How much do you have in your bank account?

donnie

12 weeks leave was difficult to negotiate, but it basically boiled down to them accepting it or me leaving. As the only accountant here, they decided it was easier for me to take the leave.

No, i'm not at all like that. If I have spare money, then it goes towards something worthwhile, but it will go on something sooner or later.

at our place you can take as long as you want off providing that you take it unpaid, one bloke last year took a 6 month career break, I suppose if you have enough saved that wages are not a problem that would be the way to go about it

• Like 1

Haha W.o.W addiction. Hilarious.

No point responding to this topic anymore as its clearly a show off/I haven't got THAT much really topic. 'Not earning much only 22k' just proves to me everything I need to know about you. So instead of going p.o.p and getting in a spot of bother I'll just leave it.

Why you so angry?! Lol

£22k is well below the uk average wage so nothing to brag about is it.

To be honest it does smack a bit of ''Look at me I have 11 grand in the bank'' and it raises the question if you were like me and had debts, lived in your overdraft and come the end of each month had to use your credit card to buy a loaf of bread and some milk, would you have created this topic.

It doesn't really bother me but I can see why it may annoy some people

Fair enough fella. But it genuinely wasn't meant to come across like that.why another poster would get so angry about it though ill never know lol

i don't think its a big issue, especially discussing with strangers on the internet.

I currently have just under £1k in my current account, which is pretty bad for me as i normally like to have a £2k buffer in there just in case.

£2k in savings, again i would normally have more, but just used a lump sum to buy Royal Mail shares.

I do have around £15k in other shares that i could sell in an emergency though.

i don't think its a big issue, especially discussing with strangers on the internet.

I currently have just under £1k in my current account, which is pretty bad for me as i normally like to have a £2k buffer in there just in case.

£2k in savings, again i would normally have more, but just used a lump sum to buy Royal Mail shares.

I do have around £15k in other shares that i could sell in an emergency though.

Exactly my point. Dont see issue.

£15k in shares seems a big amount.Ive looked into shares but seem to risky. You had much success from buying them??

My friend who goes out with my girlfriend's best friend is the cheapest man in the world, basically some company that he did his work placement in college gave him a "job" as a quantity surveyor, but he's on reception most days and earns €200 a week, €100 of this goes straight into his savings and he lives off the other other €100. The man is 25 and has the bones of €30,000 in the bank, but when ever he needs to buy anything he never goes near his saving and buys the cheapest of the cheap like our soccer team is all adidas and we all got football socks for €5 he went out and got Sondico ones for €1.50.

But anyway there's this story which I was never supposed to tell anyone because if it got back to his girlfriend she'd throw a hissy fit and I'd be in the dog house. So basically when he first started going out with his girlfriend, they went to lunch and she paid for both, then the second time she paid for both, also the third time, so anyway the fourth time she was adamant that she wasnt paying, but didn't say anything and just waited for him to get up to go and pay, so he gets up asks for the bill and goes "can we pay separately!".

£15k in shares seems a big amount.Ive looked into shares but seem to risky. You had much success from buying them??

a bit. 

a large chunk is in Standard Life where i got discounted shares when they floated as my wife had a pension policy with them. 

i could have sold at a slight profit, but their dividends are really good, so decided to keep them long-term instead.

I bought Lloyds bank shares when they crashed to 40p and then sold a few months later at 55p.

should have held my nerve though, would have doubled my money if i had kept them.

then i've got various bits and pieces (roughly £1k in each) that i'll buy and sell when the price looks right.

If they drop in value i just hold on to them long-term and usually will recover at some point in the future.

i'm keeping an eye on the TSB floatation next.

My friend who goes out with my girlfriend's best friend is the cheapest man in the world, basically some company that he did his work placement in college gave him a "job" as a quantity surveyor, but he's on reception most days and earns €200 a week, €100 of this goes straight into his savings and he lives off the other other €100. The man is 25 and has the bones of €30,000 in the bank, but when ever he needs to buy anything he never goes near his saving and buys the cheapest of the cheap like our soccer team is all adidas and we all got football socks for €5 he went out and got Sondico ones for €1.50.

But anyway there's this story which I was never supposed to tell anyone because if it got back to his girlfriend she'd throw a hissy fit and I'd be in the dog house. So basically when he first started going out with his girlfriend, they went to lunch and she paid for both, then the second time she paid for both, also the third time, so anyway the fourth time she was adamant that she wasnt paying, but didn't say anything and just waited for him to get up to go and pay, so he gets up asks for the bill and goes "can we pay separately!".

and she went out on a fifth date with him after that?   he must have a huge...

a bit.

a large chunk is in Standard Life where i got discounted shares when they floated as my wife had a pension policy with them.

i could have sold at a slight profit, but their dividends are really good, so decided to keep them long-term instead.

I bought Lloyds bank shares when they crashed to 40p and then sold a few months later at 55p.

should have held my nerve though, would have doubled my money if i had kept them.

then i've got various bits and pieces (roughly £1k in each) that i'll buy and sell when the price looks right.

If they drop in value i just hold on to them long-term and usually will recover at some point in the future.

i'm keeping an eye on the TSB floatation next.

Nice. Ill have to do some more research into this. I have a friend doing okay out of currency trading but that seems even riskier then shares. The new thing called bit coin trading seems to be taking off

ender4, on 09 Oct 2013 - 2:30 PM, said:

donnie, on 09 Oct 2013 - 1:51 PM, said:

I cashed out at 71p B)

Think it went up to 73p after I sold , but I always set an "out" price when I buy shares , 70 p in this case , I was juts lucky that by the time I saw the price and logged on I got an extra 1p per share

Bit coins I think you'd be bonkers to invest in personally , but I'm not a licensed FSA so don't take my advice

Be brave, how much do you have in your account??

I have £11k saved and £500 in my everyday account. Not much really considering im late 20's with no proper bills but more then my mates. I try to save at least £700 a month after ive paid bills and used the rest on meals, clothes, etc.

No idea how to invest it. I could use it as a deposit on a house for me and the gf but the thought of slaving my arse away to pay for a house is getting less appealing as I get older. I spending most my money on going abroad at least 5 times a year but I intend to use it all to travel the world in a year or two then ill have nothing but memories.

I'm assuming the "no proper bills" part means you're living with your parents? I see no way how people of our generation can save anywhere near that sort of money unless you have a very, very well paid job, or live with parents and have zero outgoings.

Also, FYI, eleven thousand pounds is shed load of money.

Not earning much only £22k. I rent with my gf but share the bills. My share is £200 a month rent, around £200 on other bills (electricity, etc) and £150 on petrol (insurance paid annually) about £150 on going Out. I can easily save between £500 - £700 a month (usually £700). When I say not proper bills I mean no silly £1000 a month mortgage and im not a mong who gets a car like a shitty punto on credit paying over £200 a month for 5 years like my friend did.

Saving just £500 a month brings in £6000 a year. Ive been working full time for 4-5 years now, so £11, 000 is nothing considering I have no mortgage or mega monthly bills to pay. Going on holidays is more important to me then buying a house.

This may be simplifying things, but why do you bother saving so much then? Why not head off to South America or something for a few weeks?

Getting a few weeks off is next to impossible in a full time job (well it has been in my experience) and convincing my gf to go is just as bad. Only go for no more then a week each time but always to a different country.

Why would you not want to save?? Surely you need something to tide you over to pay an unexpected bill or to save to go travelling. living paycheck to paycheck is a sad way to live imo

Most big companies insist you take 2 weeks off in a row once a year for insurance reasons. Certainly in the financial sector

Most big companies insist you take 2 weeks off in a row once a year for insurance reasons. Certainly in the financial sector

Really? I've always worked for large companies and my wife works in the financial sector and we've never heard of companies insisting on two weeks consecutive leave. What insurance reasons are there?

At our place the engineers have two take 1 two week holiday a year for audit reasons

First 'insurance', now 'audit' reasons. What does that even mean? Are people sure it's not just B.S. to get employees to take sections of leave that suit the needs of the business and not necessarily the staff?

Yeah I can't say I've ever heard of that one. I work in the insurance industry and it's certainly never been mentioned.

It also couldn't be a global thing, as I'm fairly sure a number of countries worldwide don't do the whole standard fortnight holiday thing - I understand that it's very rare for US people to take a two week break for instance.

Edited by Chindie

At our place the engineers have two take 1 two week holiday a year for audit reasons

First 'insurance', now 'audit' reasons. What does that even mean? Are people sure it's not just B.S. to get employees to take sections of leave that suit the needs of the business and not necessarily the staff?

I always guessed it was because our engineers strike up relationships with the more popular garages, quite a few over the past few years have been found out for agreeing inflated labour rates in exchange for a cut of the extra money that the garage have made.

2 weeks off and another engineer going into that garage is usually enough to flag up any dodgy dealings.

Really? I've always worked for large companies and my wife works in the financial sector and we've never heard of companies insisting on two weeks consecutive leave. What insurance reasons are there?

In the financial sector it can be for compliance reasons.

I always guessed it was because our engineers strike up relationships with the more popular garages, quite a few over the past few years have been found out for agreeing inflated labour rates in exchange for a cut of the extra money that the garage have made.

2 weeks off and another engineer going into that garage is usually enough to flag up any dodgy dealings.

Wouldn't the dodgy engineer just tell the garage "I'm on leave for the next two weeks but normal service *wink wink* can resume when I'm back"? Either way, it's surprising that two weeks consecutive leave is enforced on tenuous anti-fraud reasons.

Â