Match Thread - PLEASE DO NOT TALK ABOUT STREAMS IN THIS THREAD

samjp26

He's better defensively than Lowton but not as good offensively.

People on here prioritise the latter when it comes to a full-back.

He's not a RB and it shows - he's much more valuable to us when he's further up the pitch - Lowton was excellent last season - and his eagerness to get forward along with his delivery is great. Lowton makes things tick when he bursts forward - but Bacuna becomes static. Sunderland were dominating down our right yesterday. 

There are quite contradicting views on here regarding our full backs. Last year I undersood the stick Bennet got, but now I really don't. Full backs are not our problem, and yet some here want to change/drop them.

Also, Lambert seems to want his full backs to take active part in attacking. Therefore, when assessing the quality of our full back's play, putting more weigh on their play forward is warranted.

Edited by AVTuco

Not going to be pretty.

Though on one hand, since our center backs are prone to hoofing it up under any pressure or passing it back to Guzan, all it takes is for one line to be a bit too high. Wouldn't surprise me if Lambert comes out with the directive to try balls over the top on sight. Will be interesting to see if soton counters by not deploying their high line/high pressure norm

This one I'd happily sell for a boring nil nil ...

'Surely' we'll play with 3 central defenders, so 3-5-2 or really more as it will be, 5-3-2 (10-0-0) and defending our one point. I would like to see Benteke dropped, but I don't think that'll happen. I'd also like to see Lowton back at RB and Bacuna in midfield, but that's probably also unlikely.

He's better defensively than Lowton but not as good offensively.

People on here prioritise the latter when it comes to a full-back.

He's not a RB and it shows - he's much more valuable to us when he's further up the pitch - Lowton was excellent last season - and his eagerness to get forward along with his delivery is great. Lowton makes things tick when he bursts forward - but Bacuna becomes static. Sunderland were dominating down our right yesterday.

How does it 'show' exactly? I think lots of people just say this because they know he is not a natural right-back.

keeper.png
Guzan
home.png
Lowton
home.png
Vlaar
home.png
Clark
home.png
Luna
home.png
Bacuna
home.png
Westwood
home.png
Delph
home.png
Weimann
home.png
Benteke
home.png
Agbonlahor

2-1 win for us with them scoring in the first ten minutes.

Benteke to get the winner with a deflection that ricochets off his thigh in to the bottom corner after a Delph shot from outside the box.

• Like 1

Great matchup for Villa, a high pressing possession side that lets the fullbacks bomb forward and leave space in behind. I think this could be the type of game where Villa have somewhere in the 30s for possession but it ends up very high scoring, maybe Lambert will even go back to what made him a good manager with fast paced attacks, no clean sheets but a shitload of goals.

Then again maybe he'll stay with this seasons crap and villa will lose.

AVTuco.  Off topic, I know, but I gotta say I love your name and Avatar.  Brilliant movie.  Can I just call you "the ugly" for short?  :)

Thank you very much for your kind words.

Sure you can, although I think I'm quite handsome really. ;)