Weather...

Dodgyknees

Well we’ve just had the most eerie 15 minutes.

The wind has been bettering the front of the house. It pretty much fell silent for 5 minutes, now its hitting the back of the house.

It was like one of those filmic scenes, incredibly strong winds, then nothing, then hitting from the opposite direction. All of a sudden everything that was safely packed away is now being rolled around the back garden and the fire places are now howling with wind.

It’s been a bit of a ride, but so far I reckon we’ve lost about 4 or 5 in slates in total front and back so frankly, I’ll take that if that’s all the damage we get. More of a ball ache than a serious problem. I just nipped out for a quick roof check and it was still needing effort to lean in to the wind.

38 minutes ago, Mozzavfc said:

This live stream at Heathrow airport is strangely compelling watching. Pilots earning their money today

The pileup of all the planes doing the good old second lap.......Overtime coming up

51 minutes ago, Mozzavfc said:

This live stream at Heathrow airport is strangely compelling watching. Pilots earning their money today

Insane watching this on the computer because I see them coming over the top of my place just as they come into view for him. Even three miles out you can see how much the pilots are fighting to keep it on target.

I once ran a ten mile race in very high winds - an out-and-back along the coast at Lytham-St Annes. Outward leg was like running against a wall of air (and rain). But the return leg was fantastic - I was literally carried on the wind every time my feet left the ground. No effort required at all. 

• Like 2

According to the Met Office, we're at peak wind now for the next few hours, if this is it, its nothing that unusual for around here

The winds we had around here last autumn were actually much worse than this

All the forecast seems to have done is push the wind back a few hours and extend its length but if this is the peak, we'll cope

One of my garden benches has blown over. 

Guy over the road has lost the same fence panels he loses everytime there is a slight gust of wind. He's got those concrete posts with the groove the panels slot into, clearly they've not been set right. 

Other than that I've seen PLENTY of windier days which have not been headline news for days before. 

I think Brum has mostly escaped it.  Apparently on The Isle of Wight they recorded the strongest ever gust of wind ever seen in The UK, over 100mph. 

I reckon it's passed slightly further South than expected. 

I am going to The Prince of Wales in Moseley later, I hope their mahoosive Marquee has survived. 

Next door is starting to lose the caps at the side of the roof, I think I have most of them collected unbroken so far. They only had it done last summer. Ours was done the year before and is holding fast. I think they lost the first one in the winds of the Autumn and didn't repair it, now the wind will probably take all of them from the one side.

5 minutes ago, bickster said:

Next door is starting to lose the caps at the side of the roof, I think I have most of them collected unbroken so far. They only had it done last summer. Ours was done the year before and is holding fast. I think they lost the first one in the winds of the Autumn and didn't repair it, now the wind will probably take all of them from the one side.

Plastic? 

We had an extension 10 years ago that has plastic end caps. I've often looked at them and thought they won't be lasting 40 - 50 years like the main house roof is. That's all sealed with thick mortar. 

I've noticed more and more plastic looking things going into roofs, valleys and angled shapes. Roofs are serious things and I don't think plastic should be anywhere near them. 

29 minutes ago, sidcow said:

...  Apparently on The Isle of Wight they recorded the strongest ever gust of wind ever seen in The UK, over 100mph. ...

I can see the Isle of Wight from our loft room, we've got a few loose roof tiles at the front of the house (got someone coming tomorrow to fix them - thanks insurance company), gusts from the Solent are getting quite nasty again.

19 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Plastic? 

Yep, ours are too but are seemingly build of better stuff than next doors. To be honest I think its the way they were fixed on and not repairing the one that came off in the aurumn left them pretty vulnerable

• Like 1

Â