Transfer Speculation (Winter 2014)

Richard

Assuming we haven't got much money to spend in January, I would take Dempsey on loan all day long. He's a good professional, he's different to other players that we have ( ie scores goals from midfield ) and he could give us a bit of impetus similar to Robbie Keane did for us or Donovan did for Everton.

Would rather move on Weimann than Gabby.

I wouldn't. Weimann has natural talent, Gabby has pace. One of those attributes dimishes with age, the other doesn't.

What about this for a solution... Move on both

Only if we sign some proper established first 11 players not more 2m potshots.

I really don't get this approach to transfers. Why is price and how known a player is more important than ability?

We signed Helenius and Tonev for about 4m combined. That would've worked well if we'd sold Gabby and Weimann thinking those two would replace them immediately wouldn't it?

Say we go mental in January, have about 30m to spend (already spending the Benteke money early) and sign Loic Remy and Antione Greizmann for 15m each, would you not think those two would be more ready to make a difference in our first 11 straight away than Tonev and Helenius.

IMO now we've reached the stage where our squad is pretty good in numbers now but we need players who can quickly come in and improve our first 11, not more long term projects like Tonev and Helenius.

• Like 1

We signed Helenius and Tonev for about 4m combined. That would've worked well if we'd sold Gabby and Weimann thinking those two would replace them immediately wouldn't it?

Say we go mental in January, have about 30m to spend (already spending the Benteke money early) and sign Loic Remy and Antione Greizmann for 15m each, would you not think those two would be more ready to make a difference in our first 11 straight away than Tonev and Helenius.

IMO now we've reached the stage where our squad is pretty good in numbers now but we need players who can quickly come in and improve our first 11, not more long term projects like Tonev and Helenius.

I don't believe Helenius and Tonev (definitely Tonev) were signed as "long term projects". You could've said the same thing about the likes of Westwood, Sylla and Bacuna.

I don't really see what this has to do with your point though. You were bemoaning the "£2m potshots" but just because they're cheap doesn't mean they can't come in and immediately make a difference to the team.

Edited by Mantis

Aston Villa are expected to make a January move for for Torino full-back Danilo D’Ambrosio.

Sources suggest the 25-year-old defender is high on manager Paul Lambert’s new year’s shopping list.

D’Ambrosio’s contact runs out in the summer and he is free to strike an agreement with another club on January 1.

The Italian is eager to taste life in the Premier League and Lambert wants to strengthen his defence.

Vincenzo Pisacane, the player’s agent, confirmed that he is keen to leave the Serie A club when he said: ‘I’ve read in the newspapers that we are working on his contract renewal, indeed that we are on the right road for that, however, that is not right.’

Villa, meanwhile, will hope that Scotland and former Tottenham and Glasgow Rangers defender Alan Hutton can find new employers when the transfer window re-opens after attempts to move him on failed in the summer.

The Midlanders could be busy in the first four weeks of 2014 as they have also been linked with a move for Seattle Sounders striker Clint Dempsey.

http://metro.co.uk/2013/11/18/torino-defender-danilo-dambrosio-is-on-aston-villas-january-wishlist-4190779/?

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN

Aston Villa are expected to make a January move for for Torino full-back Danilo D’Ambrosio.

Sources suggest the 25-year-old defender is high on manager Paul Lambert’s new year’s shopping list.

D’Ambrosio’s contact runs out in the summer and he is free to strike an agreement with another club on January 1.

The Italian is eager to taste life in the Premier League and Lambert wants to strengthen his defence.

Vincenzo Pisacane, the player’s agent, confirmed that he is keen to leave the Serie A club when he said: ‘I’ve read in the newspapers that we are working on his contract renewal, indeed that we are on the right road for that, however, that is not right.’

Villa, meanwhile, will hope that Scotland and former Tottenham and Glasgow Rangers defender Alan Hutton can find new employers when the transfer window re-opens after attempts to move him on failed in the summer.

The Midlanders could be busy in the first four weeks of 2014 as they have also been linked with a move for Seattle Sounders striker Clint Dempsey.

http://metro.co.uk/2013/11/18/torino-defender-danilo-dambrosio-is-on-aston-villas-january-wishlist-4190779/?

He's a RB so maybe the competition for Lowton as Lambert sees Bacuna as a Midfielder now?

• Like 1

People wishing for the supposedly 15m rated Dembele are dreaming he is a player that will surely go to a CL club. As much as I would love him to come to us I don't see what our draw to him would be other than a massive wage packet we wont pay him.

As for signing cheap players I think we may have one more season of that even though I personally think we should be done with that this season and start to add just a few players per year with the funds provided which seems to be about 20m a season.

Unfortunately we're very unlikely to have the funds to get a player of Dembele's quality, even on loan. I think Tottenham are crazy if they let him go, but there's obviously a logjam in midfield there. He'd fit so well in Southampton's midfield next to Schneiderlin ( sp? ) and Wanyama.

Come on guys - Dembele? Fairly certain has said he will be repeating what he has done the last few windows this January. That means young, unknown talent which will cost very little indeed.

I know we want these sorts of players but there is no need to get excited about it. Maybe in a couple of years time....

People wishing for the supposedly 15m rated Dembele are dreaming he is a player that will surely go to a CL club. As much as I would love him to come to us I don't see what our draw to him would be other than a massive wage packet we wont pay him.

As for signing cheap players I think we may have one more season of that even though I personally think we should be done with that this season and start to add just a few players per year with the funds provided which seems to be about 20m a season.

He isn't at a CL club now so what's the difference. His reasons for moving are to get game time which puts him in contention for the world cup, add to that he'd be playing with benteke gives us a good a chance as any. The stumbling block of course is fee and wages, now we have shifted the majority of dead wood and could potentially move on Hutton or given, we could go for him. Plus if we are to believe that the books are beginning to look good and we are slowly heading out of the financial constraints it would be a signing of intent from us.

I must admit though there are a few big its in there.

He isn't at a CL club now so what's the difference. His reasons for moving are to get game time which puts him in contention for the world cup, add to that he'd be playing with benteke gives us a good a chance as any. The stumbling block of course is fee and wages, now we have shifted the majority of dead wood and could potentially move on Hutton or given, we could go for him. Plus if we are to believe that the books are beginning to look good and we are slowly heading out of the financial constraints it would be a signing of intent from us.

I must admit though there are a few big ifs in there.

We influenced every team in the world that plays a standard league system  :)  Unfortunately nobody seems to know it.

Could you imagine if Liverpool, Spurs or West Ham had the hand we did in forming the league?  We'd never stop hearing about it.

• Like 1

We influenced every team in the world that plays a standard league system  :)  Unfortunately nobody seems to know it.

Could you imagine if Liverpool, Spurs or West Ham had the hand we did in forming the league?  We'd never stop hearing about it.

Not even the last century, but the century before that.

I'm a Villa fan and a history lover, but face it, it has ZERO relevance to today's game.

Â