Brad Guzan

R.Bear

How was he treated like dirt? His form had got worse and worse and was rightfully dropped, as any player in any position should be if form drops. 

There's ways and means of doing so that can have a less catastrophic impact on the player. Obviously I don't know what was said to Guzan in private but it appears he was left as an outcast by the (one of the) previous regime(s) and he has never psychologically recovered; like so many of this squad he appears to be a broken man who isn't surrounded by the kind of talented players who can help to break a downward spiral.

But where some players can get by through persistence (arguably Westwood or Hutton, in this current team), or positivity (Ayew, for example), a goalkeeper is only ever really spotlit for negative reasons and he's struggled behind this colander of a defence, understandably so I think, so I don't think he's been treated particularly well by the club, no.

I can only think given he's been here so long (8 years) he's just been worn down by the decline like we all have and his performances now reflect this.

Still just let him go back home for a nominal fee or whatever, he can't have much left on his contract as he signed one during one of the Lambert seasons didn't he?

He signed a 4 year contract in July 2013 so he is with us in theory until July next year.

2 hours ago, MuleAthon said:

There's ways and means of doing so that can have a less catastrophic impact on the player. Obviously I don't know what was said to Guzan in private but it appears he was left as an outcast by the (one of the) previous regime(s) and he has never psychologically recovered; like so many of this squad he appears to be a broken man who isn't surrounded by the kind of talented players who can help to break a downward spiral.

But where some players can get by through persistence (arguably Westwood or Hutton, in this current team), or positivity (Ayew, for example), a goalkeeper is only ever really spotlit for negative reasons and he's struggled behind this colander of a defence, understandably so I think, so I don't think he's been treated particularly well by the club, no.

I'm sorry but he's a professional athlete, staggeringly well-compensated for his work. The only downside of that enormous financial compensation is that you're placed in a position of public scrutiny. He knew that when he signed a contract at a Premier League football club. On a human level, I would have sympathy for him if I thought he was cracking because it's all just too much for him, but I don't, I think he's just massively out of form. And for all this stuff about what a wonderful bloke he is, all anybody is going to remember come the end of this season is a succession of laughable howlers and a gum-spitting contest during a match. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, MuleAthon said:

Genuinely don't understand the tough time he got today, all the jeers etc seemed way over the top. He's not acted out anything like some of the other turds we have playing for us, and certainly not in more recent times.

It's clear his confidence was broken by Sherwood's behaviour over his (notable) error last year and he's playing behind a team where gaining that confidence back is nigh on impossible.

Guy needs to catch a break (as well as a football from crosses emoji57.png).

ah yes the old Sherwood is to blame for Guzan being crap again. was Sherwood fault he dropped a clanger last season vs Leicester when Ulloa scored and probably Sherwood fault Guzan hasnt kept us in or won us a game since Norwich in October 2013

• Like 2

even though the majority of people on here are in agreement that hes been turd and its time for a fresh look between the sticks, im still reading media articles with the opinion that he should be kept and will perform better in the championship.

well i highly doubt that, its going to be a tough league, which he most likely wont perform any better, also worth adding that he will probably want to move to keep any international career alive as well.

The opponents in the Championship will be worse, but that will not make him a better keeper, as shown above he was beaten in the air by Dyer ffs

And it's not like the money we pay him could not be put to better use

1 hour ago, benireduk said:

b1d33260daf23688db2d9ae387eef4fb.jpg67ebcfca6ad983b46d560438e18f875e.jpg12d811890ad5f4b6fe44a64ab30eb926.jpg

Tell me another PL keeper who had made as many blunders in the last 12 months that is still first choice?

Bunn back in for now please

....and he is still twice the GK Bunn is. Switching is not going to change anything.

• Like 2

He never used to, used to one of the best in the league for claiming crosses.

I think that showed me he was starting to decline when he started struggling to get crosses about 18 months ago. He has been worn down here.

1 year left on his deal so I'd just make him available for something like 2m and a few MLS clubs should be interested in that. 

11 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

I think that showed me he was starting to decline when he started struggling to get crosses about 18 months ago. He has been worn down here.

1 year left on his deal so I'd just make him available for something like 2m and a few MLS clubs should be interested in that. 

Agreed, seems to have been forgotten.

He was a breath of fresh air once Given was dropped, he was coming out and claiming everything...cleanly too.

49 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Needs to go, just offer him to every single MLS team and see what we can get. Else a mutual termination will be in order.

ill even take a draft pick at this stage to get rid of him

....and he is still twice the GK Bunn is. Switching is not going to change anything.

Sorry I'm not having that. Have you seen Guzan lately?

Guzan's confidence is shot and it rubs of on the defence. At least when Bunn was in goal we got a few positive results. Not saying he's the long term answer but he's better than Guzan in my opinion

12 hours ago, VillaChris said:

He really wasn't. I remember a game against Blackburn early on in his villa career and he flapped at everything. To claim he was one of the best in the league is a massive exaggeration. 

4 hours ago, DCJonah said:

He really wasn't. I remember a game against Blackburn early on in his villa career and he flapped at everything. To claim he was one of the best in the league is a massive exaggeration. 

That's true, but he improved massively after that. Maybe not best in the league, but of keepers outside the top 4 clubs he was definitely up there. How times have changed.

5 hours ago, DCJonah said:

He was, though. This isn't opinion, this is measurable. He literally led the league in crosses claimed in Lambert's first season here; according to Squawka he had an average claim success of 94%. It's not exaggeration, it's statistical fact. It's stunning how much he has declined in just a few years.

• Like 1

Â