Match Thread - PLEASE DO NOT TALK ABOUT STREAMS IN THIS THREAD

samjp26

Can't see us scoring or getting anything out of this even with them missing Boruc. Statistically we are the worst team in the league this season at defending headers so the two CBs Fonte and Lovren are going to have a field day on corners and Lallana is streets ahead of any player in our midfield. I see anything from 1 to 3-0 against us unfortunately.

HairyHands has been hinting very strongly that we'll go 532, which I do find a little disappointing. I would be surprised if this wasn't our starting line up:

Guzan

Bacuna Clark Vlaar Baker Luna

Westwood KEA Delph

Agbonlahor Benteke

Perhaps Weimann or Kozak will come in for Benteke, but I doubt it.

If Benteke is out I wouldn't mind seeing

---------Guzan-------------

----Vlaar Clark Baker---

Bacuna--------------Luna

---Westwood----Delph--

-----------Gabby-----------

----Weimann---Kozak----

Bit harsh on KEA but get the two full backs banging crosses into the box and Andi can run on to anything that bounces off Kozak.

edit: you could take Baker out and slot KEA in for a 4-3-3 formation too

Edited by chappy

I think he'll go with the team he played Saturday.  Our strongest line up/set up away from home.

I think he should go with the same team, but HH's comments suggest he probably won't, unfortunately.

I didn't actually hint at 5 at the back. Was thinking more five in the middle but the big man warming the bench. If it was up to me, I'd go 3-5-2. I'd drop Benteke because he has been poor recently plus carring a knock and there is always the option to bring him on as a sub. I'd also be tempted to throw Gabby up front. His pace through the middle could hurt them.

I'd do this too.

We've rain down here BTW, misty drizzle stuff.

Southampton are a good team, very well organised, but I think that they're often made in the media to be a lot better than they actually are. Don't get me wrong, like I said, they're a good, strong side, but I think that they've been slightly overachieving and have been helped by starting the season well. They'll finish the season upper mid-table, most likely. It's been mentioned before how high they like to press and that's really something that can play into our hands if our forwards are on the ball and we take our chances well. We're really gonna need to keep it together at the back and in midfield, as they'll attack right from the starting whistle, but if we stay on our toes and not waste possession (big ask, I know) then we're capable of getting something here.

2-1 to them if we fall to pieces, 2-1 to us if we hold it together.

Edited by JoshVilla

I didn't actually hint at 5 at the back. Was thinking more five in the middle but the big man warming the bench. If it was up to me, I'd go 3-5-2. I'd drop Benteke because he has been poor recently plus carring a knock and there is always the option to bring him on as a sub. I'd also be tempted to throw Gabby up front. His pace through the middle could hurt them.

Five in the middle becomes five at the back when we play it ;)

5 in the middle is something I've wanted to see for a long time. We may actually be able to get some width into the team. Personally, I'd be very pleased if we went with the usual suspects in defense, with a 5 man midfield of (L to R) Tonev, Westwood, Delph, KEA, Weimann and Gabby uptop on his own.

Guzan

Bacuna Clark Vlaar Baker Luna

Westwood KEA Delph

Agbonlahor Kozak

What i want to see

Free flowing counter attacking football

They are down to their 3rd choice goalkeeper id put Tonev in the side and get all our players to shoot from everywhere

I do not want to see a repeat of the Sunderland game with us not troubling the goalkeeper for large periods of the game

If i were Gabby or Benteke id charge him down constantly

• Like 1