How much do you have in your bank account?

donnie

I have friends who work for banks and take a compulsory two-week break. They were told it was to reduce fraud.

Was it ever explained how it reduces fraud?

I can't remember but I think it was to do with people being unable to cover their arses during an extended break.

It would be interesting to know if that actually worked. I can't but help think there would be have been plenty of fraudsters over the years who enjoyed taking long expensive holidays without worrying about being caught. Similarly, I can't imagine many potential fraudsters thinking "if only I could take holidays of 9 days or less, I could make some serious money".

It may have been one of the FSA's hair-brained ideas.

The rule was brought in after Nick Leeson brought down Barings bank (as portrayed by Ewan McGregor in the film 'Rogue Trader') back in the 90s.

All banking staff dealing with trading have to have 2 consecutive weeks off with another employee taking over your trades.

That way, hopefully your replacement will notice any dodgy trades going south during those 2 weeks and can put a stop to it before it gets out of hand.

I have friends who work for banks and take a compulsory two-week break. They were told it was to reduce fraud.

I can't remember but I think it was to do with people being unable to cover their arses during an extended break.

It would be interesting to know if that actually worked. I can't but help think there would be have been plenty of fraudsters over the years who enjoyed taking long expensive holidays without worrying about being caught. Similarly, I can't imagine many potential fraudsters thinking "if only I could take holidays of 9 days or less, I could make some serious money".

The rule was brought in after Nick Leeson brought down Barings bank (as portrayed by Ewan McGregor in the film 'Rogue Trader') back in the 90s.

All banking staff dealing with trading have to have 2 consecutive weeks off with another employee taking over your trades.

That way, hopefully your replacement will notice any dodgy trades going south during those 2 weeks and can put a stop to it before it gets out of hand.

leeson must feel hard done by with the stuff bankers recently got away with 

• Like 1

With the emphasis on 'hopefully'! I still suspect there have been those not caught out by a long holiday and those who have been caught out whilst off for a day, so I'm calling it unnecessary. It also appears to have unnecessarily expanded beyond those with genuine trading responsibilty.

What next? A post a pic of your house thread?

Houses surely :)

Assets, Tony.  They're not houses, still less homes, they're assets.  Exponential increase in wealth, in return for no work whatever.  The rentier society, a countrywide Ponzi scheme. 

What every hardworking family wants?

The basis of a sound economy?

These new Conservative values seem to me to be utterly opposed to those of the Conservative party of Iain Macleod and others of the sensible persuasion.

• Like 1

What next? A post a pic of your house thread?

How much are your parents worth?

I was actually tempted to start a VillaTalk "Battlestation" thread similar to the one on Reddit. But decided against it. 

EDIT: I really don't think Donnie was trying to rub it anyone's face with his savings. It was just a simple question imo. 

Edited by PieFacE

coda, on 11 Oct 2013 - 10:39 AM, said:coda, on 11 Oct 2013 - 10:39 AM, said:coda, on 11 Oct 2013 - 10:39 AM, said:

So if you bought £1000 Royal Mail shares which have gone up 36% how much do they take out of your 'winnings' for transaction fees etc? Can you flog them right away?

if you applied for £750 - £10,000 you got 227 shares

So I've made £249 in half an hour  , in theory

Can't actually sell them until the 15th  .... I'll have a look in the meantime to decide if I want to hang on to them or buy more  etc

more interesting for me will be that Halifax took all the money I wanted to invest on Tuesday and probably wont return the surplus until Monday  .... if it's the same for all the share dealing companies then they are sitting on  a backet load of peoples money for around a week  .. wonder what sort of return they get on all that money

Edit: Halifax have already credited my account with the left over money  ..how did I ever doubt them :blush:

Edited by tonyh29

coda, on 11 Oct 2013 - 10:39 AM, said:coda, on 11 Oct 2013 - 10:39 AM, said:

So if you bought £1000 Royal Mail shares which have gone up 36% how much do they take out of your 'winnings' for transaction fees etc? Can you flog them right away?

if you applied for £750 - £10,000 you got 227 shares

So I've made £249 in half an hour  , in theory

Can't actually sell them until the 15th  .... I'll have a look in the meantime to decide if I want to hang on to them or buy more  etc

more interesting for me will be that Halifax took all the money I wanted to invest on Tuesday and probably wont return the surplus until Monday  .... if it's the same for all the share dealing companies then they are sitting on  a backet load of peoples money for around a week  .. wonder what sort of return they get on all that money

Do you have to pay a broker? Is there a fee or percentage taken when buying/selling?

Â