We've got lucky the last couple of games, I think it will run out here. That or we'll suddenly hit form. Hopefully the latter!

Surprised no one has mentioned Boruc fractured his hand against chelsea and will miss our match,

He's been in excellent form (barring the Arsenal showboating that cost a goal) and will be a big miss.

Sounds like the 3rd choice, Gazinega (sp?) will be in goal.

Would love Benteke and Kozak to rough him up throughout the game.

The Saints game may actually suit us though, in recent games Cardiff and Sunderland have been negative and not committed too many forward, possibly in the knowledge that A) they're not good enough to beat us on the attack and B) by filling their defence, they know we lack that 'creative' type player to expose weaknesses.

I'm going for an away draw and decent point.

Saints press high and won't let us have time on the ball. However they can be susceptible to the counter with their defensive line so high up. Very unpredictable game.

Yes and as we are not a team that play from the back much that may suit us. Just hoof it up the park and get in behind them with our pace. 

• Like 2

I suspect we will lose this, in fact I have a feeling we're going to be slaughtered. The last time I thought this was Man City at home, so... who knows.

It's certainly possible. Villa are very unpredictable. On that basis I predict a 4-1 victory to Villa to make up for the corresponding fixture last season  ;)

Two ways to look at this, for me. They play high up the pitch and make defenders uncomfortable on the ball, something that comes pretty naturally to our back four at times anyway. So, can see another defensive howler on the cards.

But, because they play so high up the pitch, there should be plenty of space for our pace attack to break in to. So, I can see us hitting them on the counter attack.

It's going to be a question of whose attack is more on their game. I think this will be the game where our forwards start to shine again and so I am going for a 3-2 Villa win with all our goals coming from the front three.

1-2 Villa.

Benteke and Delph score.

We play like crap, as expected, but pull out another unexpected win. Soton just cannot penetrate our rock of a defense.

Presumably except for when they score their one goal?

• Like 1

In theory So'ton should be the type of team we are setup to beat. They defend high up the pitch leaving huge space for us to counter attack into. They are also nothing special and their position in the league flatters them. 1-1.

When a team press you so far up the park the best way to play against them is to get in behind them. No point in trying to play four across the back and pass the ball out. You basically get the ball forward as quickly as possible, try and turn them and get in behind their defenders. It means the guys at the back just need to defend and get the ball forward. The midfield battle it out for second balls and if you win more of them than Southampton and the ones up top cause them problems then you have a chance. I don't think 4-3-3 is the way to play against them and I wouldn't go for 4-4-2 either. Need to get that midfield battle won. Need to get as high up the pitch as possible. Tricky game this one.

I agree. If we try passing the ball out from the back it will WBA all over again. 

I find it strange how you have this opinion away to Southampton but not away to WBA. But hey ho, we agree here. 

Edited by PieFacE
  • Like 1