Weather...

Dodgyknees

The thunder and lightning here this afternoon has been nuts. Had the house shake with the thunder dozens of times, a couple of them were like a bomb had gone off, and the lightning has lit the house up a couple of times with the intense enormous strikes.

On 27/05/2018 at 14:27, sne said:

The warmest month of May ever recorded in Sweden 

Been in the high 20's to low 30's for almost 3 weeks here in Karlstad.

Funny, that's about what we'd normally  expect it to be here in northern California, but it's been unusually cool for a couple of weeks, not even reaching 20.  We were camping last weekend and were bundled up and had the fire going from dawn until bedtime.  Then yesterday, low 20's and today 33.   Back below 20 by Wednesday.  Crazy.

• 1 month later...

So is everyone enjoying the weather? I am but I am hating the fact I haven't got a garden or outside space of my own. 

The nighttimes are a pain as well as its too warm. I love it during the day but wish it would go cooler overnight

For the older VTers, how does this compare to the summer of 76?

16 minutes ago, Xela said:

So is everyone enjoying the weather? I am but I am hating the fact I haven't got a garden or outside space of my own. 

The nighttimes are a pain as well as its too warm. I love it during the day but wish it would go cooler overnight

Hard to say, memory plays tricks. I remember it as being hotter back then, but the stats must be out there somewhere. 

30 minutes ago, Xela said:

The tar is not melting on the road & there is no water rationing via standpipes in the street are my immediate thoughts

Oh and I'm not being chased around our village in Wales being called water waster and being punched by random kids in the street (because Brum didn't have rationing and Wales did even though most people in Brum were drinking Welsh Water)

25 minutes ago, Xela said:

Well, the summer of 76 was also when the wurzels had just got their brand new combine harvester and were prepared to give us the key. So everyone was already getting hot under their neckerchiefs.

From Wiki

Heathrow had 16 consecutive days over 30 °C (86 °F) from 23 June to 8 July[4] and for 15 consecutive days from 23 June to 7 July temperatures reached 32.2 °C (90 °F) somewhere in England. Furthermore, five days saw temperatures exceed 35 °C (95 °F). On 28 June, temperatures reached 35.6 °C (96.1 °F) in Southampton, the highest June temperature recorded in the UK. The hottest day of all was 3 July, with temperatures reaching 35.9 °C (96.6 °F) in Cheltenham.

Don't think anything like that has happened in 2018... yet

My parents worked in a club in Mosely during that summer (I think it was called The Oxford but i May have gotten that wrong)

I’ve heard the story countless times about how it finally started raining one night and the doorman ran in and announced it to the club, at which point everyone went out and danced in the rain in the car park because they were so happy it was finally raining!

44 minutes ago, Xela said:

I was about 12yrs old then....erm.... I think 76 was hotter for longer and unless my memory fails me, didn't sutton park have a big fire caused by arsonists that year ?

My mate at work told me he'd bought an ice cream van for the summer of 77 based in the previous year's heatwave and he said it turned out to be the wettest summer ever. So much so that fed up with the lousy weather, he drove up to a local kids home and dumped his stock at their door !

4 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

My parents worked in a club in Mosely during that summer (I think it was called The Oxford but i May have gotten that wrong)

I’ve heard the story countless times about how it finally started raining one night and the doorman ran in and announced it to the club, at which point everyone went out and danced in the rain in the car park because they were so happy it was finally raining!

Thank you, Dennis Howell, Brummie 'Minister of Drought'.  :)

Â