Brad Guzan

R.Bear

24 minutes ago, AntrimBlack said:

I would have thought that a player would be more confident against a lower league team. Doesn't make sense that he would be more nervous.

Of course it does if you're low on confidence.  You're expected to perform better against a lower league team as they're inferior to you - so there's basically more pressure to perform well.  Same way that there's a lack of expectation if we played Barcelona so you'd expect to see a more relaxed performance, nowhere near the same level of nerves.

57 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Of course it does if you're low on confidence.  You're expected to perform better against a lower league team as they're inferior to you - so there's basically more pressure to perform well.  Same way that there's a lack of expectation if we played Barcelona so you'd expect to see a more relaxed performance, nowhere near the same level of nerves.

Once upon a time, I used to play the tuba in a school brass band. Mostly, we played in the school hall. One time, we played in the Symphony Hall to thousands of people. I can tell you which time was the most nerve-wracking, and it wasn't playing in the school hall. 

• Like 1

Just now, HanoiVillan said:

Once upon a time, I used to play the tuba in a school brass band. Mostly, we played in the school hall. One time, we played in the Symphony Hall to thousands of people. I can tell you which time was the most nerve-wracking, and it wasn't playing in the school hall. 

One time... at band camp....

• Like 3

1 hour ago, bobzy said:

I can't agree with that. The bigger the game, the bigger the occasion the more pressure players will feel. A cup final against a world class team is going to generate more pressure on a player than a home game agaisnt a non league team. 

1 minute ago, DCJonah said:

I can't agree with that. The bigger the game, the bigger the occasion the more pressure players will feel. A cup final against a world class team is going to generate more pressure on a player than a home game agaisnt a non league team. 

I think a player low on confidence could fear either situation. It is just as easy to imagine a player fearing that they will be embarrassed by losing to a lower league team as it is to envisage a player bottling the game on a big occasion.

1 hour ago, HanoiVillan said:

That is a hilariously awful analogy.

59 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

That's an extreme situation though.

All bobzy (and previously me) was suggesting was that a player already low on confidence, especially a goalkeeper, might be nervous facing a lower quality side because he's already under pressure and is expected to play well.

It's not an excuse. A good goalkeeper should be able to rise above it. It was just an observation.

Edited by Stevo985

Anyone who has performed on stage or in an arena knows the a "performer" becomes more weary of the stage/arena and the occasion rather than the crowd.

However, the sheer extremes the  Villa fans go to is definately something that would make any player nervous.

The Villa Park roar is incredible.

( I once took a German business contact to VP. It was when we beat Chelsea 2-1 coming from behind. I got tickets in the Holte End, he was scared when the winner went in. He said no the last time I invited him)

When the fans turn, we are the most vicious I've ever seen.

at least we're good at something.

Edited by Grasshopper

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

That's an extreme situation though.

All bobzy (and previously me) was suggesting was that a player already low on confidence, especially a goalkeeper, might be nervous facing a lower quality side because he's already under pressure and is expected to play well.

It's not an excuse. A good goalkeeper should be able to rise above it. It was just an observation.

I don't disagree with that. I just disagreed with the example bobzy gave at the top of the page. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

This. I always felt more relaxed against a known inferior team.

3 hours ago, DCJonah said:

You mean something like an FA cup final against Arsenal; watched by the future king (who supposedly supports the team you play for), about 90,000 people in the stadium, millions and millions of people at home and also the 'Lesser Spotted Lerner'.

I'm sure our players would do us proud.

Apologies to anyone who had temporary forgotten that horrible day.

14 hours ago, DCJonah said:

In the situation of cup final versus earlier cup game in a competition, yes.

In the case of confidence being shot, bottom of the Premier League and being expected to brush aside a lower league opponent, I disagree.  The pressure then is far, far greater than "just" a Premier League game.  Remember the stick the manager/players got on here for losing to Bradford, Sheff Utd, Leyton Orient et al?

I just genuinely can't agree with that. Every mistake a goalkeeper makes in the Premier League is not only televised, but highlights are pored over all week. MOTD is already a bigger forum for discussion than a 15 minute segment of BBC News when FA Cup highlights are shown, and that's before you consider the possibility of Sky's panel discussing your performance in excruciating detail on a Monday night. 

I don't think any of the players give the tiniest of shits about the storms in a teacup we brew up on VillaTalk. 

Oddly enough, I am a professional trumpet player. I've played solos on live tv to millions of people. I've played the Albert hall countless times.

Very often the more intimate (lesser) gigs are the most nerve-racking.

You shouldn't confuse adrenalin with nerves.

Â