Weather...

Dodgyknees

3 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

You're right, that was an unsupportable hot take!

But they are better in a number of ways, and often the ways they are better make them better for middle America, which is why they use it. Wood is cheaper, more plentiful, and more flexible; carpenters are widely available; and wooden house construction crucially requires less cement (cement manufacturing being both a big source of pollution and really hard to make environmentally-friendly).

I have to take 'in every way' back though!

I was just wondering actually about the insulation properties of wood.  It's surely got to be way ahead of brick. Maybe the UK needs to look more at that, it's not a common material here but surely should be worthy of more consideration. And as you say would be much more environmentaly friendly.

2 hours ago, Xann said:

The trapped inverted dustbin lid was acting like a phonograph over tarmac :)

external-content.duckduckgo.jpg.beb5821ba001e22c61149fb1d0cd0085.jpg

Hold on a minute, amidst all the excellent punning, has no one asked what century you are in with your dustbin lid. And did you drive a DeLorean to get there?

When did dustbins still have detachable lids? Are Kylie and Jason in the charts in your timeline? :D

1 hour ago, bickster said:

Hold on a minute, amidst all the excellent punning, has no one asked what century you are in with your dustbin lid. And did you drive a DeLorean to get there?

When did dustbins still have detachable lids? Are Kylie and Jason in the charts in your timeline? :D

We provide our own bins here, though I've just wandered through wheelie bin Merton. Like cows, they're all lying down in the rain :D

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, sidcow said:

I was just wondering actually about the insulation properties of wood.  It's surely got to be way ahead of brick. Maybe the UK needs to look more at that, it's not a common material here but surely should be worthy of more consideration. And as you say would be much more environmentaly friendly.

AIUI you *can* make brick houses that are as well-insulated as wood ones, but that it's really expensive in comparison.

I have to admit I'm a bit biased about this because I'm right now dealing with cracks in the brickwork to the house I'm living in which a variety of experts have been paid to take a look at and not one can explain to me, and it's pissing me off no end. And also I go to Canada a lot, and in Canada most houses are wooden, and they are all much warmer and better-insulated than the vast majority of brick houses in this country, but I guess I don't know exactly what proportion of that is down to the materials versus the age of the properties.

1 hour ago, Xann said:

We provide our own bins here, though I've just wandered through wheelie bin Merton. Like cows, they're all lying down in the rain :D

Wondered why my daughter just throws it in the front garden in bags :D

• Like 1

I see Storm Franklyn isn’t getting much media attention. Well for us in the North West it’s forecast to be much higher wind speeds than Eunice was on Friday

Wind speeds of up to 75mph forecast whereas on Friday the speeds were only forecast to be 60 mph

12 minutes ago, bickster said:

I see Storm Franklyn isn’t getting much media attention. Well for us in the North West it’s forecast to be much higher wind speeds than Eunice was on Friday

Wind speeds of up to 75mph forecast whereas on Friday the speeds were only forecast to be 60 mph

The wind here today is howling again, but this time its got rain as well.

Two houses across from me are having their roofs repaired today, by a few guys just armed with some long ladders and a van full of slates. Crazy being up there today trying to brace yourself against the wind and repair a roof with no sort of safety harness or anything.

Mine can stay as it is until everything is a bit calmer, the damage is worse than I’d estimated now I’ve had time for a proper look, but I don’t want people up there in this wind.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, chrisp65 said:

The wind here today is howling again, but this time its got rain as well.

Two houses across from me are having their roofs repaired today, by a few guys just armed with some long ladders and a van full of slates. Crazy being up there today trying to brace yourself against the wind and repair a roof with no sort of safety harness or anything.

Mine can stay as it is until everything is a bit calmer, the damage is worse than I’d estimated now I’ve had time for a proper look, but I don’t want people up there in this wind.

Yep, I'm expecting to be chasing the other half of next doors plastic flashing around the garden in a bit. There's no way it'll survive

• Like 1

It’s fascinating to see what randomly gets damaged and what gets left untouched. We have a greenhouse with plastic sides, not touched. Next door has a trampoline with high side nets, didn’t move.

But four houses directly across from me have had slates and flashings just disappeared, me and the neighbour have lost slates front and rear.

On the plus side, I appear to have gained three new bird feeders, nobody local recognises them.

Driving around town earlier and here and there its spectacular damage, the Pizza Hut has been stripped of all its signage, lots of road signage has been bent down to the ground and there’s a house that used to have solar panels that now doesn’t. 

The local covid testing centre was a collection of heras fencing and rental cabins in a leisure centre car park, looks like someone has used the cabins for bowling practise, they’re scattered with a few the wrong way up. The pub across the road from that has lost all the outdoor cabins, party booths that became the pub craze of 2021.

At no point did we lose electric, gas, or internet, so modern life continues at Ty Chrispy.

Was at a pals house today, there was a huge tree in the middle of the road. It's not busy at all but the council were called at 1330 and the chain saw gang were there by 1400 cutting it up and shifting it. in the pouring rain. Wish all the other trades worked like that.

Â