How much do you have in your bank account?

donnie

Most big companies insist you take 2 weeks off in a row once a year for insurance reasons. Certainly in the financial sector

Really? I've always worked for large companies and my wife works in the financial sector and we've never heard of companies insisting on two weeks consecutive leave. What insurance reasons are there?

In the financial sector it can be for compliance reasons.

Just asked my wife (who is a Compliance Director - not kidding) and she has never heard of such reasons. What are the compliance reasons?

I can never understand the logic of people who can afford a deposit for a house but would rather carry on renting and paying somebody elses mortgage for them :-/

doing that right now... my rent is £650 a month, my mortgage would be £950 a month, Im looking to buy at the moment but unless its perfect it wont happen, several reasons why im in no rush, ive lived in 2 flats that were awesome for around a month and then ended up being horrible, the gf wants dogs and I don't and renting pushes that argument (and it gets very serious!) back, i'd then be under pressure to get married (which is IMO the biggest waste of money imaginable, doesn't interest me in the slightest)

im with Donnie, id rather go on holiday

Yup, it's just the engineers that have to do it and that's always been the official reason, I don't have to take a two week holiday every year but I normally tend to anyway

So, based on a five day week, an engineer who wants to take 9 days leave from say Tuesday in week 1 to Friday in week 2, can't because he might be committing fraud, but if he takes the Monday off as well it will prevent any such illegality? Bonkers!

My friend who goes out with my girlfriend's best friend is the cheapest man in the world, basically some company that he did his work placement in college gave him a "job" as a quantity surveyor

that's a prerequisite for the role!

Jesus I didn't create the rules I'm a lowly worker at the place who doesn't have to overly worry about the two week holiday thing.

As far as I know if someone wanted to only take a 9 day holiday that would be fines providing that during some other point in the year they take the full 10 day holiday, that would be pretty pointless though so I recon 99% of them would just take the ten days

Jesus I didn't create the rules I'm a lowly worker at the place who doesn't have to overly worry about the two week holiday thing.

As far as I know if someone wanted to only take a 9 day holiday that would be fines providing that during some other point in the year they take the full 10 day holiday, that would be pretty pointless though so I recon 99% of them would just take the ten days

:) I'm not saying you made the rules. I'm just questioning the validity of the reason you mentioned they give the workers. I guessed that taking a 1 to 9 holiday would be permitted provided they take a 10 day break within the same year but don't you think that a reason stating that a 10 day break helps prevent fraud but a 9 day holiday doesn't help prevent fraud is dodgy? Edited by brommy

I have friends who work for banks and take a compulsory two-week break. They were told it was to reduce fraud.

Was it ever explained how it reduces fraud?

I can't remember but I think it was to do with people being unable to cover their arses during an extended break.

I have friends who work for banks and take a compulsory two-week break. They were told it was to reduce fraud.

I can't remember but I think it was to do with people being unable to cover their arses during an extended break.

It would be interesting to know if that actually worked. I can't but help think there would be have been plenty of fraudsters over the years who enjoyed taking long expensive holidays without worrying about being caught. Similarly, I can't imagine many potential fraudsters thinking "if only I could take holidays of 9 days or less, I could make some serious money".

It would be interesting to know if that actually worked. I can't but help think there would be have been plenty of fraudsters over the years who enjoyed taking long expensive holidays without worrying about being caught. Similarly, I can't imagine many potential fraudsters thinking "if only I could take holidays of 9 days or less, I could make some serious money".

It may have been one of the FSA's hair-brained ideas.

Most big companies insist you take 2 weeks off in a row once a year for insurance reasons. Certainly in the financial sector

Really? I've always worked for large companies and my wife works in the financial sector and we've never heard of companies insisting on two weeks consecutive leave. What insurance reasons are there?
In the financial sector it can be for compliance reasons.
Just asked my wife (who is a Compliance Director - not kidding) and she has never heard of such reasons. What are the compliance reasons?

The idea is that any wrong doing can be discovered during the two weeks that someone is away. The extended time might allow for someone who's covering the absentees work to spot any fraudulent activity. I guess it's easier to cover up stuff if you're only away a day or two here and there.

The two week thing 100% exists in places. I haven't had to do it in my current company, we're an unusual case, but my previous company enforced a two week continuos period of leave.

MCTW is correct and I have seen across many organisations - a lot of companies put a "welfare" tag on it, to try and convince staff that they are ensuring they do not suffer from burn out

EDIT: Just found this also

http://www.inspiresme.co.uk/news/staff-and-hr/two-week-compulsory-holidays-could-prevent-fraud-05062/

Edited by drat01

Tamuff_Villa, on 10 Oct 2013 - 12:56 PM, said:

I'm thinking of starting a new thread "how big is your penis?" with the opening post being that mine is 12.8 inches long.

but you don't use it as a rule 

boom boom

12 weeks leave was difficult to negotiate, but it basically boiled down to them accepting it or me leaving. As the only accountant here, they decided it was easier for me to take the leave.

No, i'm not at all like that. If I have spare money, then it goes towards something worthwhile, but it will go on something sooner or later.

at our place you can take as long as you want off providing that you take it unpaid, one bloke last year took a 6 month career break, I suppose if you have enough saved that wages are not a problem that would be the way to go about it

I work in a bank and a woman has just announced that she's having a year break, and she'll be back on 09/10/2014.

To answer the OP:

None of your business, nosey.

Â