The Randy Lerner thread

CI

He wants out, or at least he did, I imagine he probably still does. Whether he wants out more than the fans want him out, I'm not sure. Hopefully he can sell us in the summer, because I think that's the only chance we have of moving forward as a club, whichever division we're in.

13 minutes ago, MikeMcKenna said:

In another thread talking about Lerner, yet another person has stated "he wants out...". 

But does he? 

Some believe that it is a black and white situation with Lerner saying: 

"Give me a £150 (?) million and it's yours...."

I have now been told by two separate sources that any buyer may have to pick up some debt in excess of the asking price albeit of certain repayment terms. Add this to Fox's statement a year ago that Lerner "is not a motivated seller' and you have to question how much 'he wants out..." 

As it stands AVFC has a value on Lerners books. Having converted a tranche of £90 Million debt into equity he has already devalued its book value once but I sincerely believe he is not prepared to write off any more of the debt. The asking price may indeed be £150 million, but the buyer may also be required to pick up another £90 million worth of debt, albeit with long term credit and repayment terms. 

Don't want to depress everybody, but Lerner doesn't need to sell. He can claim on his books that AVFC is still worth (to him) £XXXXXX plus the outstanding debt. He will only realise an even bigger loss if he sells and obviously doesn't need the cash. So when we are relegated he will be even less motivated to sell and be prepared to wait.

I believe he is gambling (again) that we will be back in Premier League within 1/2 seasons, having generated a higher profile and greater appeal to wealthy suitors who are attracted by the massive income potential of an Premier League club. Imo Fox, Hollis et al have been tasked with running AVFC in the championship at breakeven and eventually selling the club on Lerners terms. Despite Lerners massive investment in AVFC, paying off to his ex-wife etc he is still a billionaire having sold the Browns for $1 billion. 

To those who say, Lerner wants to sell, and isn't the problem, I would respectfully suggest you are wrong - he know that at the price he wants Villa is unsaleable. In his mind he has been benevolent in the past but now it is all about the money! 

We are stuck with Lerner for years to come! 

Yep. Spot on.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, useless said:

He wants out, or at least he did, I imagine he probably still does. Whether he wants out more than the fans want him out, I'm not sure. Hopefully he can sell us in the summer, because I think that's the only chance we have of moving forward as a club, whichever division we're in.

He wants out, on his terms.

The only way to accelerate it is by making  it a more urgent priority for him, we either make his life a lot more difficult, which is difficult when the word removed lives in America and never turns up to a game, or we make sure the club brings in even less money until he leaves.

• Like 3

I generally try not to care about people outside my family and friends.

I see them most as a nuisance and avoid getting emotionally involved.

But I can honestly say I loathe Randy Lerner.

• Like 1

I agree with a lot of the most recent posts on here. Like Terrytini says, the asking price is the problem.

Imagine wanting to buy a classic car but, not only do you have to pay the asking price of more than was originally paid for it but, you also have to pay for it to be brought up to standard as well as taking on the owner's debt for the cowboy jobs he'd had done on it over the years. Any takers? 

If people stay away, Lerner (well, his henchmen) will just blame the lack of fan support. I can only see him being forced into a sale from his family via the family name being tarnished over and over in the media. I think they would eventually have enough and put pressure on him to lower the asking price to what someone will be willing to pay. 

What I fail to understand is how we are so much in debt to him, as well as already having paid money back to him and also, the supposed millions that he's lost. 

The Sun's two page spread last week revealed a net spend of around £117m over Lerner's 10 year ownership. An average of £11.7m per season. If true, and all the debt and losses rumours are true, where did the money go? I mean, making a loss of £117m on players, owing him £90m, him already being paid back debt in the past and, him writing off millions etc. All that doesn't seem right. Did we never make any money in the last 10 years? 

5 minutes ago, villarocker said:

What I fail to understand is how we are so much in debt to him, as well as already having paid money back to him and also, the supposed millions that he's lost. 

The Sun's two page spread last week revealed a net spend of around £117m over Lerner's 10 year ownership. An average of £11.7m per season. If true, and all the debt and losses rumours are true, where did the money go? I mean, making a loss of £117m on players, owing him £90m, him already being paid back debt in the past and, him writing off millions etc. All that doesn't seem right. Did we never make any money in the last 10 years? 

Managers and Wages.

21 minutes ago, villarocker said:

I agree with a lot of the most recent posts on here. Like Terrytini says, the asking price is the problem.

Imagine wanting to buy a classic car but, not only do you have to pay the asking price of more than was originally paid for it but, you also have to pay for it to be brought up to standard as well as taking on the owner's debt for the cowboy jobs he'd had done on it over the years. Any takers? 

If people stay away, Lerner (well, his henchmen) will just blame the lack of fan support. I can only see him being forced into a sale from his family via the family name being tarnished over and over in the media. I think they would eventually have enough and put pressure on him to lower the asking price to what someone will be willing to pay. 

The "stay away" protest will happen automatically when we are relegated. As regards 'him being forced into a sale', I have no idea whether it would be possible by any means but for any campaign to have an impact it would require massive support across the spectrum of support. Unfortunately as the debates on VT and elsewhere show it would be almost impossible to get the required support. All those who campaigned against Ellis received a lot of vitriol, so few if any would be prepared to stick their heads above the parapet again!

I hate to say it but there is **** all we can do :-(

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

Clueless, absolutely clueless. If there was a season to invest and stay up it was this season, with the TV money and all. He is a banker I guess, why expect more.

I'm sure there is a spelling mistake in this post somewhere! 

• Like 4

Â