How much do you have in your bank account?

donnie

I don't know if it is a generation thing but I would never consider having a joint account that my salary goes into. I can understand having a joint 'bills account' that each partner pays a set amount into every month to cover rent/bills/shopping etc but not one where the whole salary goes in. 

I don't know if it is a generation thing but I would never consider having a joint account that my salary goes into. I can understand having a joint 'bills account' that each partner pays a set amount into every month to cover rent/bills/shopping etc but not one where the whole salary goes in. 

Very wise. Stripping the joint account is usually the first sign that the relationship is about to end.

You are quite right about it being generation thing and it is possible to age people by their attitude towards whose money is whose within a relationship.

The general rule used to be, that all the boring bills were paid by hubby and if wifey worked the money was her own, which she had total discretion about how to dispose of. But even then it was always considered that work was only ever an option for the woman, who was never expected to maximise her earnings by doing a job she didn't like.

It is very odd to discover that, even now, that when older couples go out together, the woman won't have any money with her and round buying turns into a two-for-the-price-of-one thing, which is considered outrageous to challenge.

I understand that things have shifted substantially as regards money in relationships, but exactly how far I am not sure.

Â