Weather...

Dodgyknees

4 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Ergh. Imagine being a milkman back then 

The thing that actually popped into my head was that our milk regularly froze and rose out of the bottle. My milk now never freezes. I appreciate that it's anecdotal but growing up in the 70s, the milk on the doorstep during the winter was unusable. 

• Like 1

We did have a very cold (but not particularly snowy) December, about - what? ten? - years ago. A few weeks of minus 10, minus 12 or so. I remember then going out to the car one morning and noticing how much warmer it felt - it was minus 3. 

18 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

We did have a very cold (but not particularly snowy) December, about - what? ten? - years ago. A few weeks of minus 10, minus 12 or so. I remember then going out to the car one morning and noticing how much warmer it felt - it was minus 3. 

2012 iirc. Last game I went to at Anfield, we drew 1-1. The temperature was -19

• Like 1

I mean i was born in 1982 and i can only comment on early 90s as thats how back i remember but back then it was a hell of a lot colder then these winters we have.

Imagine having these heating costs back then? We would all be screwed

21 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

I mean i was born in 1982 and i can only comment on early 90s as thats how back i remember but back then it was a hell of a lot colder then these winters we have.

Imagine having these heating costs back then? We would all be screwed

100w light bulbs in every room!

I was born 1970 and can confirm all winters are now mild. 

Sometimes the mid season coat stays on deep into the start and comes out early at the end of Winter. 

I think this winter has been colder than 2 years ago which I recall as being very mild. 

Not sure about last year as we were in so much. 

When I was a kid you could get really deep snows and drifts which would last for days and into weeks.  Can't remember the last time snow hung around for more than a couple of days. 

I was born at the end of ‘81. I have this very early memory of my dad going out to get electric and the snow being up over his knees. I guess it must have been mid to late 80’s. 
I still remember him heading off not knowing if the local shop which sold the electric cards was open.

We had no central heating then. Just a 2 bar electric fire in the living room. Later we got one of those gas bottle in the back stand alone fires which sat in the hall way. I still have no idea where all the fumes from such a fire went? 

42 minutes ago, sidcow said:

I was born 1970 and can confirm all winters are now mild. 

Sometimes the mid season coat stays on deep into the start and comes out early at the end of Winter. 

I think this winter has been colder than 2 years ago which I recall as being very mild. 

Not sure about last year as we were in so much. 

When I was a kid you could get really deep snows and drifts which would last for days and into weeks.  Can't remember the last time snow hung around for more than a couple of days. 

I dont think this year fell lower than 2 degrees here in london. In fact i think the lowest we had was 4 degrees. I remember when we use to get - temperatures. Hopefully this will all help us reduce the amount of heating we will need in the next few years to fight off these energy companies 

I have to agree, I don't think it genuinely gets that cold anymore. Or that is the perception I have

@Genie could it have been December 1990? Me and my Dad were meant to go to the Villa game (home v Man City I think on the 8th) but was cancelled. Just googled the date and found a weather forum! Some memories below:

I don't recall having anything like that since

When I was a wee nipper at the grand old age of 7, back in December 1990 (!), I can remember there being a huge overnight dumping of snow (approx. 15inches) in the Birmingham area. It started on Friday evening and stopped mid Saturday.

----------

I dont seem to remmber this event well but my parents talk about this one alot. It was probably the best snow event for the midlands in the last 25 years. I remember the snow being very wet and stuck instantly to trees and power lines. We were without power for about 48 hours. We had about 12-13" of snow. I remember the snow lasting for about 1-2 weeks even though there was a thaw.

----------

Doing some reminiscing this evening (as you do at the end of a decade!). I do have a couple of pictures from December 8 1990 - Shirley, West Midlands which show the depth of snow. From what I can recall it was in excess of 15 inches by the late afternoon.

https://www.netweather.tv/forum/topic/32850-blizzards-of-december-7th8th9th-1990-and-january-1991/

• Like 1

On 10/03/2022 at 08:22, Seat68 said:

Well 1981/82 was a bit of an anomoly. Temperatures however regularly dipped well below freezing. 

Did they ever. That winter, 81/82 I lived at Cosford. -21 it dropped to. Ice and snow everywhere, frozen and burst pipes, easily the coldest temperature I’ve ever experienced. You could snap your hair.

• Like 1

2010 was pretty cold here. -14. It doesn’t often get that cold on the coast where I am.  I went out for a walk one afternoon and though it was proper freezing, it was beautiful too, as the sun set and the freezing fog came following in

C963AF17-AECC-412A-8253-8EED6D98E32C.jpeg

1 hour ago, Xela said:

I have to agree, I don't think it genuinely gets that cold anymore. Or that is the perception I have

@Genie could it have been December 1990? Me and my Dad were meant to go to the Villa game (home v Man City I think on the 8th) but was cancelled. Just googled the date and found a weather forum! Some memories below:

I don't recall having anything like that since

https://www.netweather.tv/forum/topic/32850-blizzards-of-december-7th8th9th-1990-and-january-1991/

Yeah, that could be about right, I’d have been 8/9.

Â