Paris Saint-Germain

Avfc96

11 hours ago, villa4europe said:

Not sure why people don't get that barca can't register him, they're not allowed to register new players, they can't register aguero either

It doesn't matter if they paid messi £1 a week or £1m a week he wouldn't be able to kick a la liga ball for them 

Isn't the point people are making that Messi agreeing to a wage reduction would have been a *necessary* but not *sufficient* measure? If I have a project that is overrunning on costs, it might be true that cutting any one individual cost is not enough to get it back on budget, but it's definitely true that if I don't cut any of them it won't get back on budget.

I'm having a hard time with this argument. When people say 'he could have been paid a pound a week' they're not saying literally one pound and ignoring that Spain has a national minimum wage, they're saying 'whatever the legal minimum would be which is so close to 'free' that the word 'free' is an acceptable shorthand'. The argument from critics is not that this would have single-handedly solved Barcelona's FFP problems (clearly it wouldn't, as they are not solved yet - necessary but not sufficient) but that agreeing to play for 'free' (as opposed to free, but also as opposed to a 50% wage reduction, which is still a staggeringly large amount of money) would have matched the reality of the rhetoric about how much he never wanted to leave.

I don't think I agree with that argument, but that's what it is. 

Messi also could have signed any contract before 30th June and he could have been registered. Him going past that technically made him a free agent andwould need be registered as a new signing 

They knew what they were doing 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, MNVillan said:

Asking someone to do an incredibly demanding job for essentially free, especially as maybe the best of all time, is an unrealistic thing to ask.

I love my job, but I’m not doing it for a dollar a week no matter how much money I have.

What about if you were earning $50m a year to wear a certain kind of shoe to your job ;) 

Its a moot point as he couldn't be registered anyway :)

7 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

Isn't the point people are making that Messi agreeing to a wage reduction would have been a *necessary* but not *sufficient* measure? If I have a project that is overrunning on costs, it might be true that cutting any one individual cost is not enough to get it back on budget, but it's definitely true that if I don't cut any of them it won't get back on budget.

I'm having a hard time with this argument. When people say 'he could have been paid a pound a week' they're not saying literally one pound and ignoring that Spain has a national minimum wage, they're saying 'whatever the legal minimum would be which is so close to 'free' that the word 'free' is an acceptable shorthand'. The argument from critics is not that this would have single-handedly solved Barcelona's FFP problems (clearly it wouldn't, as they are not solved yet - necessary but not sufficient) but that agreeing to play for 'free' (as opposed to free, but also as opposed to a 50% wage reduction, which is still a staggeringly large amount of money) would have matched the reality of the rhetoric about how much he never wanted to leave.

I don't think I agree with that argument, but that's what it is. 

Messi's contract he agreed was effectively a pay-rise. 

He was going to sign for 5 years at a 50% reduction but only play for 2 years (40% of the contract) and I assume be paid for the remaining 3 years. It was creative accounting and something Barca said they thought they could use to aid the problems they are having. 

To get back on topic of PSG, Messi joining them is just predictable isn't it. I bet Icardi is thinking "FFS"! :D 

• Like 2

I was thinking the reported salary was on the low side and this sum from Le Parisien sounds more likely. €41m per year after tax, a bunch of very profitable performance bonuses on top of that and a €40oifm signing bonus.

Can't like the Le Parisien article since it's paywall but it's reported in other outlets as well

Messi's salary higher than expected

According to transfer journalist Fabrizio Romano, he will earn around 35 million euros (357 million kronor) per season, but now there is new information about it.

The French newspaper Le Parisien states that Messi receives a total of 41 million euros net per year. In addition, various types of bonuses are also added. Messi is also said to have received a sign-on bonus of 40 million euros.

https://www.fotbollskanalen.se/bloggar/sillybloggen/2021/08/12/uppgifter-messis-lon-hogre-an-forvantat/

4 minutes ago, sne said:

I was thinking the reported salary was on the low side and this sum from Le Parisien sounds more likely. €41m per year after tax, a bunch of very profitable performance bonuses on top of that and a €40oifm signing bonus.

Can't like the Le Parisien article since it's paywall but it's reported in other outlets as well

https://www.fotbollskanalen.se/bloggar/sillybloggen/2021/08/12/uppgifter-messis-lon-hogre-an-forvantat/

according to a googled french tax calculator to earn 41m after tax in france, who have a crazy high tax band taking a lot off their big earners he would have to earn 98m euro a year,  just shy of 1.9m a week, plus the 40m signing bonus

• Like 1

It’s incredible and concerning that the dubious crypto grifters Socios (we’ve sadly got a deal with them too) covered the cost of his signing on fee to influence the fan tokens in a currency they control to inflate its worth. We should all be very concerned 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, The_Steve said:

It’s incredible and concerning that the dubious crypto grifters Socios (we’ve sadly got a deal with them too) covered the cost of his signing on fee to influence the fan tokens in a currency they control to inflate its worth. We should all be very concerned 

Another reason FFP needs to be scrapped. It’s not healthy for clubs to go looking for ways to bend/break the rules. 
Just bin it off, if owners want to gift hundreds of millions to a team then so be it. 

1 hour ago, Genie said:

Another reason FFP needs to be scrapped. It’s not healthy for clubs to go looking for ways to bend/break the rules. 
Just bin it off, if owners want to gift hundreds of millions to a team then so be it. 

It's not that simple though. These few owners that would be allowed to spend unlimited funds would massively inflate already high player wages.

That in turn would force other teams, not so lucky to have rich owners, to get in to debt just to try to compete and stay relevant. It would affect the whole football pyramid.

Current FFP rules are crap and need to be scrapped, but there has to be some other regulation.

I don’t want to post the picture, as I’d feel dirty, but they have Messi and all the other summer signings appearing on a «see you in Qatar» ad poster on instagram. F***ing puke. 

18 hours ago, sne said:

Gotta spend money to earn money, or something like that...

I alluded to this the other day, £80m ish all in for the best player of all time for 2 years actually looks like good value.

They could also sell him after 1 season if they wanted.

PSG may be able to record this as a profitable transfer on their FFP balance sheet.

Edited by Genie

1 minute ago, Genie said:

I alluded to this the other day, £80m ish all in for the best player of all time for 2 years actually looks like good value.

They could also sell him after 1 season if they wanted.

PSG may be able to record this as a profitable transfer on their FFP balance sheet.

Yeah, but I bet if you scratch a bit on the surface I'm certain you will find that Messi will earl a whole lot than £80m during these years from PSG. Quite possible that that money will come from non PSG accounts thou I guess.

The signing bonus alone was apparently £40m. And then there are no doubt countless other bonuses.

Honestly starting to hope that they manage with their plan to sign Ronaldo next summer so they can be used for their Qatar 2022 WC promotion campaign. The big play here is not to bring in money to PSG, it's to promote Qatar.

Really hope M'bappé splits next summer.

7 minutes ago, sne said:

The signing bonus alone was apparently £40m. And then there are no doubt countless other bonuses.

It depends where you read.

Some places say €35m a year plus €25m signing fee. Other places €40m a year plus €40m. Probably a myriad of others about too.

Whatever it is, PSG will recover a lot / all / more than their outlay over the 2 years.

They can increase ticket prices, higher value exhibition games, sell more corporate packages, new sponsors. I bet my lad would love a Messi PSG shirt like millions of others around the world.

Just now, Genie said:

It depends where you read.

Some places say €35m a year plus €25m signing fee. Other places €40m a year plus €40m. Probably a myriad of others about too.

Whatever it is, PSG will recover a lot / all / more than their outlay over the 2 years.

They can increase ticket prices, higher value exhibition games, sell more corporate packages, new sponsors. I bet my lad would love a Messi PSG shirt like millions of others around the world.

Yeah, no doubt. But the PSG owners don't care about that. They care about how much they'll no be able to use Messi to promote the 2022 WC and Qatar. And just imagine when they get Ronaldo and his 327m Instagram followers.

• Like 2

Â