Relegation Thread Version...99?!

jackbauer24

5 hours ago, chrissmith921 said:

8 wins it is.

We need a few shocks but hey, we're playing well, we're harder to beat than we were and on set pieces we look a danger.

We're going to need to do something like beat Chelsea at home, or Spurs, or United away in this but a few results going our way and this is on

I've always said 9 wins would keep us up. It will be tight but 6 wins and 2 draws gets us another 20 points and onto 36 points which we could squeak home by.

Important we avoid our annual thrashings in Manchester aswell this season, even one nil defeats would be o.k as long as we get points in other games as the GD is very close between the bottom 4 now.

14 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

I agree.

Forget what everyone else is doing. We need to aim for the 38 point mark or there abouts.

Unless we get to that it probably won't matter what everyone else does.

Totally disagree - we need to focus on catching the team above us, and then once we've caught them, focus on the one above etc.

We won't need 38 points if everyone else collapses, we just need to get close enough to be in contention, sooner the better.

3 hours ago, VillaChris said:

I've always said 9 wins would keep us up. It will be tight but 6 wins and 2 draws gets us another 20 points and onto 36 points which we could squeak home by.

Important we avoid our annual thrashings in Manchester aswell this season, even one nil defeats would be o.k as long as we get points in other games as the GD is very close between the bottom 4 now.

Lets say we won the next 2, on your logic that would mean we are aiming for 4 wins from games including Swansea, Bournemouth and Newcastle - then we might feel as though things are back in our hands to extent (although not really). 

What I'm trying to say is back-to-back wins would make a massive difference to us. Sadly I've been saying this since the Newcastle game in December.

8 hours ago, GeordieVillan said:

Totally disagree - we need to focus on catching the team above us, and then once we've caught them, focus on the one above etc.

We won't need 38 points if everyone else collapses, we just need to get close enough to be in contention, sooner the better.

With our fixtures, that's a terrible way of looking at it.

8 hours ago, GeordieVillan said:

i disagree with both to be fair, we need to focus on ourselves, heads down, work hard, take each game as it comes and see where we end up, dont set points targets because it'll get you going in to games like city away thinking "we need a win here" and at the same time i think looking at everyone else is a dangerous game, it can result in us playing well and getting a point again say city away lifting confidence only for norwich to win away at swansea the same weekend and then it be considered not good enough

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Robbie09 said:

I've seen all our league games this season and can confidently say WBA are the worst team in the league.

We'll see how the league table ends up. I expect they (and everyone else bar maybe Sunderland) will finish above us.

Edit: I just saw they already have 29 points. They are miles better than us.

Edited by villa89

36 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

i disagree with both to be fair, we need to focus on ourselves, heads down, work hard, take each game as it comes and see where we end up, dont set points targets because it'll get you going in to games like city away thinking "we need a win here" and at the same time i think looking at everyone else is a dangerous game, it can result in us playing well and getting a point again say city away lifting confidence only for norwich to win away at swansea the same weekend and then it be considered not good enough

That';s kind of what I meant though. Concentrate on getting as many points as possible. The 38 point target was just me saying that that's usually about what you need to stay up. If we don't get to around that total then it doesn't matter what everybody else does.

We're not going to finish above anyone if we don't get to the 30+ point mark. So for me, until we hit that sort of points total, with enough games left to make it to 36-40, it doesn't matter one iota what the other clubs are doing.

I'll worry about catching and overtaking other clubs when I think we can get to a points total that matters.

• Like 1

If we beat Liverpool and Stoke, and Newcastle lose to Chelsea this weekend, we'll be putting the pressure on them massively as they don't play the weekend we face Stoke. So although they have a game in hand, they'll be only 2 points ahead of us while still having to play us. They then have to face a Stoke side that have just lost at home to Villa as their 3rd loss in 4 matches. I feel like they'll choke, which makes the Tottenham and City games freebies in a sense...just like they were last season and we managed to get 3 points from them (should have been 6!). 

Long story short, I think we should take these next 2 games very seriously as winning them will really put us right back into the contention and ease the pressure off of us, while piling it onto the teams above us, Newcastle especially (who are the ones we need to catch to stay up). 

I actually look at Swansea as ones to catch but we obviously need to go there and win otherwise that is futile.

I say that as if say we can while the points gap to them down to 2-3 going into the last 4 games their last 4 are Leicester (a), Liverpool (h), West Ham (a) and Man. City at home.

Indeed their next three are Southampton tomorrow which looks a draw and then back to back aways at Arsenal and Spurs. So really we need to be eating into that 11 point gap from this weekend.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

away to arsenal final game, goodnight Villa if not gone by then

Well Wenger might rest his first team with another FA Cup Final to play the following week if the title is secured or by then beyond them or he might do his mate Remi a favour or we could lose but still get the job done (like in 80/81) by the teams below us not getting the right result to get above us for example Swansea at home to Manchester City, Sunderland at Watford, Newcastle at home to Spurs, Norwich at Everton, WBA at home to Liverpool and Bournemouth at home to Stoke.....  

Edited by John

7 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

If you offered me needing to win on the last day to stay up from our current position I'd bite your arm off.

Garde at Arsenal for us to stay up?? It's written in the stars or it'll be written I the Daily Star after the reporter reads this!!! 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dn1982 said:

Garde at Arsenal for us to stay up?? It's written in the stars or it'll be written I the Daily Star after the reporter reads this!!! 

At the same time handing the league to Leicestershire...

Some are saying we need 8 wins?

We havent done more than 10 since Houllier season which we only had 12.

Infact weve stayed up under Mcleash with only 7 wins. Going to last game safe.

I know weve lost too much on the first round, couple more draws would have helped.

We have 12 games excluding Arsenal. 2 write offs all of these are away.

The other 10 are 3 6-pointers one away. And the other 7 are mixture of midtable and top half teams.

If we win the must win games and three of the rest. We would be on 34 points.

Winning Liverpool for me would suggest we have a chance more than when Sherwood came. As we would need on win more but in terms of form weve clicked on earlier.

People kept saying other teams winning wont matter. 

Had Swansea failed to win against Watford and not sure who else. We would have been only 5 points from them for example.

Same goes with Newcastle winning vs West Ham.

If Leicester wasnt catching teams andbeing in touch last season I doubt they would have done it.

I hope all results goed our way tomorrow, would give us a relief before our game.

If we can reduce the difference to under 6 points we always stand a chance of getting out of this. We really need to keep it under 6 points and win our 6 pointers. There will be teams at the beach and also those who underestimate us being the bottom club.

• Like 1

Â