Transfer Speculation (Summer 2013)

samjp26

Well if were going down the cheap road again i think we will be in for another long difficult season

We just need a few quality players with a bit of experience especially in defence

Didn't we say this last year? And wasn't it the experienced players that let us down?

Yes but you will notice i didn't just put experience i also mentioned quality

The idea of going through another season relying on Vlaar Clark and Baker sends a shiver down my spine

We need a quality CB and i don't think it will be cheap

Well if were going down the cheap road again i think we will be in for another long difficult season

We just need a few quality players with a bit of experience especially in defence

Well we already have 4 or 5 players who will be stronger for this season so unlike last season we have a basis to work on.

I have no problems with wanting players who are hungry and looking at players with character, not those who just want money. But I do want to see Lambert backed with enough money to buy the players he will want that will make us safe before the 37th game next season and it would not seem unreasonable to give him up to £30m to spend in this window on say a couple of £7 - 8m signings and 2 or 3 @ around £3 - £4m. I also think we will need to offer Benteke something on a par with what Gabby is getting and show some ambition with our signings if we are to seriously try to keep him and show we are not a selling or feeder club.

I totally agree John. Lambert will continue in the same vein and I don't expect any mega signings but hope he will bring in some experienced players to strengthen the defence and a few more young gems. I am not going to stress out this summer because he has set out his stall and we know there will no surprises - I.e. we shouldn't be expecting any £10 - £20 million type signings.

I expect us to do much better next season and to progressively improve over the next 3-4 seasons but what we will achieve over that time is anyone's guess. If we could finish mid season next year playing entertaining football, get at least 3 points from Man U, do the double on the baggies and have a good cup run I would be happy!

Edited by MikeMcKenna
  • Like 2

I think there will be a similar budget to last season which was aprox £20 million net. What Lambert got with that £20 million is now a £10 million right back, a midfielder who's on par with Joe Allen's first premier league season who went for £15 million a decent centre half and a striker I wouldn't sell for less than £30 million. Not forgetting he resigned Guzan that's and Sylla looks decent towards the end of the season that's not a bad strike rate. I still think KEA and Bennett could come good also. Only Holman looks totally average and McLeish signed him.

So a couple of £7-8 million signings and a few £2-3 million signings by the looks. Totally going forward with the Borussia Dortmund model.

I think you're exactly right with the values of players we're going to go for.

• A good centre back can be had for £5m. I like Kjaer (Wolfsburg), de Vrij (Feyenoord), Ecule (Lorient), Okore (Nordsjaelland)
  • There's some left backs out there who could compete with Bennett for £2m. - We're absolutely not going to spend a lot of money in this position. N'Sakala from Troyes who just got relegated from Ligue 1 I think could be good.
  • An attacking midfielder I think will be our biggest outlay and most important signing. Like I've said before I really really like Van Ginkel (Vitesse) if Ajax don't take him. Will Hughes (Derby) I personally think is a better prospect than the often talked about Zaha but he'll cost probably too much than we're willing to pay. Praet (Anderlecht) is a gifted, nimble passer. And one probably not on anyone's radar,
    has 6 goals and 12 assists in his first season in Austria and has been playing first team football for 3 years - he's only 20.
  • A versatile winger/striker is what I feel is our last need. Someone to spell Gabby and Weimann if they're not in form and what not. Thievy Bifouma (Las Palmas), Nacer Chadli (Twente) and MArius Alexe (dinamo bucharest) are all guys I see moving this summer.
  • Like 4

I think we will move back to Lamberts favoured 4-1-2-1-2 formation at the start of next season.

Guzan

Lowton  Vlaar  New  New

Ash

Sylla    Delph

New AM

Weimann  Benteke

Would be the minimum for me, Ideally, I'd like to see Westwood moved to Sylla's position with a strong more traditional DM in there. Hopefully the 'New' AM will be in the German-mould i.e. able to play wide too and then it could quite easily move to the 4-3-3 we have used lately, which I think is better balanced for us with a quick sub.

Guzan

Lowton  Vlaar  New  New

Sylla Ash Delph

New AM                 Gabby

Benteke

(I don't like Weimann on the wing)

Edit: Im not exactly a huge fan of either of these formations, but prefer the 4-3-3 as it gives us more width and balance. If we can find a good partner for Westwood i'd prefer us to go 4-2-3-1. Give it a couple of years and maybe that could be Gardner.

Westwood Gardner

Carruthers   Grealish    Graham

Benteke

Could be quite nice in the future eh?

Edited by HalfTimePost

Gonna be interesting in the summer. Have to keep Benteke and Lambert knows it, getting the others signed up on new terms also very important. With the TV money plus the outgoing fees (DB9) it will be interesting to see who we can attract. I see we're still being linked with Chester from Hull although didnt he sign a brucie bonus new deal in Jan?

Gonna be interesting in the summer. Have to keep Benteke and Lambert knows it, getting the others signed up on new terms also very important. With the TV money plus the outgoing fees (DB9) it will be interesting to see who we can attract. I see we're still being linked with Chester from Hull although didnt he sign a brucie bonus new deal in Jan?

Nope wouldn't sign a new deal as their 2nd offer of a contract was "worse" than the first... Also with the interest from  us in Jan maybe his head has been turned a little, would be a very good Cb for us in my opinion, couple of Hull supporting mates reckon he's top class!

I think there will be a similar budget to last season which was aprox £20 million net. What Lambert got with that £20 million is now a £10 million right back, a midfielder who's on par with Joe Allen's first premier league season who went for £15 million a decent centre half and a striker I wouldn't sell for less than £30 million. Not forgetting he resigned Guzan that's and Sylla looks decent towards the end of the season that's not a bad strike rate. I still think KEA and Bennett could come good also. Only Holman looks totally average and McLeish signed him.

So a couple of £7-8 million signings and a few £2-3 million signings by the looks. Totally going forward with the Borussia Dortmund model.

• A good centre back can be had for £5m. I like Kjaer (Wolfsburg), de Vrij (Feyenoord), Ecule (Lorient), Okore (Nordsjaelland)
  • There's some left backs out there who could compete with Bennett for £2m. - We're absolutely not going to spend a lot of money in this position. N'Sakala from Troyes who just got relegated from Ligue 1 I think could be good.
  • An attacking midfielder I think will be our biggest outlay and most important signing. Like I've said before I really really like Van Ginkel (Vitesse) if Ajax don't take him. Will Hughes (Derby) I personally think is a better prospect than the often talked about Zaha but he'll cost probably too much than we're willing to pay. Praet (Anderlecht) is a gifted, nimble passer. And one probably not on anyone's radar,
    has 6 goals and 12 assists in his first season in Austria and has been playing first team football for 3 years - he's only 20.
  • A versatile winger/striker is what I feel is our last need. Someone to spell Gabby and Weimann if they're not in form and what not. Thievy Bifouma (Las Palmas), Nacer Chadli (Twente) and MArius Alexe (dinamo bucharest) are all guys I see moving this summer.

Yes, Valon is a really good player. I would actually try to swoop for his little brother as well, Veton. Both of them have huge potential imo.

Wes - Your knowledge of the transfer market is truly phenominal. I feel like I'm witnessing the 8th wonder of the world when I read your posts. Truly amazing!.

Yes, Valon is a really good player. I would actually try to swoop for his little brother as well, Veton. Both of them have huge potential imo.

If Delph hadn't of improved in the final half of the season I would've said Magnus Wolff Eikrem too from the Tippeligaen. I'm not sure we need another player of his ilk in the squad right now though.

Wes - Your knowledge of the transfer market is truly phenominal. I feel like I'm witnessing the 8th wonder of the world when I read your posts. Truly amazing!.

It's all speculation, same as any other post in here. I just like looking at data :)

Edited by Wes

Will Hughes would be an AMAZING signing! he has so much potential and i see him being as good as Modric, that sort of player. I reckon they would want atleast £12m for him though and he might not even come anyway because he knows he's going to a top club eventually!

Just hope we get players already of good quality who can further improve! If i was lambert and i was being ambitious i would look to sign:

Kone £4m (Wigan)

Had two great seasons now, arguably could call him 'Wigans Benteke' and was quality at Levente last season aswell and got 15 goals! Works hard too so could do the wing job of gabby and andi, quick too.

James Mccarthy £8m (Wigan)

Undeniably Wigans best player for me! works so hard and has the quality for top 6 team, but not sure one of them will go in for him!

Will Hughes £12m (Derby)

Going to be an absolute player in a few years time, if we get him in i have no doubt he would be awesome. Then probably well him on for about £25m in a few years if he continues to progress like he is currently doing!

Dragovic £5m (Basel)

Watched him a few times in the europa league and he was absolutely quality, 22, hungry and built for the prem!

and then try and get in either Ryan Bertrand (chelsea) or Fabio (man u) on loan to cover the left back position incase we have a disaster next season but personally i believe that if Joe Bennet gets down the gym a little bit then he can be a decent player for us!!

If we got those players, it would cost us £29m and would improve the team massively in my opinion! Would have to seriously be considering european qualification if we got those in?

The size of the fee guarantees nothing other than lowering the odds of signing a duffer.

( with a true simon cowell snigger 7-8 mill never bought us much in the past)

on a serious note......I just hope we can sign some players that are comfortable with the ball have a first touch and CAN trap a bag of cement.

The rest I will trust the Manager.

I see Steven Defour is being linked with Norwich, would be gutted if they got him over us. ( I know it's just paper speculation) always wanted him at Villa. Hopefully Benteke could put a word in for us.

I see Steven Defour is being linked with Norwich, would be gutted if they got him over us. ( I know it's just paper speculation) always wanted him at Villa. Hopefully Benteke could put a word in for us.

Didn't we say this last year? And wasn't it the experienced players that let us down?

Yes but you will notice i didn't just put experience i also mentioned quality

The idea of going through another season relying on Vlaar Clark and Baker sends a shiver down my spine

We need a quality CB and i don't think it will be cheap

Agree totally.

Clark I have no time for - Baker is OK , as is Vlaar. But we really need a top notch CB in there. James Chester at the very least. Although a lot of clubs will be after him, so he won't come cheap. To be honest I think the squad will be pretty similar to what we have now. With similar results.

Just hope we get players already of good quality who can further improve! If i was lambert and i was being ambitious i would look to sign:

Kone £4m (Wigan)

Had two great seasons now, arguably could call him 'Wigans Benteke' and was quality at Levente last season aswell and got 15 goals! Works hard too so could do the wing job of gabby and andi, quick too.

James Mccarthy £8m (Wigan)

Undeniably Wigans best player for me! works so hard and has the quality for top 6 team, but not sure one of them will go in for him!

Will Hughes £12m (Derby)

Going to be an absolute player in a few years time, if we get him in i have no doubt he would be awesome. Then probably well him on for about £25m in a few years if he continues to progress like he is currently doing!

Dragovic £5m (Basel)

Watched him a few times in the europa league and he was absolutely quality, 22, hungry and built for the prem!

and then try and get in either Ryan Bertrand (chelsea) or Fabio (man u) on loan to cover the left back position incase we have a disaster next season but personally i believe that if Joe Bennet gets down the gym a little bit then he can be a decent player for us!!

If we got those players, it would cost us £29m and would improve the team massively in my opinion! Would have to seriously be considering european qualification if we got those in?

That would great. But Lambert has warned us not to expect any big signings - which rules out most of those. I think you have underpriced Kone and Dragovic !

avfcwills10, with Whelan calling the shots at Wigan, I don't think Kone or Mccarthy will go for as cheap as £4m & £8m respectively.

I'm guessing around £7-8m for Kone, and closer to £10-12m for Mccarthy.

Who knows though, maybe they'll be after the money.

Unlike most people, I'd actually like to see Baker as first choice CB next year. I know he's prone to mistakes, and is like a cannon going into tackles. But I don't like the idea of both him & Clark being left on the bench.

They've both got potential to be decent Premier League players, and I think that with a better leftback and maybe a new CM, they will be given more protection and able to put in better performances.

(Saying that, I still would like us to bring in a CB, in case Vlaar gets injured. But I would be happy at giving Baker or Clark one more shot at being a first choice centreback)

Unlike most people, I'd actually like to see Baker as first choice CB next year. I know he's prone to mistakes, and is like a cannon going into tackles. But I don't like the idea of both him & Clark being left on the bench.

They've both got potential to be decent Premier League players, and I think that with a better leftback and maybe a new CM, they will be given more protection and able to put in better performances.

(Saying that, I still would like us to bring in a CB, in case Vlaar gets injured. But I would be happy at giving Baker or Clark one more shot at being a first choice centreback)

Baker yes he has some good qualities and there is something to work with. Clark I just don't see at all.