Match Thread - PLEASE DO NOT TALK ABOUT STREAMS IN THIS THREAD

samjp26

When a team press you so far up the park the best way to play against them is to get in behind them. No point in trying to play four across the back and pass the ball out. You basically get the ball forward as quickly as possible, try and turn them and get in behind their defenders. It means the guys at the back just need to defend and get the ball forward. The midfield battle it out for second balls and if you win more of them than Southampton and the ones up top cause them problems then you have a chance. I don't think 4-3-3 is the way to play against them and I wouldn't go for 4-4-2 either. Need to get that midfield battle won. Need to get as high up the pitch as possible. Tricky game this one.

Yes i made that point earlier. So would you go three at the back and push the full backs up? 

• Like 1

Very good shout Paul :P

Why wouldn't you go 433? It still gives you 3 in midfield to win the second balls. I can't understand this 532 mentality at the moment, you're just adding a centre back when they've shown they're quite capable of playing with 4 at the back. Now you could say it gives the 2 full backs license to push further forward, but even in the first half against Sunderland (with 442) our fullbacks were getting forward pretty well. This is exactly the kind of game where we should be playing 433 IMO.

Well if we do go that route then I hope the front two hold it up better than they have done recently ! Otherwise it'll be a long evening without much of the ball.

Also winning the second ball wont be easy as Wanyama and Schneiderlin protect the back four very efficiently.

Sounds to me like Weimann wont make it if we go 3-5-2 which is a shame as his movement from flicks on etc could have been a good bet.

Think I'd have kept the 4-3-3 and challenged them to play better.

Well if we do go that route then I hope the front two hold it up better than they have done recently ! Otherwise it'll be a long evening without much of the ball.

Also winning the second ball wont be easy as Wanyama and Schneiderlin protect the back four very efficiently.

Sounds to me like Weimann wont make it if we go 3-5-2 which is a shame as his movement from flicks on etc could have been a good bet.

Yes but Weimann coming off the bench with 30 minutes to go might be more effective than starting with him.

Edited by PaulC

This is the problem. With 532 our strikers get far too isolated. None of our midfielders are capable of bridging the gap between midfield and attack, so it'll be up to Gabby and Benteke to take on Southampton's defence on their own.

At the other end, i'd expect Lallana & co to exploit the spaces left by the full backs as they push forward. 

We need width & pace here, be it from 442 or 433.

4-3-3 is perfect away from home. Our home form the 4-3-3 does not work and is where we should be trying something different. the team we played at home should be the team we play against Southampton

• Like 1

Southampton's style of play will suit us. It may sound strange but id rather play them away than 70% of the bottom prem teams.

Reason- at home they never sit back and dont wait to be broken down. They also play a very high line at home. I wouldn't be surprised if we get a good result here giving our counter attacking ability and pace. 1-2 to Villa

• Like 1

I guessed at a 3-0 defeat the other day. But, after thinking about it again I to believe that we could get something here. I can't believe that I am treating us playing Southampton as though we are playing either City, United or Chelsea. **** that. I want a result and I will be annoyed if we lose!!

• Like 1

In theory So'ton should be the type of team we are setup to beat. They defend high up the pitch leaving huge space for us to counter attack into. They are also nothing special and their position in the league flatters them. 1-1.

If that was the case why did we lose 2-0 and 4-0 to Spurs and their insanely high line? It comes down to quality. If Benteke can stay onside and find a bit of form we might have a chance.

There is a difference between defending well, being direct and turning their defence...and what happens when we play 3-5-2. When we've played 3-5-2 recently it's turned into 5-3-0-0-0-0-0-0-2. Those 0's indicate 60 yards between our midfield on the edge of our box and the 2 totally stranded strikers. Note also that the wing backs are completely pegged back to avoid the opposition winger and full back exploiting a 1-2.

When we play 3-5-2 our only attacking option or way of getting out of our half is to hoof it straight down the middle and hope one of our strikers can bring it down. They then have to beat about 4 players and shoot, or hold it up for 10 seconds while the midfield arrive to support.

The tendency to hoof down the pitch and the wing backs/midfield sitting too deep will only be exaggerated by a Southampton team that press high.

4-3-3. 4-2-3-1. 4-4-1-1. 3-4-3. 3-4-2-1. Anything but 3-5-2 .

Am I the only one that remembers going 352 vs. West Brom, at which point we improved dramatically and came from 2-0 down to draw 2-2?

It's about how the tactics are used against specific oppositions, not just the tactics themselves.

Am I the only one that remembers going 352 vs. West Brom, at which point we improved dramatically and came from 2-0 down to draw 2-2?

It's about how the tactics are used against specific oppositions, not just the tactics themselves.

Slow day at work?

;)